Survival gear

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone mention hot pockets? Those little baggies you open up and get hot on their own? They heat up quick last a long time.
An excellent suggestion, just keep in mind that they do have a shelf life and will become ineffective after a period of time.

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An excellent suggestion, just keep in mind that they do have a shelf life and will become ineffective after a period of time.

x2....always seems to be a crapshoot with these things...had some last year that were toast

EmEight

Reaction score
Great thread. I will be adding to my survival kit with some of the items listed above.

How strange that this is the first thread about survival. But about a thousand about how to make your sled fasted, lighter, bad asser... Priorities?? And the storage on these newer sleds is pretty crappy. Unless you buy extra storage it is very limited. Who wants to carry all that extra weight in your backpack? I rode a 2009 m8 for a few years and there was a huge amount of storage in the seat. Not so much with the xm I have now.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hatchet
Saw
Lighters
Fire starter packs
Knee high hunting socks
Spare tshirt and ginch
Granola bars
Headlamp
Kenwood vhf radio
Garmin Rino
iPhone charger
Tool pack
First aid stuff
Tape
Rope
Wire
Red rags
Flag tape
Garbage bags
SnoBunje and handle
3' fuel hose
Pain killers
Butter Ripple
4-5 knives
Glow stick
Flares
Gum
Touque
Mitts
Azz wipe

Will add a whistle, bivy bag and tarp now after reading this.

Good thread here AkNomad! Keep it going riders!

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw, first aid kit, tarp, space blankets, pain killers, water proof matchs, tampon, hot packs, high calorie bars, flash light warm gloves and extra sweater this all fits in my float 30 no problem oh and 2 Roman candles can be used to signal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hatchet
Saw
Lighters
Fire starter packs
Knee high hunting socks
Spare tshirt and ginch
Granola bars
Headlamp
Kenwood vhf radio
Garmin Rino
iPhone charger
Tool pack
First aid stuff
Tape
Rope
Wire
Red rags
Flag tape
Garbage bags
SnoBunje and handle
3' fuel hose
Pain killers
Butter Ripple
4-5 knives
Glow stick
Flares
Gum
Touque
Mitts
Azz wipe

Will add a whistle, bivy bag and tarp now after reading this.

Good thread here AkNomad! Keep it going riders!
Butter ripple should be first lol

I've seen it on the top inside of ur tunnel bag

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All these items are good. But if alone or just 2 its a lot to carry and if one hurt only one to do survival. I think one of the most important is a group of adleast 4 riders or more. Always pair up and never lose your partner, this way some is there to see and help. Someone hurt you have someone to stay with and always 2 to go for help. Now all your gear can be split up between 4 so not all that heavy on one person. Just ride within your ability and know your terrian.

Last edited:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting your hands on strong pain killers is a great idea if you have connections. I have left over t3 and percocets from a surgury. Was able to give a guy a perc to reduce pain and then set his dislocated shoulder up salmon lake.

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy has a vacuum sealing unit which works great to reduce the amount of space for things like clothes, sweaters, socks, etc. Also works great for the painkillers so they remain in appropriate dose sizes even if they get crushed after a while.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
carry some cordage, (dental floss, fishing line, mechanics wire...) as most can't carry snowshoes, but with pine bows, knife and something to tie them together you can make a very functional set of snowshoes. may save your life.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some have talked about having a tin can ... save some room by a cooker can or muffins pot and now u kill a couple birds with one stone ... another thought I had the other day thinking about what happened last week .. if u knew things where getting bad and I was riding out by myself I would be putting a match to my sled and piling branches on top there is no way u could miss that smoke

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread....some excellent ideas that I'm gonna have to add to my gear. One thing I carry for starting fires I call diesel dust. Just sawdust soaked in diesel fuel and stored in a small size peanut butter jar(plastic) with a lid that screws on tight. A pile of maybe 1/4 of a cup will burn for prob 5 min to get the wood going even if its a bit wet. Doesn't take up much room and its lightweight.

Thicketz

Reaction score
I have some homemade fire starters. Dryer lint, shredded paper, and paraffin wax in cardboard egg containers and then cut into individuals. Work great and burn a while.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

That's what our local SARs group uses I have some in my hiking bag as well never fails

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-Sat phone
-radios with every one u ride with
Or just good rope can get u home some times. - FYI- 2016 spindles are week ass to like the doo ones lol

Braaaaap

Reaction score
You should always have a big pile of green pine branches by your fire, that you can throw on to cause smoke as soon as you here a helicopter. If your not prepared you could miss your only opertunity to get rescued

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We spent 3 and half days on an "unplanned" camping trip at Silent Pass in '94 and here's one of the additional things we wished we had in addition to what's been mentioned...
1) emergency rations - enough for at least two people (reality is you share in such a situation and the other guy may not have anything)
2) tin cup with foil to keep ashes out when melting snow for water (we only had a plastic shovel and smoky, ashy water tastes horrible!). This one is critical as you will easily get dehydrated
3) Can Saw (chain saw chain with handles) so you can cut logs. We burned dead branches but it burned so fast we were constantly gathering more which took a lot of energy
4) Extra dry socks and layers (riding gear typically is good when moving and working but too cold when trying to sleep thru night at -15)
5) bivvy bag (emergency sleeping bag).
6) Flares (the most sickening feeling in the world is seeing a chopper fly by you! Happened to us.)

With today's technology there is now excuse for not having the ability to communicate. Still do not rely on it as weather can set it making the search impossible.

Lastly and most important was having good level headed riding buddies and the ability to make as good a decisions as possible.

Treat getting prepared as if your life depends on it, cause it DOES!

We were so very fortunate that everything worked out for us. As we recently know it doesn't always...

Jim

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread! Here's what I carry ish...can't remember everything.

In back pack:

• small SOL kit (see pic) 4a1f2b8b110840d750333c5368591e6d8a7d8d5e.jpg
  • leatherman
  • foil blanket
  • dryer lint
  • small bivy sac (see pic) e9a35a723c36d250dc0ac9305267c66cac7e667e.jpg
  • a small handful of Wetfire (see pic) WG201WG0412BX12b.jpg
  • tampons
  • full first aid kit
  • misc parts
  • socks
  • ziploc baggies
  • compact midlayer
  • inReach
  • Garmin 650
  • BCA link radio *just got :)
  • beef jerkey
  • granola bars
  • water & gatorade
  • torch
  • flint
  • saw
  • one of those handsaw chains with the two handles , not sure the proper name
  • probe
  • shovel

On sled:

• orange hand smoke signal (see pic) images.jpg
  • pencil flares & bear bangers
  • Sam splint
  • Jet boil
  • 1 x pack of de-hydrated food
  • collapsible bowl
  • handful of wetfire
  • saw
  • water
  • gatorade
  • lunch for the day
  • beef jerkey
  • tow ropes
  • larger Bivvy sack

I think that's it. Overkill?! Maybe...but it's what I choose to carry. :) I also have a feeling, should I ever have to spend the night I'd think of something else I'd want to pack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom