Survival Gear: On sled or on person?

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I beefed up my survival gear for a "just in case" incident. Picked up, firestarters, glow sticks, some crazy butane, water proof wind proof up to 80mph lighter, survival blanket, 9hr burning candle lantern, head lamp, freeze dried food and some other stuff.

Now my question is, should I be keeping this stuff in my back pack? Or on my sled in the tunnel bag? I'd almost think keeping it on person would be best IN CASE your sled is buried, launches off a cliff, whatever. BUT this is also a lot to carry.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is alot to carry and unless a Deadmau5 rave breaks out in the backcountry im sure you can leave the glowsticks at home :). I always go with the mentality that you could be parted from your sled so pack the ch!t on your back. Besides we spend but loads of cash trying to make machines lighter then pack a ton of crap back onto it, not sure why.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is alot to carry and unless a Deadmau5 rave breaks out in the backcountry im sure you can leave the glowsticks at home :). I always go with the mentality that you could be parted from your sled so pack the ch!t on your back. Besides we spend but loads of cash trying to make machines lighter then pack a ton of crap back onto it, not sure why.

haha rave...ok I will explain WHY I got the glow sticks. I can't seem to find pencil flares and have heard of guys being able to HEAR search and rescue driving by but not being able to get their attention. Throwing a glow stick in their direction or waving it around could be good in the event you can't light a fire.

It is a lot, but I'd rather be prepared just in case. It's actually not that heavy either. I will weigh all my survival gear at home and let you know how much weight it adds.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Whether it's on your sled or on your back, the sled still weighs the same thing when you are riding it. I will be keeping the essentials in my pack this year (firestarter, flint, headlamp, survival blanket), but other things I could live without go on the sled. I hope that if I'm stuck out for the night, I have my sled, so I have some extra stuff to help make the night more comfortable, but if I do get separated from my sled, then I have what I need to survive.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally would keep the essentials in my vest,(don;t run a pack anymore). Anything that would be to big to fit would need to go in the tunnel bag.
Didn't I read somewhere that you got an avi vest this year?

I would try to have a little bit of it all in the vest without it being overstuffed.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could split some of it up to save weight in your pack. Essentials like a way to start a fire in your pack, optionals like food in your sled. You get the idea. You're not gonna starve to death overnight, but hypothermia can kill you in hours.

Edit: Gee look at all the similar answers that showed up while I was typing. Gotta learn to type faster!

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally would keep the essentials in my vest,(don;t run a pack anymore). Anything that would be to big to fit would need to go in the tunnel bag.
Didn't I read somewhere that you got an avi vest this year?

I would try to have a little bit of it all in the vest without it being overstuffed.

Yes I did get the avy vest backpack. So there is a back pack to it as well. I think I will see what I think is essential to survival for a night versus being comfortable and split it up from there.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I did get the avy vest backpack. So there is a back pack to it as well. I think I will see what I think is essential to survival for a night versus being comfortable and split it up from there.

what brand/type did you get? Pics?

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get pencil flares at mec, or bass pro shop or any camping store. We used them when all three of got stuck in retardly deep snow on cliff in the trees in the renshaw. We were way below the main trail and used them to get the attention of people up above, was pretty cool

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get pencil flares at mec, or bass pro shop or any camping store. We used them when all three of got stuck in retardly deep snow on cliff in the trees in the renshaw. We were way below the main trail and used them to get the attention of people up above, was pretty cool

I checked at Wholesale sports and they didn't have them. So I will check those other places. Thanks!

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the Snowpulse Protech Vest because it works with my neck brace.

Was thinking of getting one of these this year, as I don't like having a big pack on my back. I'm worried I will be WAY too hot with it though. I already have issues with overheating, wearing just a base layer and shell.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of getting one of these this year, as I don't like having a big pack on my back. I'm worried I will be WAY too hot with it though. I already have issues with overheating, wearing just a base layer and shell.

Then I probably wouldn't get it. I think it's going to be amazing. Because it's a vest, it makes it so the back pack is basically a part of you which is amazing. I can't believe how comfy it is. I like it because it will help me be warm (I'm always cold, lol), but I was told most guys don't like it because it makes them too hot. If you want to know 100% for sure if it will work for you or make you too hot you should see if any of the rental companies rent one and get it for the day. Then you'd know for sure.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wholesale edmonton has or had them, they are in the camping scetion with the bear bangers behind the counter.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wholesale edmonton has or had them, they are in the camping scetion with the bear bangers behind the counter.

ya they didn't have them here in calgary. I asked the guy and he said no...although this was the same guy that said the lighter I bought came with fuel...and it didn't...maybe I should call. lol

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Like Jan mentioned we carry part of the gear on our sleds and part on our packs. I emptied the windshield bags on my sled when we took it to the show in Saskatoon and it was amazing the amount of stuff I had in them. Small tarp, 50' of nylon rope, couple of survival blankets, matches, tie wraps, knifes, etc. Should probably go through them more often as I forgot I had a lot of that stuff in them.

Last edited:

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is a lot of crap in your pack

what are the circumstances where you would be separated from your sled and have to spend the night alone ? you can't possibly get THAT lost from your group, or at least you shouldn't...

If everyone has to hunker down due to a storm then you will be with your sleds, if one person loses a sled to the abyss im sure your friends will give you a ride back . .if not you need new friends :)

Top Bottom