Surge

mel.h

Reaction score
Hello Guys! Hoping someone can give me some good insight. Fired up the sled today(08 Summit 800) for the first time since shutting it down this spring (ran perfectly then) It did not want to stay running unless I gave it a little throttle. New plugs in it, fresh fuel (as I had it down to fumes after my last ride), then I went for a little run. Works fine, sounds fine under heavy throttle, but run it at a constant speed and it wants to surge in RPM, then down, then surge. It will do this constantly. Any ideas??

Thanks.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys! Hoping someone can give me some good insight. Fired up the sled today(08 Summit 800) for the first time since shutting it down this spring (ran perfectly then) It did not want to stay running unless I gave it a little throttle. New plugs in it, fresh fuel (as I had it down to fumes after my last ride), then I went for a little run. Works fine, sounds fine under heavy throttle, but run it at a constant speed and it wants to surge in RPM, then down, then surge. It will do this constantly. Any ideas??

Thanks.
How old is the belt?

mel.h

Reaction score
The belt is new. That wouldn't effect it not wanting to stay running at a idle anyway.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The belt is new. That wouldn't effect it not wanting to stay running at a idle anyway.
Fair enough.....just had worn belts give that same symptom of inconsistent speed at consistent throttle

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score

I am thinking just slighly gummed up!
Filler up with fresh premium and should clear up after a few rides.
I also put a bit of fuel injector gas line antifreeze in the fresh tank to remove any moisture.
I never leve a sled low on fuel during storage.

I always start mine through out the summer and always use a fuel storage conditioner.
Had this happen with the daughters 07 X Summit and it cleared up fine.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am thinking just slighly gummed up!
Filler up with fresh premium and should clear up after a few rides.
I also put a bit of fuel injector gas line antifreeze in the fresh tank to remove any moisture.
I never leve a sled low on fuel during storage.

I always start mine through out the summer and always use a fuel storage conditioner.
Had this happen with the daughters 07 X Summit and it cleared up fine.

Never add fuel injector or gas line antifreeze to a sled. It has methyl hydrate. Seporates the oil out of the gas ect.

Isoprople alcohol or stuff like sea foam to the tank.

Me I use sea foam for clean and moisture removal , plus it keeps gas good like a stabilizer.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

mel.h

Reaction score
That's what i am hoping, just for ****s and giggles \i am going to pull the carb's off and clean them anyway. Won't hurt and at least give me piece of mind. Thanks guys! :)

Top Bottom