Superclamps

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why won't 1 regular Superclamp work to tie down the back end of 2 sleds on a deck? The rear is only like 30 bucks cheeper than the front one. This way one clamp should work for 2 sleds? Anyone try this?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why won't 1 regular Superclamp work to tie down the back end of 2 sleds on a deck? The rear is only like 30 bucks cheeper than the front one. This way one clamp should work for 2 sleds? Anyone try this?
interesting thought....would the back ends be close enough together for one superclamp to get the rails on each sled?

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you could pull them together a bit I haven't had both sleds on my deck yet but I think it is worth a shot?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The back clamps are totally different, i thought of that also seems like alot of extra cash for the clamp being half of what the front is.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I think that is a hell of an idea! I use two rear clamps and two bolt thingies. Surely, 1 front and one bolt thingie would be quite a bit cheaper.....

But there is a problem.....when one has only 1 sled on the deck, I don't know for sure that the big front Super Clamp would work for 1 sled......

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might be allright as long as both sleds had the exact same rails and tracks. If one was even 1/2" taller than the other, your Superclamp would only be hitting one rail on each sled. I think it would be easier to use a cam strap, or a ratchet strap over the tracks.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that is a hell of an idea! I use two rear clamps and two bolt thingies. Surely, 1 front and one bolt thingie would be quite a bit cheaper.....

But there is a problem.....when one has only 1 sled on the deck, I don't know for sure that the big front Super Clamp would work for 1 sled......

Just keep a block of wood the same height as to rail. When you have one sled, throw the wood under the other side and clamp away....assuming this works in the first place.

I don't know if I'll spring for another superclamp, but it may try and rig up one of my old aluminum tie down bars that have been doing nothing since they were replaced with superclamps.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might be allright as long as both sleds had the exact same rails and tracks. If one was even 1/2" taller than the other, your Superclamp would only be hitting one rail on each sled. I think it would be easier to use a cam strap, or a ratchet strap over the tracks.
the rear superclamp only grips onto one rail as well. the only thing I can see that would be difficult is pulling the handle down as it would be inside the skid of one sled almost. I think it's worth looking into

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I never took the pull handle into account. Like you say worth a try. Also like MrM said just keep a block of wood if you only have one sled on??

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just use a tiedown strap/:confused: through the rails

That's all I've ever done. They wear through eventually, so sometimes I go over the track, but tie downs are way cheaper than clamps. I just want to find a use for my old marathon bars. They have the ready-rod almost in the center, so it won't be an issue like the superclamp's handle being inside the one rails.

234blair

Reaction score
Do the math. 4 tie downs, two on the rear of each sled, as required to be fully legal are still way cheaper than one front superclamp. One clamp across the rear is a really bad idea.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the math. 4 tie downs, two on the rear of each sled, as required to be fully legal are still way cheaper than one front superclamp. One clamp across the rear is a really bad idea.

ya but it takes 30 seconds to tie down one sled as compared to 3-5 mins! and when I do this 100 times a year the clamps pay for them self really quick! plus I go through straps all the time and I hate frozen straps! Super Clamps RULE!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

"Fully legal" was the most important part of that reply. Beat me to it! :nono:

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think bc has a regulation that you need 4 points of harness, that would only give you 3 Great idea, i also found when looking into the rear clamp that me or my dad could not use it on our sleds(146 XP and Renegade XP) as the suspension arms are in the way.

Mind you this is on a 7Ft deck if we had an 8Ft it would work perfect.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

That's the law in BC; 3 points to be tied down. Two front skis (one superclamp) and one on the rear which is the third.

Whether it is straps or clamps the magic number is three!

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also heard that the boys will be looking for sleds being secured on 4 corners. Once again, this is probably open to some interpretation. If.....and I'm only speculating, IF the law states that the load must be adequately secured, the cops can read into that whatever they want, and leave it up to you to contest it, so be nice out there. If you give someone a reason to drop the boom on you, they can and will.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I also heard that the boys will be looking for sleds being secured on 4 corners. Once again, this is probably open to some interpretation. If.....and I'm only speculating, IF the law states that the load must be adequately secured, the cops can read into that whatever they want, and leave it up to you to contest it, so be nice out there. If you give someone a reason to drop the boom on you, they can and will.

You soo true! On that note, a person needs some tie-downs just in-case! Chit happens and one has to be prepared.

Last spring, the little hook on the end of one of my rear clamps broke. Friggin' spring ride and too many rocks to go over with the truck. Didn't want the sled sliding around and messing up the other one so out with the tie-down.

If the authority, at the time, wants 4 points...."yes sir, I'll doo that right now."

Top Bottom