Supercharged Yammies

Tweaker 660

RIP Jan 16,2009
Reaction score
Anyone rode the supercharged apex/vectors? Any + or -'s? Want to build or buy one but still a little scared of the weight. I only weight 160 and don't want to work my ass off all day. How do these sleds ride? Should I try to stick to the Vector?

Last edited by a moderator:

BOOSTED

Reaction score
Tweaker

I had a stage 2 MPI supercharger on my apex, I have since removed it and sold it for half price.....the reasons as follows:
I ride at 5000-8000ft elevations the sled always pulled hard out of the hole but seemed to hit a wall up top!
Believe me I played big time and spent countless hours on the phone with Mac (owner of MPI) but when i thought I finally had her dialed in the fuel box got wet then it would barely run, I pulled off the kit and its getting a Synergy mid mount turbo right now, after riding with turbos I would never go to a supercharger again, the fuel box i was forever playing with to try and dial in!
Also another minus was the handling, the sled went from a playful fun stocker to a boosted monster, it handled like s**t! picture adding 20lbs to your sled and right in the worst possible spot, in the nose!
If your riding at one elevation, sure go supercharger, if you like the mountains...trust me run a turbo, you can dial your clutching in with your boost...under revving, lower your boost, over revving increase your boost, with the mid mount Synergy kit he runs a timing box to retard the timing as the boost pours on, sweet setup, lag is gone.
Hope this helps...

D

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will agree with boosted my turbo is dialed in and once you have it set your on your way. Its nice to be able to control your boost.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will agree with boosted my turbo is dialed in and once you have it set your on your way. Its nice to be able to control your boost.

Have you ever rode a super charged Apex? I think not, They work awesome and in most cases will out pull a turbo. I would put my SCApex up against a TRX1 any day. Super chargers work way better than they get credit for! I have spanked lot's of turbo's with mine.

BOOSTED

Reaction score
Have you ever rode a super charged Apex? I think not, They work awesome and in most cases will out pull a turbo. I would put my TApex up against a TRX any day. Super chargers work way better than they get credit for! I have spanked lot's of turbo's with mine.

probably for the first 50ft, but I have not seen a stage one (10lbs boost) MPI kit beat ANY turbo.
I rode one for 2 yrs my friend, I would beat everyone out of the hole for about 2-3 lengths then they were GONE! that was against 260hp rear mounts
front mount Alpine turbo's...another story...with my stage 2 with 16lbs boost, I would beat them out of the hole maybe a sled length and they destroyed me
There is something to be said for running 16lbs of boost with premium fuel, my satge one was 50/50 and my stage 2 was 100% race fuel.
My supercharger rocked at home, but no boost adjustment is its downfall. not to mention nose weight.
I rode a s/c Apex for 2 years.....I only seen one other in the hills, there is a reason there are 100 turbo Yammis to every supercharged one.
This is just the facts, phone up any mountain sled shop and ask for a supercharger and I'm pretty sure they will try to convince you to go Turbo.
My opinion of course...
D

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone rode the supercharged apex/vectors? Any + or -'s? Want to build or buy one but still a little scared of the weight. I only way 160 and don't want to work my ass off all day. How do these sleds ride? Should I try to stick to the Vector?

If ya want to buy one look on snow west in the swapmeet section. there is a few on there way cheaper than you could build one.:twocents:

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone rode the supercharged apex/vectors? Any + or -'s? Want to build or buy one but still a little scared of the weight. I only way 160 and don't want to work my ass off all day. How do these sleds ride? Should I try to stick to the Vector?

To answer the question that you asked Tweaky,
Apex or Vector.
-New or old
-Fuel injection or Carb.
-150 Hp or 120 to start
-Warranty None on either once you turbo or supercharge the...... warranty void.
- Insurance void once you turbo or supercharger them ( this is another topic for another time guys!!!!!) You will not win this one!:nono: read your insurance fine print!!!!!
- work your a$$ off .....................on both off them....... try doing chin- ups all day long!!!!

Supercharger pros
- cheaper than turbos...... generally
- can be changed with a switch from "mild to wild" a switch for trails....fick-it then its changes your boost for the hills.
- :D
supercharger cons
- runs off pulleys and belts
- use HP. produced from the engine
- extra weight under hood cuz being front mount and pulleys and belt
- smaller fuel tank to make room.
- create more heat under hood
- reliabilty
- usage of fuel
- sore bum
Turbo pros
- Variety....different mounts ( front ,mid ,rear)
- less weight (no pulleys etc.)
- more builders of turbos
- easier tuning
- uses a by-product ( exhaust to drive turbo)
- :D

Turbo cons
- rear mount intake can plug intake in deep poo
- price
- reliabilty
- usage of fuel
- ?
I'm sure that i have forgot many pros and cons of both. Thats just what comes to mind right now. I'm sure you guys have lots more info to give to Tweaky 660 as I do not have a turdbo or a super-pain-in-the-arse right now. I'll leave that up to you guys. I have had both of them ride me....and they are retarded.... lots of fun....... but I don't have knackers as big as watermelons. Tweaky 660 you posted that you are 160 lbs...... you might want to start eating you Wheaties,.......... and sit on the porch and watch the big dogs run a little bit longer before you try to challenge them for the almighty boosted big bone. just my 2 cents......

Last edited:

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking into to getting a side mount turbo done during the summer. If you are turboing/supercharging your sled and its going to be use for mainly climbing some sick SH*T, the extra weight will help keep the front of your sled down, letting you stay into the throttle longer. I will be running a stage 2 with about 14 lbs of boost, and see how it goes from there.

Top Bottom