Summit Weird Belt Wear Pattern

tmurphy

Reaction score
This is off a 2011 Summit X 800 163. The wear pattern is on the outside of the belt. Anybody ever see this wear pattern before? If so, what was the cause? Its not from parking brake being left on. I noticed it on my belt, i installed a new one and it wore exactly the same.

Attachments

• IMG-20131227-00053.jpg
    IMG-20131227-00053.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 197

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
may have clutch alignment problem wearing on one side like that.... belt should wear evenly across the belt when properly aligned. and also, does look like it's too tight.........

tmurphy

Reaction score
The belt sits about 1/8" above the secondary. Is that too tight?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recent oopsy on the pass side? Look for damage that would be involved in the engine being twisted.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he would be pulling cords if it was an alignment issue, when you are sitting still there is an offset because your primary moveable sheave is on the outside and all the way open and to the left. the secondary moveable sheave is the inside sheave and all the way closed. as the sheaves move together the belt straightens up into the middle of the primary taking out the dogleg that exists when at idle. that's my theory anyways.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the marks are on the outside of the belt it is rubbing on the hood or cover or belly pan. nothing to do with deflection or alignment.

• Recommends
Reactions: RGM

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the marks are on the outside of the belt it is rubbing on the hood or cover or belly pan. nothing to do with deflection or alignment.
look at the pic? the rub marks are on the underside of the belt that contacts the primary at idle....

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he would be pulling cords if it was an alignment issue, when you are sitting still there is an offset because your primary moveable sheave is on the outside and all the way open and to the left. the secondary moveable sheave is the inside sheave and all the way closed. as the sheaves move together the belt straightens up into the middle of the primary taking out the dogleg that exists when at idle. that's my theory anyways.
Tee rosy nobody wants your opinion.........

whitell

Reaction score
Belt is too tight. When mine did that it was very difficult to get into reverse. Loosed your secondary a little bit.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you running at top speed quite a-bit??( like on a hard pack surface)
In the bottom of the secondary there is a lip that can cause this .
With really low gearing that these have it could be that.

tmurphy

Reaction score
Definitely not.
Are you running at top speed quite a-bit??( like on a hard pack surface)
In the bottom of the secondary there is a lip that can cause this .
With really low gearing that these have it could be that.

tmurphy

Reaction score
Not really. I've only blown one belt and that was because i was in 3' of fresh last year in Chappel and just couldn't stop playing, Self inflicted failure. lol
are you having belt life issues? if not let her buck. like teeroy says there is a designed offset to straighten out when on the throttle

Top Bottom