Summer Storage of an 800R Ptek

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen some post on summerizing an e-tech motor but am not sure what is needed to be done to a summit 800r power tek motor. I am sick of taking it to the dealer and having them do it for a couple of hundred bucks when I can do it myself. If you guys could let me know what is needed for proper summer storage that would be appreciated and it would save me some cash.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id say wash it, grease it, drain the fuel, start it n run it out of fuel, and tape a spray paint cap in your exhaust outlet so mice cant in those little buggers

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
loosen track and support rear bumper so suspension is off the ground. Throw some fuel treatment in gas tank, pull spark plugs and fog cylinders. (I never fog because i make sure to start it and run for 10-15 minutes every three weeks or so.) that is enough to oil the internals. Thats all you really need to do.....anything over that is wasting time. Now pre-ride in the fall, change chaincase oil and check tension, grease all zerks, and replace plugs. Do a full inspection like clutches, suspension, track, etc.

IMHO there are some guys that go WAY overboard with summerization.....Long as your fuel is conditioned, engine internals stayed lubed(one way or another) and you give it a good wash and keep it covered....thats all you really need.

Maybe tape over your intake and exhaust if you have mouse problems around your place.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I turn the springs to the lowest settings, and support the sled so the suspension is fully off the ground.
I buy the fuel stabilizer, run it through, get the storage spray and remove airbox and spray liberally, pull plugs and spray some in there, and turn crank by hand to move the stuff around.

Oh, and make sure you take perishable foods out of the seat...:(

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So where exactly are the grease points that you guys are referring to?

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So where exactly are the grease points that you guys are referring to?

Just 3 on an xp. all on the pivot points by your back shock inside your skid. They should be greased one or two pumps every couple rides...

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree not much is needed.....

I run stabilzer in it and I try and pull it over every month,,,, make sure the tank is full to the tits and burp out the air,, less space for moisture to accumulate......

grease it now,,,

I think its more about getting the track off the ground then freeing up the suspension???
,,,, my truck sits on its supension its whole life lol... I like to ask a shock expert about this one???

give it a wash and call it a year,,,,,,

I end my season late may and start begining november so the sled is only down for 4 months maybe 5,,,,

come on snow

ONETON

Reaction score
Good one john i t !!! shock expert here, your truck gets driven everyday therefore your suspension and shocks get there use. hahhaha. different opinions in this, lifting the frt and rear takes the load/tension off the springs and nothing to do with the shocks them selves i would think. And dont forget to take your belt off.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First thing give it a really good cleaning and inspection if there is parts you need for next season start ordering them in the summer not at the last minute like most people.
Top up to the tits you fuel with some stablizer, and fill you oil right up. Don't drain your fuel or run the carbs empty, you can dry out your seals if you do this.
Grease the few suspension points, take off all the tension on your springs, and put the machine on blocks to unweight the suspension. Air shock you really don't have too just make sure you got air in them.

It's up to you if you are going to us some fogging oil, I think its a waste. I've done for years is pour alittle oil down into the plug holes and pull it over a few time and have not had any problems.

During storage don't start the machine, you won't get it hot enough to get the moisture out and plus h2o is a product of combustion you just end up rotting out your pipe or worse. Plus if you have fogged you need to redo it. Just crank it over once a month. Plug off the exhaust and cover up.

Before re starting again same dump alittle oil down the plug holes, and I always dump the fuel out and give that stuff to my snow blower and put fresh back agian in the sled. Check valves, clutches, good inspection again, etc. and good to go.
I might have forgot something, but most of the time i'm working on all our sleds during the summer putting the new stuff on or building something for them.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pouring oil down the cyls and turning it over is a waste, it will just end up in the pipe. the purpose of storage oil is to protect the crank , there is a reason the etec has it's own fogging program for summer storage, because fogging the engine is the best way to store it.
I just clean my clutches and the sled give it some grease, I fog the engine on my 09 put a rag in the pipe to keep critters out and throw the cover on it. taking the tension off the springs is a waste of time, so is elevating the suspension IMO. everyone has there own way of storing their sleds, talk to your dealer to get the BEST way to store the sled, or refer to your owners manual.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oil is for the rings so they are not sitting dry, and same as before start up it not like your pouring a litre down there just a few cc's a very small amount.

Detensioning springs does help, leaving them tensioned (exp. at a high level)the spring will sac out sooner seen it may times on suspension forks and shocks that i've serviced. I've even heard of people taking out the clutch springs for the same reason.

I think too where you store it helps alot too inside or out. I've alwayed stored in a controlled temp. shop and have never fogged one of our machines the last 20yrs and no problems, but if they where outside in the elements I think I would.

Talk to the mechanics at your dealers and ask them what they would do to their own machine.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put fuel stabilizer in 'er, grease it, and stuff it in the corner of the garage. Done. Never had an issue.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I give the clutches a final cleaning, stabilize the fuel, fog the motor, put it on the sled lift and throw the cover on it. Nothing too crazy here. :) :beer:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
start it n run it out of fuel,

I never liked this I just can't believe that they both run out at the same time? I always thought that one cylinder would go lean? Even if it was for a short time I don't like it. I don't even let my sled run out of fuel driving it for the same reason.

DJK

Reaction score
Do you guys stabilizer premium gas if it has no ethanol in it?
I thought only ethanol gas needed to get the treatment.
Thanks.
Dave

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grease and start once a month and bring temperature up. Sled sits in shop with oily rag in exhaust as once you have had mice move in you don't ever want to clean and remove what they haul in.:( Never had a carb gum up yet, just don't leave the sled all summer without starting or else you will need the stabilizer.

Top Bottom