suggestions for 800R monoblock - argh!!!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just hit 3200km on the '09 and ordered up some MCB's to freshen up the top end. Just pulled the top end off and the pto side cylinder is toast. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. Both sides had great compression.

I don't have the $2000 to drop on an 860 at this point of the winter.

Crank runout is within spec so don't want to drop money on a full shortblock at this point either.

Does anyone know of a place in AB/Sask/BC that does replating? Searching hasn't turned up much and I don't want to be down a month right now.

Searched for some used monoblocks and didn't turn up much.

If anyone knows of someone willing to part with a 800R monoblock thats in good shape let me know or if you know of some places that can re-sleave or re-nickel drop a reply.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just hit 3200km on the '09 and ordered up some MCB's to freshen up the top end. Just pulled the top end off and the pto side cylinder is toast. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. Both sides had great compression.

I don't have the $2000 to drop on an 860 at this point of the winter.

Crank runout is within spec so don't want to drop money on a full shortblock at this point either.

Does anyone know of a place in AB/Sask/BC that does replating? Searching hasn't turned up much and I don't want to be down a month right now.

Searched for some used monoblocks and didn't turn up much.

If anyone knows of someone willing to part with a 800R monoblock thats in good shape let me know or if you know of some places that can re-sleave or re-nickel drop a reply.
maxwell had mentioned someplace that does replating, but i can't remember where....mebbe shoot him a pm. I also have a monoblock that needs redone....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks maxwell, they were on my list to call tomorrow.

Did some reading on the monoblocks mcb gets and there is some pretty mixed reviews on the product you end up with. Guess its no worse than the mixed reviews on the pistons they sell though.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got mine exchanged for a replated one for 650 have to do some hunting to find the bill to see who did it

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a better list for calling tomorrow now.

Thought I would share the damage. :beer:

Pistons front and back, pto side and mag side. Mag side was just starting to show some scuffing as well. I know of two other sleds with the same mileage that dropped the pto side within the last 2 weeks.

There is some flaking on the pto ring. Hard to say if it was purely flaking or something injested.

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like mine did put the frist ride since rebuild last weekend was I little over a grand to fix with all the seals top and bottom

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They come with wiseco circlips. I haven't looked for any paperwork with them yet but opening down sounds right to me. :beer:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any worries of bayman popping his, I hear the throttle flipper never see's past 3/4 throttle. :d

So I have a local place to take the monoblock into for an assesment. They can bore/recoat it as well.

I did try and clean it up with some 400grit after a couple people have suggested to run it but there is still a good sized ridge on the intake side. I'll let the pro's give me a better idea on whether to run it or not.

As I suspected though a few people of commented that it was likely snow injestion on deep powder days that caused the scuffing. Man I hate that '09 tampon filter.

skidoogirl

Reaction score
Ya, that filter is garbage. I took the plastic frame off, stretched a piece of good pre filter over it and glued it around the edges to make it completely sealed up with pre filter material. Took the material off the foam and put the foam back in, with the frame w/material over it. Also glued a piece of pre filter material over the vacuum intake on the bottom of the airbox as it was opening a lot in deep powder. Then put a vent in the top of my airbox like the one JC Vents sells, and vented the area behind the tach to let cold air right down to that airbox vent. It seems to work really well, and seems to be in a spot that will draw cold outside air before it can get warm air. And a lot cheaper to build your own.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any worries of bayman popping his, I hear the throttle flipper never see's past 3/4 throttle. :d

So I have a local place to take the monoblock into for an assesment. They can bore/recoat it as well.

I did try and clean it up with some 400grit after a couple people have suggested to run it but there is still a good sized ridge on the intake side. I'll let the pro's give me a better idea on whether to run it or not.

As I suspected though a few people of commented that it was likely snow injestion on deep powder days that caused the scuffing. Man I hate that '09 tampon filter.
I'm sure it was either snow or coolant that got mine, but can't figure out where it would have come from. I have a cold air intake so that lame azz pop valve won't open and suck in snow, the only place I could see that it possibly came from was where the airbox plate mounts to the carbs....when taking it apart the pto side had come off a bit but I don't know for sure that I didn't do it during disassembly....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this winter I did add one of those SLP airbox intakes. I did have a concern that snow would melt when sitting ontop of it. :confused:

I have watched time and time again and water just seems to bead on it. I might create a cover to go over the SLP for the remainder of the winter.

Skidoogirl your fix sonds good, I had to give my buddy the rest of my spare pre-filter material as he tore the new intake on his etec. :rolleyes: Those look just as disasterous.

I believe you can swap the '08 filter onto the '09 sleds.

Top Bottom