Stolen sled check stops

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Random checkstops to check isn't a bad idea. I just don't believe in annual registration. It should be a one time thing just like a trailer. That in itself is a cash grab. As far as ownership u should have a bill of sale. Giving a person a grace period to produce in all reality isn't going to work cause in a week there will be no sled to seize if it's stolen, and then a warrant will have to be issued for the offender which will take how long to find him?

that is a good idea with a 1 time thing for reg. as the trails/ riding areas get 0 funding from the collected fees as far as i know. i dont really care as mine ends in april, so i dont reg till its time to ride 20 bucks or less a year, however for the guys that end in september i see it as being a pain in the azz fee/cost.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only issue I see is that they are stopping people headed to a trailhead in the daytime. I'm no thief, but if I were taking something, I would probably take the sled at night.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$230 fine if you can't produce your papers on the trail. How about a week to produce proof with no fine and i you can't produce proof then your snowmobile is seized and you are arrested.

how about you just produce the paperwork, thus no fines. shheeet it is so easy to do, maybe you can too.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally agree that a bait sled program would be the way to go. I also agree that having to pay taxes on a sled every time it changes owners is a fricken tax grab, period. But, I feel you should have to have that sled registered in your name and a nominal fee of around $25 would be in order to transfer ownership. I don't get why guys can't carry their papers. I don't care if it's day or night when the police are checking, a stolen sled is likely going to be ridden during the day somewhere if it hasn't been torn down for parts. Sure, it probably was stolen and transported during the night but that doesn't mean the Crooks are only going to ride it at night. It's not that big of an inconvenience to be checked. I don't get why guys have a problem with this. I understand that some Cops can be Dicks and that Alberta regs are different than BC regs but bite the bullet, abide by them and you won't have reason to b!tch. Also start making examples of the A$$HOLES when they do catch them.:beer:

Jay K

Reaction score
We had a truck and 2 sleds stolen from Valemount a couple years ago. Buddy got up, was looking out the window and saw his truck leaving the Best western minutes after they opened the gate at 6:30. Called 911, person there would not call the on-call in Valemount as they "opened" at 8:00!!!
The theives were eventually caught in Clearwater, the cops there had a trap set. The thieves took the time to unload my sled onto another stolen truck, which actually was the difference between getting caught and off scot-free. Dumb asses!!! both stolen truckes were Fords. Buddy now has hidden fuel pump switch. Crown prosecuter called later, wanted me to come to Kamloops for a WEEK basically for free. Thieves caught on video, caught red-handed.
I said I would come just to find out who these guys were, then deal with them myself later. I said to make sure the guys knew this before I made the trip. They plead guilty, good thing for them!! They were out on bail for stealing other stuff as well. Rat bast*rds!!!

Upshot: Really dis-appointed that 911 operator would not call valemount cops. They said later 911 should have called, but oh well.
Clearwater cops were great.
When we picked up our stuff, some guy came up, said he saw the cop (all 7' of him) with 2 guys on the ground with one knee on each neck! Big fun.
All ended happily with only 1 weekend shot.
So...I support checkstops. Just wish the cops would turn over the theives to us instead of another slap on the wrist.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cops only catch them and bring them before the courts..The slap on the wrist is a whole other topic.Even the cops get pissed off that these assholes they bring in are released right away with a slap on the wrist..

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing of those who received $230 dollar fines did they follow up on to see if it was a stolen sled.....this would prove weather it is all about the fines. And if it is the later they better stop this bullch!t because people are starting to get pissed off with this crap. Paying 51% of your property taxes to go towards organized crime pisses me off. Crime stoppers charges nothing it is free and gets results, why the hell should there even be crime stoppers if you know who was doing their jobs. If i hurt some feelings tough luck it has to be said.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I register all my sleds every year and ya its pricey but its still cheaper than a fine and all the crap for not having it!But I would seriously like to see some of these scum bags get caught by the sled owners in the act of stealing but the sled guy would be the one going to jail!!If a few of these pieces of crap got caught before the cops were called maybe they would think twice!Another thing maybe the parents of these s...heads should be held responsible too!!The small town I live by I see why these little scum bags turned out the way they did!!And when your buying sled parts that seem to cheap to be trusted don't be a hipocrite and brag how good of a deal you got!!Be a real man like the rest of us and pay for legit parts!!!!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust me it is not worth doing anything to these crooks (they have rights) and you don't. Just let them steal it. If you do anything you have to pay for your lawyer to defend yourself (very expensive) and theirs are free. At least you can still travel out of the country without a record on you slate if you just let them walk away.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have plates on mine, no big deal,

but do you think the thieves will take stolen sleds to a poker rally or haul them in broad day light ? covered trailers, they part em out right away, or change tunnels? naa, thieves are stupid, read this !

10 years ago a guy answered a ad I had looking for 2 sleds and a trailer, he came to my shop, there was 2 same yr polaris sleds, not very old,few yrs maybe, I looked and saw the VINs ground off the tunnels..told him I would go bank for cash and meet him back here in 1 hr,
called my friend Dave the RCMP..he showed up with 2 more RCMP ,hauled the guy away, truck he was driving was stolen too.

He was a Morons or us graduate !

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just went on a poker rally and there was no RCMP untill the dinner and bar. It was nice to see them there to keep people from driving home after a few bubblys. They chatted up with lots of riders only to see how their day was. Thanks guys great ride

when our club put on a rally we invited the RCMP to attend. Two young guns on sleds actually rode the rally on RCMP sleds. They had nothing but good things to say about how we conducted our rally and we got a great response from the people that attended our rally.

I suggest that if you are holding a rally, ask your local RCMP to attend.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when our club put on a rally we invited the RCMP to attend. Two young guns on sleds actually rode the rally on RCMP sleds. They had nothing but good things to say about how we conducted our rally and we got a great response from the people that attended our rally.

I suggest that if you are holding a rally, ask your local RCMP to attend.

The Staff Sgt here is very involved in our club, we have had RCMP riding in our rally for the pasrt several years. Good to see the bright yellow coats out there.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checking for stolen sleds.... BS!

Clamping down for tax collection on unregistered sleds is more like it, if they find a stolen one a bonus not the objective.

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree totally with this... Having your papers doesn't stop sleds from getting stolen.

If the police have your info, then you cant produce proof of ownership, then yes fines or a seizure are in order. Otherwise fines don't help anybody but the government. The thief's keep stealing and the honest people are out more money.

Bait vehicles would be a better allocation of the rcmp resources, but due to the way the judicial system is set up "entrapment" is illegal. Unless major changes are made, thefts will continue to happen, and although the road checks may deter criminals a bit, it will only stop the honest ones.

my :twocents: , hope i dont get flamed to bad.

If you donnt produce papers and ID you could be rolling away on a stolen sled and they'd be standing there watching you ride away. That would make them look pretty dumb and the cops dont like looking dumb.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any paper work i have pack on my sled cannot be read after 2 hours of riding. All those cools maps are so destroyed you can't even use them to wipe your ass with.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any paper work i have pack on my sled cannot be read after 2 hours of riding. All those cools maps are so destroyed you can't even use them to wipe your ass with.

I would think that you should be able to find somewhere (either on YOU or your sled) that would be able to handle a day of riding. Most of us find a way. I have no problems with being stopped to check for stolen sleds, as long as that is what they are actually stopping people for. I have never had anything stolen that was of much value, but with the way the world is, I am not going to rule it out in the future, and for all of our peace of mind, and our insurance premiums, I will always register, insure, and carry all paperwork with me. Not a big fan of the excuses people have, as it is your responsibility to make it work, nobody else. Rant over.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you donnt produce papers and ID you could be rolling away on a stolen sled and they'd be standing there watching you ride away. That would make them look pretty dumb and the cops dont like looking dumb.

Yes okay, but 230 dollars later and your still rolling away... Same thing RIGHT?

Serial numbers have to be run regardless sooo really? your still just paying to the government.

Top Bottom