Stolen sled check stops

Ozzy421

Reaction score
Friday, I was pulled over and had sled checked by the county cops, he checked tie-downs, and verrified ownership. Told they are cracking down on stolen sleds
Saturday, The RCMP were out on the trails at the Fox Creek poker rally checking registrations, impareds and looking for stolen sleds (told its a $230 fine if you can't produce your papers on the trail)
Sunday, I got pulled over by the RCMP, checking sled ownership by Debolt

3 times in one weekend, seems exessive to me, but if it catches one theif, they can stop and check me 3 times a day.....

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes its good they are checking now. but when they did it at the trailseekers rally all they wanted to see was the plate. and they were happy. i was thinkin wtf you have no idea whatsoever what this plate is even reged to.:confused:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i go sledding to get awy from cops and cities and other things in general. i would like it if they stayed out of it.

i guess if youve had sleds stolen its a different story.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i go sledding to get awy from cops and cities and other things in general. i would like it if they stayed out of it.

i guess if youve had sleds stolen its a different story.

I haven't had any stolen but I for one am glad they are checking. Maybe it will stop some of those lowlifes from helping themselves to other people's possessions if they figure they can't get away with it.

Radical Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats awesome that they are out checking for stolen sleds,there are a number of sleds stolen here in Prince George but very rarely are the cops setting up road checks,:specool:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say it's about fricken time.:beerchug: We all get pissed because none of the stolen sleds are ever recovered because the RCMP aren't doing a dam thing to deter thefts. Well maybe if checks become more regular GD Thieves may recognize a bit of a risk and reconsider. Right now it's just too dam easy for anyone to go anywhere with anyone's sled and go unchecked. Anyone who thinks this is a bad thing is either trying to fly under the radar with stolen, unregistered or uninsured sleds and deserve to be caught. I hope they start checking in BC too!:beer:

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Think this is great,very easy to pull out your paperwork if you are legal.You never know sometimes them finding one stolen sled can lead them to a whole bunch of stolen stuff.The harder they make it to use or move a stolen sled,the less sleds will become stolen.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a sled and an atv stolen if check stops catch one thief it is worth it. And if we are riding on crown land then we all know we need insurance and registration so anyone without deserves the fines. It's about the RCMP check more.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to see the RCMP truely looking for stolen sleds, but from what i seen it is all about collecting fines. They are Organized Gangsters, that are just in it for the money. And it shows.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to see the RCMP truely looking for stolen sleds, but from what i seen it is all about collecting fines. They are Organized Gangsters, that are just in it for the money. And it shows.

Think of what it would be like without them....

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How sticky are they on where you mount your plate?
And what exactly is the rule on that?

I usually keep mine under the seat cause I don't want to rivit it to the tunnel.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Oh come on! Do you think the police keep that money for their Christmas Party? Put yourself in their shoes for a minute. You go through the hassle of catching and arresting these A$$holes and thanks to our toothless, gutless so called Justice System, these D!cks are let off with virtually no penalty. The Police are truly frustrated. Police can't give you a fine for nothing. Don't break the rules and you won't get fine:rant:

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just went on a poker rally and there was no RCMP untill the dinner and bar. It was nice to see them there to keep people from driving home after a few bubblys. They chatted up with lots of riders only to see how their day was. Thanks guys great ride

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$230 fine if you can't produce your papers on the trail. How about a week to produce proof with no fine and i you can't produce proof then your snowmobile is seized and you are arrested.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it sucks getting checked but hey if it gets em caught I'm for it. Just replaced mine and it sucked you get one the way you like it and some pos rips it off.:d:beer:

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$230 fine if you can't produce your papers on the trail. How about a week to produce proof with no fine and i you can't produce proof then your snowmobile is seized and you are arrested.

Agree totally with this... Having your papers doesn't stop sleds from getting stolen.

If the police have your info, then you cant produce proof of ownership, then yes fines or a seizure are in order. Otherwise fines don't help anybody but the government. The thief's keep stealing and the honest people are out more money.

Bait vehicles would be a better allocation of the rcmp resources, but due to the way the judicial system is set up "entrapment" is illegal. Unless major changes are made, thefts will continue to happen, and although the road checks may deter criminals a bit, it will only stop the honest ones.

my :twocents: , hope i dont get flamed to bad.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this may be tough to understand.....KEEP your paperwork with you when you sled,just like you keep your paperwork in your vehicle, and you will get no fine.....Or don't carry it and get a fine ,then you have something to complain about....

maxpower

Reaction score
Agreed, give a timeframe in which you can produce your papers or its just looked at as a cash grab. Bait Vehicles are the way to go.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Random checkstops to check isn't a bad idea. I just don't believe in annual registration. It should be a one time thing just like a trailer. That in itself is a cash grab. As far as ownership u should have a bill of sale. Giving a person a grace period to produce in all reality isn't going to work cause in a week there will be no sled to seize if it's stolen, and then a warrant will have to be issued for the offender which will take how long to find him?

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been stopped twice in 3 weekends, both times I asked if my plate had to be attached to the sled. They said it would help, but not to worry about it as I had stopped and proved to them that I had a plate and all documents were in order. So I will continue to have my plate in my bag.

Top Bottom