Still shaking my head!!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
WOW! I didn't realise everyone that rode Valemount was a retard.I ride there a lot. So does that make me a retard? This thread is retarded.There are idiots everywhere.I'm sure we can find just as many idiots per capita on any major sled hill in BC.Just because you witnessed a lot of stupidity doesn't mean it's a bad place to ride and everyone there has a death wish.I'm sorry your visit there wasn't a more pleasurable experience.
Hey tex; ect = Electroconvulsive therapy

Maybe a contributing factor but not in itself......

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
imo i feel you will see this anywhere you ride,may depend on snow conditions where people head to ride that week,so if snow is better in vale than mcbride they may head to vale{just eg) and alot of times the guys that ride whereever are the ones that you see doing the unsafe practise.imo the guys who ride certain areas regularly are the ones who know the area the best and generally ride safer for they arent out in the area where the rest of the crowd is,they are in the hidden spots enjoying riding .as for vale i ride there the most and yes sometimes watching others makes you shake your head. but if so many people feel bad about going to vale,that is you choice. that just means more pow left for those of us who ride there the most

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
imo i feel you will see this anywhere you ride,may depend on snow conditions where people head to ride that week,so if snow is better in vale than mcbride they may head to vale{just eg) and alot of times the guys that ride whereever are the ones that you see doing the unsafe practise.imo the guys who ride certain areas regularly are the ones who know the area the best and generally ride safer for they arent out in the area where the rest of the crowd is,they are in the hidden spots enjoying riding .as for vale i ride there the most and yes sometimes watching others makes you shake your head. but if so many people feel bad about going to vale,that is you choice. that just means more pow left for those of us who ride there the most
Like wise with sicamous, u go there

I'll stay here..... Easy

sent while drinking tea's

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like wise with sicamous, u go there

I'll stay here..... Easy

i havent been down that way for a few years,done revy,golden,enderby but never sicamous,usually ride vale area,closest and like the area

snowhunter

Reaction score
It happens everywhere last year in Boulder watched a group in the parking lot shot gunning beers then headed up loaded with booze turbo sleds and basically no gear no packs etc this weekend in redsands in blue watched to guys hammer away at a slope both on it together Cutting over each other when one was stuck and less then a half mile from the slide that triggered a few days before that buried the 2 guys....its a problem everywhere unfortunately

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with these two basic assumptions.

1. The mountain is trying to kill me.

2. Every rider outside of my group is a threat to my/our safety.

They usually prove to be true.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well, i'm not paranoid of the back country and never have been. I don't think the mountains are out to get you, experience combined with knowledge goes a long way's. So does playing safe.
What i see most is the lack of both among sledders, its too easy to buy a sled and get into this sport and go into these areas carrying your ignorance of the conditions and circumstances with you.
In the back country ski world it takes a big effort to get back there and not just anyone will get there, you earn your right's through plain work and effort, with that comes experience. Not so with sledder's.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of jackass skiers out there too. Any idiot with a stack of cash can go Heli skiing. Sled skiing is big now too. Dumbasses go sled skiing every day in Revelstoke don't kid yourself.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of jackass skiers out there too. Any idiot with a stack of cash can go Heli skiing. Sled skiing is big now too. Dumbasses go sled skiing every day in Revelstoke don't kid yourself.

Very true but i should clarify, i'm not talking about down hill skier's or Heli skiing.
More Telemark, there is a big difference. I spend almost as much time on sleds as i do on ski's and i can tell you with assurance that 80% of telemark skier's have more then just a bare minimum AST1. Most have advance training in back country travel. That is not the case with heli skiing or sledding. Probably less then 30% of sledders have the very basic bare minimum AST1. Same with heli skiiers, infact heli skiers rely heavily on their guides for that reason, most are oblivious.
As a telemark skier, your reliance is your self and your own motive power. You can have a awesome day exploring or a really bad day, it all lays in your hands.

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, i'm not paranoid of the back country and never have been. I don't think the mountains are out to get you, experience combined with knowledge goes a long way's. So does playing safe.
What i see most is the lack of both among sledders, its too easy to buy a sled and get into this sport and go into these areas carrying your ignorance of the conditions and circumstances with you.
In the back country ski world it takes a big effort to get back there and not just anyone will get there, you earn your right's through plain work and effort, with that comes experience. Not so with sledder's.

Skiers are just as retarded if not more, last week seen 5 sled skiers riding in chappel creek, all of them ended up together at the top of the trail entering the meadows but all left at way different times riding by themselves to get there, all showed up at varying times in 5 different vehicles ,30 km in, not one of them was wearing helmets, 3 of them had no backpacks what so ever and the two guys who had packs were just walmart backpacks for school stuffed with beer and snacks, watched 3 of them separately get geared up as well in the parking lot as we were unloading over the course of 45 mins and all 3 never put a beacon on at all, just reefed the sled outta the truck started it strapped skis to the tunnel, took street clothes off and ski jackets and boots on and took off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very true but i should clarify, i'm not talking about down hill skier's or Heli skiing.
More Telemark, there is a big difference. I spend almost as much time on sleds as i do on ski's and i can tell you with assurance that 80% of telemark skier's have more then just a bare minimum AST1. Most have advance training in back country travel. That is not the case with heli skiing or sledding. Probably less then 30% of sledders have the very basic bare minimum AST1. Same with heli skiiers, infact heli skiers rely heavily on their guides for that reason, most are oblivious.

If you have the dedication to skin up a mountain just to ski down it, chances are you won't be drinking all day. I don't know about the training part though.
LOTS of people do that kind of stuff these days (just drive through the rodger pass some time) I know for a fact lots of people that do that are clueless.
(about Avy's and the other dangers)

People that take it serious are going to be trained. Same thing goes for sledding. Weekend warriors, gotta watch out for them though.
I give them lots of space by riding way far away from where they are at.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a telemark skier, your reliance is your self and your own motive power. You can have a awesome day exploring or a really bad day, it all lays in your hands.
There's a new breed of sled planker out there Mike

Millennial is there excuse, just like the stupid dumb twat from Canada's worst driver

They just don't care at all

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
This was my first trip to Valemount, I have rode all over, as in Blue River, Revelstoke, Houston BC, Smithers and Kakwa and in all the places I have rode I am sure that Clemina on Saturday was the biggest sh!tshow I have ever seen. Multiple people climbing on the same slope at once, a rider blowing over the top of the mountain to tumble partway down the other side. This could have been an extreme case had he have been hurt as no one could have got to him in time to help. A very lucky rider. We need to be a lot more sensible in the way we ride or there will be more statistics to read about. Just my 2 cents!!!! Still shaking my head
Now that I think back. I recall seeing some people at the cabin that day not even wearing backpacks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the dedication to skin up a mountain just to ski down it, chances are you won't be drinking all day. I don't know about the training part though.
LOTS of people do that kind of stuff these days (just drive through the rodger pass some time) I know for a fact lots of people that do that are clueless.
(about Avy's and the other dangers)

People that take it serious are going to be trained. Same thing goes for sledding. Weekend warriors, gotta watch out for them though.
I give them lots of space by riding way far away from where they are at.

X2, that's exactly correct. Weekend warriors are the worst. Having dedication to the sport as part of a life style makes a huge difference.
This rings true in skiing, skiers that get far into the back country are seldom beginners, beginners or weekend warriors as you call them simply don't have the stamina which only comes with time and devotion. The one seen along road sides are generally side trails along summer hiking trails and these people seldom venture very far before their day is done. But that doesn't mean they are prepared or smart about things. It just means they like what they are doing but have limited time, like the weekend warrior on sleds.

Last edited:

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
its stange............i roll by some hills around valemount and am very impressed at the level of self control most of us are showing compared to many years ago. But then every once in a while i turn my head to whitness certain events that just blow my mind as to the level of stupidity...... to the point i cant even get involved because now my life would be at risk.

2 weeks ago i had some issues coming out of the thick woods with a broken hand so it was pitch black by the time i reached the goat path back to the cabin. i saw in the distance a group of 5 HIGHMARKING an avalanche face in PITCH BLACK!!! but it gets better.....the first guy would get stuck then shut his sled off......next guy goes....highmarks him.....shuts sled off......eventually i was watching sleds fireing up this hill with no clue where their buddies were because their machines were off and it was pitch black. i stayed and watched from a distance until there was 4 stuck on the hill and one at the bottom. that was time for me to go. the following weekend driving by that hill in the daytime it had come down in a rather violent fashion right down to the rocks. those guys were extremely lucky.

then just yesterday my group was on a knoll across the valley talking about a large naturally triggered slide. before we even finished our chat a sled rockets up directly beside the avalanche then cuts across and goes back down and parks beside it......(see photo below) just boggled my mind.....you have a completely untracked bowl and thats where you decide to go play? and not only that but putting the rest of his group at risk below.....

some days im happy with the progress we are making. and other days i just want to quit sledding seing chit like that.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=4a3d15dcacef0e19e5c14697fbb0b1bf&oe=59019FF6

nice picture

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Call me stupid, crusty, unconcerned, or whatever but I really don't care what the masses do anymore. I have had enough of people telling me they can do what they want, when they want, and why don't I just f**k off and leave them alone.

If I see a dangerous situation and in Elkford passing over the slide paths that we do, we see lots of stupidity, I just move along and find a place where nobody else is riding. It is quite simple actually and it doesn't really bother me anymore. Saying that, if an accident were to happen and whether or not stupidity was involved, I would definitely stop and help as much as I could.

I mean 4 pages talking about others stupidity and some have contributed more than once or twice is getting a little boring. I guess it is not much different than the pages and pages where people are venting about TrueDope and Knothead; people still need to vent.

Top Bottom