Still shaking my head!!!

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was my first trip to Valemount, I have rode all over, as in Blue River, Revelstoke, Houston BC, Smithers and Kakwa and in all the places I have rode I am sure that Clemina on Saturday was the biggest sh!tshow I have ever seen. Multiple people climbing on the same slope at once, a rider blowing over the top of the mountain to tumble partway down the other side. This could have been an extreme case had he have been hurt as no one could have got to him in time to help. A very lucky rider. We need to be a lot more sensible in the way we ride or there will be more statistics to read about. Just my 2 cents!!!! Still shaking my head

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't rode Valemount in 7 years for that very reason. Lots of great riders I know "use" to go there but in time an invasion of morons happened and I found there were more and more dangerous yahoos that went there then it was worth it. They all seem to congregate and it turned into a sh-tshow, I won't ride there or take my wife there, I don't need the aggravation for something that should be relaxing and fun.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's idiots everywhere don't kid yourself! You might have hit it at a bad time. Clemina that stuff might be just more noticeable cause you can see multiple climbs from one view point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunate that happened. Doesn't make it a bad place for most riders. Someone gots lost by himself in revy, boulder last year, did you say the same thing about that area after. . Just areas in vale are smaller so you see more people there as in revy area is bigger and more spread out.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its stange............i roll by some hills around valemount and am very impressed at the level of self control most of us are showing compared to many years ago. But then every once in a while i turn my head to whitness certain events that just blow my mind as to the level of stupidity...... to the point i cant even get involved because now my life would be at risk.

2 weeks ago i had some issues coming out of the thick woods with a broken hand so it was pitch black by the time i reached the goat path back to the cabin. i saw in the distance a group of 5 HIGHMARKING an avalanche face in PITCH BLACK!!! but it gets better.....the first guy would get stuck then shut his sled off......next guy goes....highmarks him.....shuts sled off......eventually i was watching sleds fireing up this hill with no clue where their buddies were because their machines were off and it was pitch black. i stayed and watched from a distance until there was 4 stuck on the hill and one at the bottom. that was time for me to go. the following weekend driving by that hill in the daytime it had come down in a rather violent fashion right down to the rocks. those guys were extremely lucky.

then just yesterday my group was on a knoll across the valley talking about a large naturally triggered slide. before we even finished our chat a sled rockets up directly beside the avalanche then cuts across and goes back down and parks beside it......(see photo below) just boggled my mind.....you have a completely untracked bowl and thats where you decide to go play? and not only that but putting the rest of his group at risk below.....

some days im happy with the progress we are making. and other days i just want to quit sledding seing chit like that.

16462995_10155051400558112_7085472875586420327_o.jpg

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Idiots are everywhere and not area specific, ridden all over as well and dont kid yourself you see dumb moves everywhere, last time i went to boulder in revy on a weekend and we watched these morons hillclimbing at the same time pounding beers and fireball at the bottom music cranked on some douchebags hopped up 4 stroke nytro. Next day that whole hill came down and the run out went right through where they were sitting

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't rode Valemount in 7 years for that very reason. Lots of great riders I know "use" to go there but in time an invasion of morons happened and I found there were more and more dangerous yahoos that went there then it was worth it. They all seem to congregate and it turned into a sh-tshow, I won't ride there or take my wife there, I don't need the aggravation for something that should be relaxing and fun.

seriously? That's right up there on the worst post of the year award scale

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I realize how there is stupid everywhere and yes we have our share of it and more in Kakwa! you are probably right it shows more there being a small area and from one viewpoint you have multiple slopes to look at. Even at that it seemed every slope they were climbing there was more than one sled climbing at a time. And for the guy to just blow over the top really shows the stupidity of some people! Still just makes me shake my head!!!

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to quartz mid November after the first few dumps of fresh this season. Avy conditions were considerable to high. Guys were highmarking on an untouched slope 2-3 at a time with another 5 waiting right at the bottom......

We sat in another area for a bit waiting to go into rescue mode.

They eventually left but those idiots were playing a dangerous game. Potentially putting rescuers at risk.

Not sure if it ever came down.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't u all know.
They are 10 feet tall and bullet proof.....
Ain't gonna happen to me..
This attitude isn't even age specific. The red sands Avy was triggered by a father and son on the same slope. I know my old man would have kicked my A$$ if he saw me pulling that crap. Too many guys out there with no balls,in these groups, to speak up IMO

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seriously? That's right up there on the worst post of the year award scale
He has a point Sean

There's lots of places I used to go, but seeing as so do the limited ( new word for retards) riders, I prefer to ride where no one else is, look at the last few avy deaths e.c.t this year, caused by others ( 2-3 groups in the same area and no patience to wait there turn)

sent while drinking tea's

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
WOW! I didn't realise everyone that rode Valemount was a retard.I ride there a lot. So does that make me a retard? This thread is retarded.There are idiots everywhere.I'm sure we can find just as many idiots per capita on any major sled hill in BC.Just because you witnessed a lot of stupidity doesn't mean it's a bad place to ride and everyone there has a death wish.I'm sorry your visit there wasn't a more pleasurable experience.
Hey tex; ect = Electroconvulsive therapy

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know about others but personally I don't appreciate those who have not enough patience to allow somebody to negotiate a side hill all the way till they are in the safe zone. Before they "other rider" chooses to go and cut around the rider negotiating the side hill on the upper side, causing a very uncomfortable situation for the rider. That was my wife.
I completely agree there are idiots every where but Valemount terrain seems too concentrated to handle impatient riders. This could had been a situation of no doing of ours.
Now where we ride is related to the amount of others riding there, Valemount is not the only place we avoid.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW! I didn't realise everyone that rode Valemount was a retard.I ride there a lot. So does that make me a retard? This thread is retarded.There are idiots everywhere.I'm sure we can find just as many idiots per capita on any major sled hill in BC.Just because you witnessed a lot of stupidity doesn't mean it's a bad place to ride and everyone there has a death wish.I'm sorry your visit there wasn't a more pleasurable experience.
Unfortunately Mike, but the last 2 years at least, in YOUR RIDING ZONE ( from blue River to McBride) there has been multiple instances where the limited have not waited and caused unfortunate carnage

Has there been unfortunate carnage in revy, sicamous, golden for examples

Nope.... Mabe where you ride and the limited riders around you braaaaaping it up does make or break a difference

sent while drinking tea's

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mike I never called anyone a retard, and yes we have people in our area that pull the same crap! But as was stated it is a very concentrated area and we all have heard it before " I've never seen that hill slide before". I would ride the area again I had a good time but just shedding light on what could become a very dangerous situation.

Top Bottom