Stiff steering

roberto_235

Reaction score
Any body have trouble with the steering becoming extremely stiff?
Its a real workout to turn mine. I greased the two front nipples. Are there any more grease points?

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try getting your front tunnel shock rebuilt or on a stiffer setting. Also make
Sure the limiter strap isn't on the tightest setting, it might have to much weight on the front end.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try getting your front tunnel shock rebuilt or on a stiffer setting. Also make
Sure the limiter strap isn't on the tightest setting, it might have to much weight on the front end.

Bingo! Its the setup and heavy on the front end, but another thing to look at is lift the front end and turn the bars. If its stiff with the skis in the air, then something is binding or bent somewhere.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a bent steering post that caused some heavy steering on one of my sleds.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jack up your bulkhead so the skis are hanging free in mid air. You should be able turn the skis lock to lock with one finger, maybe two. Any more pressure and you might have other problems. Check the steering post behind the heat shield by the pipe, you will have to take the heat shield off.

The m series have a tendency to crack the bottom on the bulkhead or break near the mid point of the shaft, inspect it carefully and make sure the bottom doesnt have a crack or is loose. You might have to take the nut off under the tunnel and re-grease the ball joint that is on the bottom of the shaft. You could also be binding on the steering post bracket that is back there if its worn out. Check wiring while you are in there as there are a few wires that like to rub on stuff.

Check your heim joints at all your pivots (the ball and socket joints) and make sure there is no other binding in the system.

If it just started do it suddenly, check your ski alignment, it could be out from normal riding or maybe you hit something and now something is bent (e.g. steering arm rubbing on your a-arm).

Last edited:
Top Bottom