Starting a new trade being older

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone here started a new career-trade after being out of school for over 20 years? Certainly not getting any younger but it's time for a change!
A little concerned about the lack of memory after killing too many brain cells over the years:( That and the thought of going to school with a bunch of young kids is certainly a turn off. Thoughts?

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
We had a fellow start his Pipe fitters at age 55.
Completed it hands down no problem.

Lots of welders go back and get their pipefittiing for dual ticket certification as some companies pay extra for that.
Or they can jump back and forth depending on what is available for work.

Trades school is a short period of time and really not that hard.

Good luck with the new career.

I mysely threw in the towel and will remain retired. LOL!

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started my second trade at 30, done at 34. It wasn't to bad going back to school. I am going to be 46 soon and it was so worth going back to school to advance myself.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread. I've been wondering the same thing. Was offered an electrical apprenticeship a couple years ago when I was building my house. Was 37 at the time and thought man I don't want to start from square one at my age. Starting to think I should have.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
School/education is much easier when you are doing it because you want too better yourself as opposed to being told you have too.

I hated school as a young'n but have spent the past 10 years part time at the UofA taking courses and collecting Certificates. One night a week 6-9pm and a few hours here and there working on papers or projects, 3 semesters a year, 3 years per certificate. I've received my OH&S, Human Resource Management and Management Development Certificates so far and I've obtained my Professional Designations in both Safety & HR. All while working full time, sledding in the mountains, summers on my boat and partying like a Rockstar - OK an old washed-up Rockstar. Next on my list is my MBA which I will likely do through the University of Fredericton 95% online with an in person practicum at the end.

Education is so accessible now it's crazy - I don't think your time out of school or age will hinder you at all, everything is easier when you do it on your own terms.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. I went to school with a lot of older guys and always lent a hand to those who wanted help.

It's not rocket doctorin', its trade school... you'll do fine.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would really like to take welding, (yes I know those guy get their tickets in cereal boxes) lol, but they don't offer much for spring courses. Just figured it would be handy to have. Also this spring I'm taking a sawer course on milling wood. Any opportunity for a couple extra bucks.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would really like to take welding, (yes I know those guy get their tickets in cereal boxes) lol, but they don't offer much for spring courses. Just figured it would be handy to have. Also this spring I'm taking a sawer course on milling wood. Any opportunity for a couple extra bucks.

Im not a certifiable welder...at all but I can stick stuff together.
My Grandfather always said “ if you can weld! You can build anything!”
I believe this to be true, welding is a art and is a great trade to have! If I was going to flip I’d go back and be a welders helper!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There’s welders that just run flux core beads and that’s it. Then there’s fabricators that can do it all good. The trade is starting to separate them. Now when you’re done your first year you get your wire feed technician ticket, then you can choose to go on if you want. Same there’s a fitters ticket to.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say do it, my coworker is going for a second ticket in his mid forties and doing all four periods. Older and mature individuals go through the programs more disciplined. I remember guys straight out of high school just bombing high school level math in trade school, while a guy in his fifties that was nervous because “he forgot everything years ago” lead the class.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not a certifiable welder...at all but I can stick stuff together.
My Grandfather always said “ if you can weld! You can build anything!”
I believe this to be true, welding is a art and is a great trade to have! If I was going to flip I’d go back and be a welders helper!

There’s welders that just run flux core beads and that’s it. Then there’s fabricators that can do it all good. The trade is starting to separate them. Now when you’re done your first year you get your wire feed technician ticket, then you can choose to go on if you want. Same there’s a fitters ticket to.

I mess around at the farm sticking stuff together and yes it seems to hold, buckets, my old hayrack. When we had our place mine I built a grizzly from 1/4x4" angle iron. Apparently you can challenge the wcb???? But my welds aren't that clean.

I'm 37 this year and currently have 1 journeyman ticket and a class 1. Word is they are wanting off hwy log hauling to be a certification. Maybe I will end up with 2 by accident

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mess around at the farm sticking stuff together and yes it seems to hold, buckets, my old hayrack. When we had our place mine I built a grizzly from 1/4x4" angle iron. Apparently you can challenge the wcb???? But my welds aren't that clean.

I'm 37 this year and currently have 1 journeyman ticket and a class 1. Word is they are wanting off hwy log hauling to be a certification. Maybe I will end up with 2 by accident

You have to be a registered apprentice to do your cwb. My last apprentice that I was happy to see him get his ticket because he was really good was a 45year old guy. He did real good throughout school.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2008 when oilfield was slow i started working for a friend a day or so a week that had a plumbing,heating and refrigeration company and was wanting to get a trade but was afraid of the pay cut and the thought of school. I was laid off and signed up for NAIT as soon as i could , i was 37 and the second oldest in the class. 4 years later i was a Journeyman Red Seal Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic. It was definitely hard for me with all the math and studying but i am so glad i did it. I make more money now and enjoy the challenge of having a problem and having to solve it. I could have a full time job doing side jobs if i wanted to but would rather have time off. I can say it probably wont be easy getting back into paying attention and studying while in school but if was easy everyone could do it and there would be no demand for tradesmen.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having a couple trades has been good to me, provided a good life. The thing I always like is that when working with other trades you pick up a lot of other useful info from other trades. It’s allowed me to learn a lot of framing, electrical, finishing carpentry etc. I’ve now built 2 of my own homes and done almost all of the work myself. I think if I was to take another trade it would probably be mechanics, something I enjoy doing during evenings, log building would be right up there as well.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
worked in the printing trade for 42 years came to a end when the ndp bit5hes came into power and shutdown RED DEER got a job as a trailer mechanic ok job for 3.5 years now work as a small engine mechanic taking on line courses from stihl and husky have always liked working on small engines but couldn't afford to stop printing on my way to retirement in about 5 years your never to old to learn something new tried the unemployment trade for 6 months drove me nuts

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on that one. I loved my trade for many years but certainly love retirement way more
We had a fellow start his Pipe fitters at age 55.
Completed it hands down no problem.

Lots of welders go back and get their pipefittiing for dual ticket certification as some companies pay extra for that.
Or they can jump back and forth depending on what is available for work.

Trades school is a short period of time and really not that hard.

Good luck with the new career.

I mysely threw in the towel and will remain retired. LOL!

Top Bottom