2022 Ram 3500 Cummins no start?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else on here has run into this. My boss has a 2022 Ram 3500 HO cummins limited, currently 7900kms on it and he went to start it the other day and there was some loud pops (think electrical popping/snapping), a bunch of electrical faults on the dash and not even a hint of trying to turn over. He let it sit for 10 mins, and it fired right up like nothing happened. Then yesterday he had it running with the remote start, it shut off after 15 mins, then he went to go start it again and same thing. This time though the you can hear the starter engage briefly but then it cuts out and multiple electrical faults pop up again. Its booked to go into the dealer but maybe someone here has run into a similar issue? Pretty disappointed with a 100K truck that now is a lawn ornament. I'm thinking maybe theres a battery thats got a bad cell? Its hard to say given the amount of electronics these new trucks are wrapped up in...

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like my 2015 car. Its battery is in the truck so there is some extra cabling, and the booster terminals under the hood are actually not electrically direct to the battery - I think they go through a switch/relay/contactor/mosfet.

I would get weird behavior like car would go totally dead but battery would have good voltage. Also loud SNAPs when trying to start. It would go to a low voltage on the booster terminals but 13V at the battery terminals.

Turned out after much misery and f'ing around, that my brand new replacement battery had slightly smaller terminals than a factory battery, so I wasn't getting a good connection there. And there is some kind of protection in the trunk where if it senses low voltage from the battery it disconnects it from the rest of the car, so things like a charger connected at the booster terminals under the hood wouldn't even charge it, and would show a 'fully charged' battery indication.

I had to make shims that wrap around the battery terminals so the clamps would actually clamp properly on the undersized terminals. No problems since.

Obviously your buddy didn't change to an aftermarket battery. But when these modern vehicles think the battery voltage is too low they tend to just go dead and not even try running things like lights and the starter.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did he check the oil... lol hoping for an easy fix never a fun feeling when your new truck goes down.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There have been many issues caused by loose fuses. Have him open the fuse box and push all the fuses in tight.

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy had something similar happen to his Volvo, driving along- everything died. Waited a few minutes and it started & drove fine. It happened 3 times, once driving, 2 as he parked it & didn’t hear the chirp when locking. Replaced battery, no change. Turned out to be fusible link. I didn’t think they would do that. Either fail or work. The dealership wiggled the wires and it shut off immediately.

Something to consider…..

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As dumb as it sounds maybe those battery connections are loose, or the connection to the starter maybe ?
Stock oem batteries lasted 3 years
Trying to think of when my 2012 had starting issues.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully its something simple like loose fuses or a connection. The dealer came by yesterday afternoon with a tow truck and had it hauled to them. We'll see what they find out...

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First dealer it went to claimed they found the battery connections loose. Ok... They tightened it up and it was good for about 10 days. Then the same thing happened, no start, multiple codes. Had it towed to dealer #2 as dealer #1 couldn't get to it anytime soon. Same thing, claimed they found the battery connections loose... Try again guys... They now claim they've found a faulty wiring harness and are currently waiting on parts. We shall see if that cures it permanently or not.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First dealer it went to claimed they found the battery connections loose. Ok... They tightened it up and it was good for about 10 days. Then the same thing happened, no start, multiple codes. Had it towed to dealer #2 as dealer #1 couldn't get to it anytime soon. Same thing, claimed they found the battery connections loose... Try again guys... They now claim they've found a faulty wiring harness and are currently waiting on parts. We shall see if that cures it permanently or not.
Sounds like your truck has the same availbility as a Polaris sled.

Top Bottom