2017 ram 3500 Cummins

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 2012 3500 and it’s been good. Deleted and a deep transmission pan is all I have done. Do your maintenance and don’t drive it like a moron and you’ll be fine.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just paid just shy of $400 for 8L of amsoil tranny fluid and 7L of diff fluid and paid the dealer 3 hrs to change it all - took the truck for a 120km round trip - I actually notice a serious difference in the shifting and I gained about 1 L /100km on the mileage - 2014 deleted f350 6.7L I know it's not a dodge - but with the price of fuel - I recommend the fluid change

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats definitely one thing I did notice. My 2012 6.7l cummins with Automatic tranny is way worse on fuel than my 08 Mega cab with standard tranny!

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08’ Mega cab, 6.7CTD, 6 speed standard. Deleted with a mini max tuner set on 3 bars from lowest setting.
currently sitting at a shade over 500,000 kms.
engine is still completely as it left the factory minus water pump and idlers and belt. It has never been opened up and still the original vgt turbo. I heard the key to the turbo is to use the exhaust brake 100% of the time. I turn it on as soon as its fired up every time. Maybe it helps? I dunno. Had original front brakes up to 380K, rarely need to use brakes with Exh brake and a manual tranny.
as usual the rest of the truck will conk out before the drive train. Mines got the iron oxide acutosis pretty bad and other annoying things like dash lights quit working and such. All in all its been a damn good rig.
With my EFI Live tuning the exhaust brake is on when engine is started. You have to manually shut it off if the roads are icy. Don't want that engine brake kicking in when its glare ice! The early 6.7L engines have a smaller turbo. Those actuators aren't as problematic as the 2013-2018. Yes, key to longevity is to frequently use the exhaust brake.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perfect thanks appreciate that, stock bulbs are pretty dull for sure, I’m sure a light bar inside of that cut out in the front bumper we’ll help things to lol!!!!
Yeah I have a 20" Rigid in the front bumper. But as Zal stated, rarely gets used with the LED bulbs.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 2012 3500 and it’s been good. Deleted and a deep transmission pan is all I have done. Do your maintenance and don’t drive it like a moron and you’ll be fine.
What kind of transmission pan did you go with?

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably the worst thing about these trucks is the VGT turbo, if a truck turns 200,000km on a stock turbo you should buy a lottery ticket because you are very lucky. The actuators are nothing but problems and destroy the turbo and it's around $4k to replace with rebuilt. Other then that they are really good trucks.

My actuator died at 170k, but it was only 1500$ for a new one installed. Buy it from holset instead of dodge, it’s a 900$ part instead of 3600$

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My actuator died at 170k, but it was only 1500$ for a new one installed. Buy it from holset instead of dodge, it’s a 900$ part instead of 3600$

Did the actuator last? Heard of many cases where it's a temporary fix and the turbo is already toast and new actuator doesn't last long.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the actuator last? Heard of many cases where it's a temporary fix and the turbo is already toast and new actuator doesn't last long.

You need to check and clean the mechanism while it’s split. If it moves freely from stop to stop on the gauge then it’s not the turbo binding, it’s just the garbage actuators.

Top Bottom