SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
August 17, 2022 by Adam Malik

Skilled trades important but we don’t want to work in it: Canadians​

Technician-mechanic-Depositphotos_421551920_L-1024x683.jpg

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
A new study finds Canadians recognize the value of the skilled trades industry. However, they wouldn’t want to pursue a career in it.

The 3M State of Science Index found overwhelming support for the industry — 96 per cent of Canadians agreed that the country’s workforce needs more skilled trades workers. But 76 per cent of them said they would never pursue a skilled trade for themselves.

This gap points to the importance of Canadian organizations championing skilled trades and the need to do more to showcase fulfilling career pathways available to young Canadians, 3M said.

“Getting Canada’s youth excited about skilled trades will be critical to ensuring a robust and healthy economy as we emerge from the impact of the global pandemic,” said Terry Bowman, manufacturing and supply chain leader at 3M Canada. “It is imperative Canadian organizations provide equitable access to STEM education to passionate young Canadians interested in pursuing a skilled trade.”

3M Canada has more than 900 skilled workers, he noted.

The shortage facing the trades is daunting as misconceptions and a lack of awareness about the industry makes it difficult to fill the talent gap, said Ian Howcroft, CEO of Skills Ontario.

“For over 30 years, Skills Ontario has developed a growing portfolio of programs and initiatives to help students of all ages and backgrounds understand that they can find fulfilling career paths in the skilled trades and technologies,” he said in the announcement. “We also provide them, their parents, and their educators information on informative, skill-building programs and work-experience opportunities that can help them pursue these positions. The shortage is a challenge, but it is one we are addressing every day.”

Key findings from the index include:

• 96% of Canadians agree the workforce needs more skilled trade workers.
  • 92% believe there is a lot of opportunity in skilled trades.
  • 91% trust vocational/trade schools to give them the education needed to have a successful career.
  • 81% believe they would earn as much money in a skilled trade as they would in a career that requires a degree from a traditional 4-year university/college.
  • Though Canadians think highly of skilled trades and the people who work in them, three-quarters (76%) would never pursue one themselves.
  • 47% of Canadians who did not pursue a career in a skilled trade said that the top reason was that they had other passions they wanted to pursue for a career.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Working hard, earning a living and getting your hands dirty has been demonized by mainstream culture and media. Too many people getting degrees in venetian glass blowing that look down upon the lowly tradesman because the TV and their profs told them so. But when their toilet plugs, car breaks down or furnace sh!ts its pants, those lowly tradies are all of a sudden heroes. But what do you mean you're charging me $100-200/hr for your labour you stupid peasant. Don't you guys work for beer??

The vast disconnect people have on how our infrastructure is kept running is downright scary IMO.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son decided right out of high school he wanted to be a heavy duty tech. He's never been unemployed and he'll earn well over $200,000 this year. My daughter got a teaching degree, then went to work at Boston Pizza 'cuz she couldn't find a teaching job. She's making decent money now though, putting her teaching degree to good use as an equipment operator with my former employer. Ya, I remind her once in a while. :p:p:p

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
drillers make 50 an hour now

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son decided right out of high school he wanted to be a heavy duty tech. He's never been unemployed and he'll earn well over $200,000 this year. My daughter got a teaching degree, then went to work at Boston Pizza 'cuz she couldn't find a teaching job. She's making decent money now though, putting her teaching degree to good use as an equipment operator with my former employer. Ya, I remind her once in a while. :p:p:p
She should have majored in Drama could have been Prime Minister

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why get a trade and earn $45/hr as a journeyman, when you can spend 4 years getting an arts degree and make $15/hr flipping burgers.
Any kid not taking a trade or getting a degree in an in demand field is wasting a lot of time and money. If you want to be extra deadly do a certificate or diploma in management and then get a trade and do your own thing. I know lots of skilled tradies with their own businesses but most are pretty bad at the business side.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any kid not taking a trade or getting a degree in an in demand field is wasting a lot of time and money. If you want to be extra deadly do a certificate or diploma in management and then get a trade and do your own thing. I know lots of skilled tradies with their own businesses but most are pretty bad at the business side.

This is 100% true. As a mechanic I piss excellence, as a business owner heck I’m not very good at that yet. I have been managing on my own but just. Im pretty close to landing a shutdown manpower supplier. If I land that contract I’ll need to hire someone who knows that side of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup. Just started my small business. Work part I can and think I do it in my sleep. Business part is scaring the crap out of me. Got a good book keeper and she keeps telling me it’s not that bad lol.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Yup. Just started my small business. Work part I can and think I do it in my sleep. Business part is scaring the crap out of me. Got a good book keeper and she keeps telling me it’s not that bad lol.
The biggest thing I found was having a good book keeper and keeping your stuff organized year round instead of just once a year. Your accountant will thank you.

Top Bottom