starter problem......

grasshpper326

Reaction score
not sure if my starter is bad or something else....when i turn the key everything powers up the winch and everything has power but the starter does nothing it doesnt click or turn over or anything. so i took the starter off and was wondering if theres a way to test it or not....05 sportsman 800

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you check voltage at the starter ignition wire from the start button,.. how about the kill witch?

Is it EFI or carb?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the manual and see it's EFI,..

Another thought, do you have a park bypass with the brake lever, will it start with the brake lever on?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hook up a 12 volt battery to it. possitive to the post and negative touching the starter anywhere. Most likely its you starter solenoid. with the starter in the quad take a screw driver and jump the terminals on the solenoid while trying to start it.

grasshpper326

Reaction score
i hooked the starter up to my battery charger and it srtarted to spin when powers hooked to it...but it doesnt sound very good....when i turned it by hand you can hear grinding in the in the starter...so im assuming that when it has pressure on it when put together with the bendix that its not working properly... i checked the kill switch before taking apart and that was where it shouldve been....im hoping that the bendix isnt bad as well if so im looking at 500+ dollars for the starter as well as the bendix :rant: thanks to all for comments

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doubt that your brushes are done already... Um check ur starter casing and gear to see if cracked and test on bench... The the higher possibility for the noise will be the idle gear off of ur starter doesnt want to disingage!!!

stealth800

Reaction score
the grinding noise that you hear when you tested it sounds like the needle bearing at the gear end of the stater is bad. That alone would not cause the problem that you were describing I would check the solenoid, you could use a voltage tester either the light type or digital and turn the key to start and touch the tester to the little wire that feeds the solenoid if it shows 12v or the light lights up then its the solenoid if it doesnt than you will have to work backwards from the solenoid to the key or kill switch. If you want to repair the starter (grinding noise) there is a rebuild kit for them if polaris dealer does not have one listed I found that artic cat has the same starter for one of there older machines and the parts come from suziki as well. It just takes a little leg work to get them sometimes. Sorry I dont have the Part numbers but if you look on ebay you should be able to find the rebuild kit for the starter and it should show a cross ref to the other quads that have the same starter parts (thats how I found it).

Top Bottom