Hernia belts

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone riden with a hernia belt? Or is that a bad idea?

Went into a coughing fit at work Tonight and something in my groin/abdominal area ruptured and I buckled over.
I can feel the lump. And need to put pressure on it when I cough. Other wise it hurts. (I've been coughing pretty bad since November, comes and goes).

Naturally work sent me on my way. I stopped in at Redwaters emergency. Seen my Doctor there. (Which was good I was going to book an appointment Friday morning to get in and see him over the mouth thrush and cough I'm battling).

He figures it is a hernia but I need an ultrasound to make sure. (Book that when I get up later). I told him I had a sled trip booked to Sicamous. Leaving on the 30th. He said if it is a hernia it'll be up to 18 weeks to get in for surgery. And suggested I get a hernia belt.
He told me not to do anything strenuous. Which I'm thinking involves sledding.

But wondering if others wore one to ride? And how it went?
I'm not going on the Sicamous trip. But I have my AST1 with Hangfire in Valemount on the 18 of Feb. Wondering if the belt will be good enough or just call it a season. Heal up and ride next year?

Also for those that did wear a belt. Which was preferred? The adjustable or the dual side?

My doc said they both do the same.

Screenshot_20230120_015351_Chrome.jpg

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone riden with a hernia belt? Or is that a bad idea?

Went into a coughing fit at work Tonight and something in my groin/abdominal area ruptured and I buckled over.
I can feel the lump. And need to put pressure on it when I cough. Other wise it hurts. (I've been coughing pretty bad since November, comes and goes).

Naturally work sent me on my way. I stopped in at Redwaters emergency. Seen my Doctor there. (Which was good I was going to book an appointment Friday morning to get in and see him over the mouth thrush and cough I'm battling).

He figures it is a hernia but I need an ultrasound to make sure. (Book that when I get up later). I told him I had a sled trip booked to Sicamous. Leaving on the 30th. He said if it is a hernia it'll be up to 18 weeks to get in for surgery. And suggested I get a hernia belt.
He told me not to do anything strenuous. Which I'm thinking involves sledding.

But wondering if others wore one to ride? And how it went?
I'm not going on the Sicamous trip. But I have my AST1 with Hangfire in Valemount on the 18 of Feb. Wondering if the belt will be good enough or just call it a season. Heal up and ride next year?

Also for those that did wear a belt. Which was preferred? The adjustable or the dual side?

My doc said they both do the same.

View attachment 265153
If it were me, I would hang it up for the season. You could and likely would do more damage and then it woult take longer to recover from the surgery. I don't imagine that riding with a heernia would be that much fun anyway.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your health is way more important than a ast1 that you can rebook it for next year. And with your cough on top of that. Just my opinion

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Yup,
As others said.
Look after yourself first bud.
I know you love to ride, but no need to jeopardize your health.
Would be real shitty if it got way worse on the mountain.
Take care.

Reactions: RXN

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you reduce it? I know when my son was a month old he had a ingenial one and we constantly had to push his guts back inside him for a month haha.

Other than that, I'd have to agree woth the above posts, you don't want more damage

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If rode with a hernia in 2007 season. When it came time to fix at the end of the season they had to slice me open and could not do a Laparoscopy. Which makes the recovery way longer.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you reduce it? I know when my son was a month old he had a ingenial one and we constantly had to push his guts back inside him for a month haha.

Other than that, I'd have to agree woth the above posts, you don't want more damage
That's what this one is. I think it's small one. As last night in a coughing fit I pushed it back in. No lump this morning. But reading on line sounds like that is quite common to wake up and find the lump gone.

But yeah talking with my riding buddies. I'm calling it a season.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
That's what this one is. I think it's small one. As last night in a coughing fit I pushed it back in. No lump this morning. But reading on line sounds like that is quite common to wake up and find the lump gone.

But yeah talking with my riding buddies. I'm calling it a season.
I know its tough to not do something you like.
But that ole safety guy comes out in me,,"Risk over reward."
I think you are making a hard, but correct decision.
Always next year.

• Thanks

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’d get it fixed and call it a year. My dad worked, and rode sleds, quads and dirt bikes with one for years before getting it fixed. Got real bad by the time he did something about it. Had to do two surgeries to fix it in the end.

• Wow

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple years back I had the same thing, just started one day and doc said I'm lucky it wasn't worse.... I took two weeks off work, relaxed and stayed on the couch... went away. Never had an issue after... gotta relax and heal man, it sucks....

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing is the hardest thing to do isn't it.
Lump was gone this morning. But came back as I coughed and moved around.
Heading to the city soon to pick up one of those belts. Try it out.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you are up for it work on some core exercises.

I know they arent the funnest thing to do, but your abs are what hold your guts in.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If rode with a hernia in 2007 season. When it came time to fix at the end of the season they had to slice me open and could not do a Laparoscopy. Which makes the recovery way longer.
Now I know why you switched to Polaris. You rode that Rev in 2007. That hernia didn't slow you down much as I remember it.

Top Bottom