Starter Drive bolt broke< HELP

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking for help ,The Bolt for the mount on the starter drive gear on my 800 dragon broke off in the Block , Looks like when they installed it they may have broke it, Cause it looks like only the one at water pump was holding it, Its broke off flush with the block, Anyone got any ideas on how to get in there and remove it so it can be replaced, Its the one that is to the right of the water pump looking at the front of the motor, Im wondering if there is a angle drill or cable style to drill it out< any help would be grateful. I thought of takeing a smaller bolt and hooking it to the welder and see if i can weld it on to back it out , but im worryed about wrecking the block, Thanks Pete

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can try to use a small chisel and a small ball peen hammer, make sure that the chisel has a good bite and tap away, if that fails, drill a 1/8" pilot hole and then a 1/4" drill bit and 1/4" easy out, you can also try use a left hand drill bit, good luck.:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drill and tap it and use an easy out. Heat the block around the bolt to help it expand, try some penetrating lube as well. If they cross threaded it when they installed it then that may be the reason it broke off.

As a last resort, you could put a nut against it and weld on the inside of the nut and then use a wrench to take it out, but welding on an assembled motor is not something I recommend. Depending on where you ground the welder on the motor, you can arc the motor bearings, meaning your motor is now a 100 lb paperweight.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking for help ,The Bolt for the mount on the starter drive gear on my 800 dragon broke off in the Block , Looks like when they installed it they may have broke it, Cause it looks like only the one at water pump was holding it, Its broke off flush with the block, Anyone got any ideas on how to get in there and remove it so it can be replaced, Its the one that is to the right of the water pump looking at the front of the motor, Im wondering if there is a angle drill or cable style to drill it out< any help would be grateful. I thought of takeing a smaller bolt and hooking it to the welder and see if i can weld it on to back it out , but im worryed about wrecking the block, Thanks Pete

Thats a painful spot the have a broken bolt. From the looks of your avatar pic the sled is pretty new. If you have warranty I'd send it right back. Polaris has great warranties and they honer them not like others (I'll keep my mouth shut on this one). This is definately premature wear and tear and should be covered under warranty. It would be different if it was a motor mount or some part that can break from abuse, but this part should not be considered one of these. JMO

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys thanks Im going to call CW and talk with them , my prob that gets me is i got the recall done in sept , we just got the snow , my frist time Last sat i take it for a run in the yard and this is broke , So delema is send it back like the motor wait 3-4 weeks to get it back if im lucky , Pull the bolt my self hoping i dont wreck the block < or see if they will fix it after i come back from the mountains after the hoildays , Or If some one smarter than me with a ton more tools and experiance can help , wish full , sucks spend all this money and get well < never mind

Top Bottom