Sportsman Carb Issues

polarshell

Reaction score
Hoping somebody out there can help. We have three quads, 04 Sportsman 500, 03 Sportsman 500 & 05 Sportsman 600 all having the same issue with the carb. Fuel keeps pissing out of the carb. Changed the needle & seat and the float in all of them. Adjusted the float both ways and nothing works. Start it up, rev it up and the fuel leaks. ANY IDEAS???? (Besides telling me to stop buying Polaris that is) I just want to go for a ride!!!

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
is is going to sound bad but it hink your needle is not seating, remove the bowl and with your finger actuate the needle
you will find the leak
p.s this is a no brainer but the tabs on the floats go up

polarshell

Reaction score
is is going to sound bad but it hink your needle is not seating, remove the bowl and with your finger actuate the needle
you will find the leak
p.s this is a no brainer but the tabs on the floats go up
Tried that and them being brand new needle & seats- can't see that being the issue. Like I said, we've adjsuted the tang on the float trying it both up and down then re-installing the carb and it still leaks.
Everyone we've talked to says it's either the needle & seat or the float but since we've replaced both, I just don't understand.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are the floats full of fuel?did you check that as that will cause the needle to stay open,or a bad needle and seat,or is the seat removable in that one and fuel is leaking past the o ring??also check and make sure the float still floats

gr8tdragon

Reaction score
Hate to ask this but did you buy the needle and seat for each machine from the Polaris dealer? There is different needles and seats for machines without fuel pump and with fuel pump. If you put needle and seat from machine without fuel pump in one with fuel pump then will leak for sure as the pump can over power the seat.

polarshell

Reaction score
So...here's my update. According to Polaris Canada, there is a design flaw. They're saying that the vent hole in the carb is in a bad location and it's prone to leak. I still don't buy it.

Thanks for all the help!!!

4strokin'

Reaction score
did you check your fuel pump pressure? have heard of them overpressuring when they go bad. also heard the design flaw thing before to and just can't buy it. why didn't they leak like that from new then?

Top Bottom