Sportsman 400 HO vs 350 Big Bear

mikejenn

Reaction score
I now have 99 350 big bear and I'm looking at getting a new quad. Thinking on the Sportsman 400 HO. Is this quad comparable to the big bear? I use it for work mostly and the big bear does just fine. No I don't need a 500cc or large quad the 350 cc- 400 cc range is just fine.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hold on now, the 400HO has low range. Its built into the trans. You put the lever in forward and it'll pick the proper ratio. Pulling tracks is like hauling something heavy all the time. TAke it from someone who owns one. IT WORKS. This will be the future of most atv's.

diltam

Reaction score
My son has a 09 400 sportsman and he snapped both rear axles at the same time just climbing a hill and they are not cheap , and now the front ones have a lot of play in them . The quad only has 700 kms on it so Im not sure if I would recomend this machine . My son is only 13 years old and this machine has not been road hard.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son has a 09 400 sportsman and he snapped both rear axles at the same time just climbing a hill and they are not cheap , and now the front ones have a lot of play in them . The quad only has 700 kms on it so Im not sure if I would recomend this machine . My son is only 13 years old and this machine has not been road hard.

Yup, Uhuh, Sure, just driven ti church on Sundays probably.;)

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is that 09 Sportsman 400 the new mid size chassis or is it like the full size Sportsman? If it is the smaller model it may not take the same abuse as the full size model. It is was the big model then it may have broken from abuse or a weak part. Sounds lke a weak part to me though.

How big is your 13 year old son? My nephew was almost 200 lbs at that age! He is 16 now (athletic 225lbs+) and a great rider but because of his size and strength he is a bit harder on equipment than some of us!

Good luck with your quad!

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 400HO is no weakling ! Its a midsize but tough as nails. Had mine almost 3 yrs & 4,000 miles, most of that on tracks. Don't think we can blame the machine.

Top Bottom