Sport Parts Inc (SPI) - Save your money folks

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just giving fellow sledders a heads up about the quality of these products IMO. Bought a bushing kit from them, not worth the bag it came in. I spent almost 5 hrs total combined between 2 evenings, installing 4 bushings, mainly because after I unbolted half the sled to install the other bushings, I found that the rest of the kit didn't fit, so essentially, I pulled all the suspension pieces to do a bolt inspection.......fawk meeeeee. I have installed 4 out of 10 bushings that came in the kit. I quadruple checked and cross-referenced between a number of suppliers, all who list the same product # and kit for my sled, it is the correct kit, trust me.

Issues with the kit: Spindle bushings - right OD, wrong ID, bushing flanges were way to thin (like half the thickness of stock). went to slide one on the spindle and it broke under hand pressure. Rear bushings - nice looking aluminum pieces, completely wrong OD, right ID on 1, other was completely out. The steel sleeves that fit inside the bushings were the right OD, but wrong ID for 3 out of the 4 front bolts, only 1 was correct and again, flanges on the bushings were like half the thickness of stock. Junk.

Now, I would like to think that I know my way around the shop a little, and have built a few sleds, bikes, etc in my time. My father was a machinst for 42 yrs and I know the difference between interference fit, machinist fit, carpenter fit.....and now "SPI" fit. I could squeeze out something rounder and closer to spec from between my ass cheeks. Do they even have micrometers where these are made? Is there quality control - how do you get one to fit and not the other? 3 out of 4 sleeves with the wrong ID but you managed to get 1 right? This kit was laughable. I seriously thought they just threw some random parts in a bag. I did machine one of the sleeves out so that I was able to use 2 of them from the kit, pretty sad when I have to take 28 thou out of a sleeve though so the bolt will slide through it.

I'm posting my rant here because I can't seem to find an address or phone # anywhere on the web for this mysterious SPI to give them an earful directly (so maybe they can contact me?), only a bunch of drop shippers who list the product in their catalogues. Also to warn the rest of you to stay away from these bushing kits, go get the OEM pieces or make your own like I did. Hopefully someone has had a better experience than what I went through. Just one man's opinion though.

Last edited:

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sucks that you had to be the guinea pig but thanks for the heads up.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. There used to be SPI pistons as well.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Looks like the same company selling "univeral sled parts" but I can't find a web site. Same logo in all the advertisements.

Attachments

• spi-01.jpg
    spi-01.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SPORT PARTS INC has absolutely NOTHJING to do with STRAIGHT LINE PERFORMANCE just to clarify that for everyone

Deano

shockman

Reaction score
"I could squeeze out something rounder and closer to spec from between my ass cheeks"

YOU Ba----d !!! Frosted Flakes all over my comp. screen LMAO

Top Bottom