Sorry arctic cat please forgive me

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:mad: :mad: well sled has 2500 miles and already crank problems. Can't figure out why BRP keeps making these things. Well i guees thats why they still make them good for the parts business. :rolleyes:

anyways pulled this thing apart to make sure all was good as i was going to repack the crank bearings. once it was apart it was obvious to see the problem. The o so famous grease was baked out of the pto side bearings and the inner bearing that rides up against the labrinyth seal is f*%Ked. crank costs 2200.00:rant:

be careful with this engine guys i talked to the makers of isoflex and a teck guy for 45 min and explained the grease problem. he said that what is happening is the grease has gone past it's max temp. as a result the oil that is in the grease evaporates and all you are left with is the thickening agent. and this don't lube sh*T:realmad:

The problem is BRP is passing the buck on us customers. these new XP chassis sleds have no clutch/ alignment adjustments. mine is out by 2 mm:realmad: ( I will be slopping out the motor mounts to fix this.) Take this and then add very little air flow because the engines are so enclosed and the slower speeds of mountian riding and constant upshift/backshift and you end up with HUGE HEAT PROBLEMS:realmad:

as a result is is pretty easy to see how the grease can exceed it's max temp of 120Celcius.

This WAS my first try at a BRP product and all i can say is this is BULL S#!t.

I'm glad i still have my 08 M8 as it has never given me a problem. not sure i will be keeping this BRP thing as I want to have a sled that i can build confidence in and not have to worry about crank problems or if it is going to get me home.

Thanks BRP for reasuring me that your product is crap .:nono:

Sorry Arctic cat i made a mistake please forgive me :eek:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get a reman crank for the 800R motor for about 700-800.oo. That is a core swap item so you have to send the old one back. But it's alot cheaper than goin with a new one from doo and they work just aswell in my opinion.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get a reman crank for the 800R motor for about 700-800.oo. That is a core swap item so you have to send the old one back. But it's alot cheaper than goin with a new one from doo and they work just aswell in my opinion.

That's what my bro done with his 07 800R this year he just got a core swap done...lot cheaper

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:

:p:p gumbee how the hell is it going,when you coming sledding up this way:d:beer:[ryanridge]

It's goin great. Gonna be a dad here in a month or so. Not sure on the sleddin as the shop's been so busy in the winters i have a hard time gettin out for a ride here. Some of the ridin here is so amazing it's just huge area's and just wow.. It's alot different ridin the M1000 rather than the mach to. LOL.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i guess,i didn't think you were afraid of hights[lol]all good and congrat to you and anyla[my spelling sucks]

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's goin great. Gonna be a dad here in a month or so. Not sure on the sleddin as the shop's been so busy in the winters i have a hard time gettin out for a ride here. Some of the ridin here is so amazing it's just huge area's and just wow.. It's alot different ridin the M1000 rather than the mach to. LOL.

Congrats!!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i guess,i didn't think you were afraid of hights[lol]all good and congrat to you and anyla[my spelling sucks]

Thanks. Yah not afraid of heights which is a good thing as the big kitty loves goin up hill at a high rate of speed... Hardest part can be not goin over backwards at the top os the hill...LOL...

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:mad: :mad: well sled has 2500 miles and already crank problems. Can't figure out why BRP keeps making these things. Well i guees thats why they still make them good for the parts business. :rolleyes:

anyways pulled this thing apart to make sure all was good as i was going to repack the crank bearings. once it was apart it was obvious to see the problem. The o so famous grease was baked out of the pto side bearings and the inner bearing that rides up against the labrinyth seal is f*%Ked. crank costs 2200.00:rant:

be careful with this engine guys i talked to the makers of isoflex and a teck guy for 45 min and explained the grease problem. he said that what is happening is the grease has gone past it's max temp. as a result the oil that is in the grease evaporates and all you are left with is the thickening agent. and this don't lube sh*T:realmad:

The problem is BRP is passing the buck on us customers. these new XP chassis sleds have no clutch/ alignment adjustments. mine is out by 2 mm:realmad: ( I will be slopping out the motor mounts to fix this.) Take this and then add very little air flow because the engines are so enclosed and the slower speeds of mountian riding and constant upshift/backshift and you end up with HUGE HEAT PROBLEMS:realmad:

as a result is is pretty easy to see how the grease can exceed it's max temp of 120Celcius.

This WAS my first try at a BRP product and all i can say is this is BULL S#!t.

I'm glad i still have my 08 M8 as it has never given me a problem. not sure i will be keeping this BRP thing as I want to have a sled that i can build confidence in and not have to worry about crank problems or if it is going to get me home.

Thanks BRP for reasuring me that your product is crap .:nono:

Sorry Arctic cat i made a mistake please forgive me :eek:

Arctic Cat makes a good product and they stand behind it. You never appreciate what you got till
its gone, so dont give up too early.

Last edited:

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there's a horror story for every brand I think.

First ride out my 09 HCR siezes.

couple good rides,

cpc turbo,

hasn't ran good since. Always had a bog, wasn't sure what it was.

Last ride out, it quits on me. just dies. pulled on it for an hour checking everything I could and plugs, fuel, spark and everything seemed good. Finally i moved the skis 5 inches and it fires up. running good except still has the bog. Ride it around for a bit and it goes to running on one cylinder. decide to limp it back and it dies again after a couple miles. Tow home, unload and runs great.

Take it in and it's a ground wire in behind the steering post. Throw it on the dyno and it hits 140hp. Next thing is it's the ignition coil pickup sensor (not sure if i have that right but something like that)

Few weeks later and it's running, throw it on the dyno, 3 pulls and then it dies completely.

Six weeks since i brought that POS sled in, I'm still waiting to find out what's wrong with it.

I have right around 25k into this POS Arctic Crap and I now I dream about putting my old 99 XC 700 Polaris together so I have something that will actually run without worrying about being towed out by an XP again.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so warhawk what happened to the labyrinth seal, and was the bearing seized to the shaft? kind of sounds like if you had put some of the iso grease in the clutch side you may be good. info :beer:

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the bearings cage was coming apart that was up against the labrinth seal. This is what took out seals garter spring.

The crank arrived at its destination yesterday. I phoned and they hadn't picked up the mail yet. He said he was going to take a look at it on monday and give me a call.

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, it was put on just after 200 miles. Sled has 350ish now and the last ride I went on I actually had to borrow a Rev haha

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, it was put on just after 200 miles. Sled has 350ish now and the last ride I went on I actually had to borrow a Rev haha

I can feel for you as nobody ever wants problems. :eek:
But notice it happened in the first tank or so. I can accept this as sometimes things are not being put together right example a bad seal installation etc etc But 2500miles and the crank goes out. I have to wonder why. 200miles i would say seals installed wrong, air leak intake leak etc. These are things that happen quick. Electrical is a differernt demon.

have these electrical problems showed up after turbo install?? If so it could be heat build up or maybe when turbo was being put in harnesses were moved ? just a thought.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That is strange. I have installed a few turbo's on M8's and none have had issues. And i know alot of guys that have a couple thousand km's on them with no issues. I'd be leanin the same way as warhawk that it was something not assembled right from the factory. We had rentals this season that were m8's and they got couple thous km's and no issues except for the hcr's breakin primary clutch springs.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well good news :) the place i bought the sled from is going to warranty the crank. bad news is they are BO'ed until august15th. Maybe there's a BIGGER problem than we know.LOL

Top Bottom