Opinions on new entry level brands

Chuck403

Reaction score
Might be some rambling here, so bear with me.

The better half and I are just getting into the sport. We picked up a couple of beaters to learn on this winter if we ever get enough snow. Looking at breaking the bank account open for next year though. I have been scouring the internet lately trying to find out everything I can on makes, models, reliability, deep snow and trail riding performance etc etc etc. I think I get settled on one, then read something somewhere that changes my mind.

The "Is the $2000 difference worth it" thread has changed my mind once again lol. After reading the original post there, I told myself if I were him, I'd get the pro. $2000 is a lot of savings. However reading further into that thread, your posts really favour getting the summit, based on reliability, trade in value, and ridability.

We wouldn't be looking at getting mountain sleds, most of our riding will be consisting of the trails, and cutlines around here. We may go to the Valemount, McBride areas once or twice a year type thing. I was there 20+ years ago on a Polaris xcr I think it was, and did just fine.I've never had the desire for the hill climbing thing. I'll watch you guys do it, but it's just not for me.

With that in mind, I was looking at the crossover models. I excluded Yamaha and Arctic Cat. Even though I have a Yamaha Quad, and love it, the Price, and weight of their sleds drove me away. I have never been an Arctic Cat fan. Years ago my parents had one that was an absolute lemon. That machine, plus having a Suzuki Quad that constantly needed fixing soured me on Cats. (I think Suzuki makes Cat engines, Please correct me if I'm wrong). I love the body styles and colours of the Cats, but just have a hate on for them.

That leaves me between Ski Doo, and Polaris. Looking at the 600 size. I think that would be more than ample for what we would use them for. As I said, we would be mostly on the trails and cutlines here. There are no groomers anywhere close to here, so getting into untouched snow here and there and hopping off the trails to play in open areas will be happening.

We will be getting Injected sleds. I'm handy with a wrench, but tearing carbs apart to re-jet just doesn't sound like my idea of fun.

I will be keeping them stock as well. Just like most everything else, the more you tinker, and tweak, the more maintenance, and fixing needs doing. No desire to have the old ride for a day, fix for a week thing happening.

Years ago when I bought my first new quad, a Kodiak 450, I was very happy with it. A co-worker told me I should have got the Grizzly, because I would end up wishing I had more jam to play with in a few months. well what do you know, he was right. I know right now, a 800 is capable of so much more than what I would be able to do with it. but after some substantial seat time on a 600, would I be left with wanting more?

I have read so much about the reliability of the Yamahas. Is it worth putting up with the extra weight, and price of them for the years of trouble free riding I should be able to get from them? Before I started researching all I could find, I was set on a Ski Doo. My very limited seat time 2 decades ago on that old xcr had me impressed with Polaris.

The more I try to research, it feels like the more confused I end up.

If you have been a life long brand X rider, what made you stay? If you switched to brand Y, what made you make the switch?

I'm hoping this doesn't end up being a brand bash. Looking for honest personal experiences or problems you have seen your buddies have.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 600's have come a long way, today's FI 600's are making the power of a 10 year old 800. A 600 is still plenty fast but the 800 is nice in the mountains. If you are only planning the occasional mountain ride and staying with a shorter track I don't see any reason to shy away from the 600. A 600 146 XM will go further than a typical mod sled from your last riding time 20 years ago.

SnowDog

Reaction score
Go with an 800, my buddy bought a 2016 Renegade 600 last year thinking it would be more than enough for him after owning an older sled, a 2000 two up touring sled and now he is wishing he had gone with an 800. We do mostly riding around here and when the snow gets a little deep out on the lake or on the trails, it is not enough power for him, he is a big guy, around the 250 lb area, so i guess if you are a skinny little guy, a 600 may be okay for you.

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
The Polaris 600 is a good sled with none of the 800's problems and is less expensive then a Ski doo. For the type of riding you talk about doing, I wouldn't cross out an Arctic cat.
JMO

Last edited:

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
Go with an 800, my buddy bought a 2016 Renegade 600 last year thinking it would be more than enough for him after owning an older sled, a 2000 two up touring sled and now he is wishing he had gone with an 800. We do mostly riding around here and when the snow gets a little deep out on the lake or on the trails, it is not enough power for him, he is a big guy, around the 250 lb area, so i guess if you are a skinny little guy, a 600 may be okay for you.

Hey! Did you just call me "a skinny little guy" ? :)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started to type a reply to your post, but I'm wondering if you'd like to chat on the phone. I of course love love LOVE Polaris with all my heart but I am super objective when it comes to helping people find the ride and brand that best suits them. Sometimes it comes down to dealer support. We can run through some of the options you have, some of the gremlins to look for with each brand, that kind of thing. I can give you some food for thought and some information and hopefully answer some questions you have. If you can give me about 20 min I'll be at our shop. (we aren't OEM so don't worry lol) 250 428 7531 and my name is Trish.

Woo HOOOO for you and your wife getting into the sport together! That's awesome!

trlrprk

Reaction score
I am a big guy and ride a 15 polaris pro 600 155.....i go everywhere in the mountains that the 800 goes.......the 600 has lots of jam for your trail riding and it will be fine playing in the powder....I have rode 800's and 1000's and i will buy 600's from now on....if you have any questions please feel free to pm me...... big fan of the polaris assault 600 144

Last edited:

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tough to trust opinions on Snow and Mud when you don't know who they are coming from. For example, What one person considers beginner terrain is advanced to others.

Worth it to Rent for a few days if you're having trouble making up your mind. Since you and your wife ride together, rent a 600 & and 800 the same day, or a Summit and an RMK the same day so you can feel the differences and make up your own minds.

A few years ago I was thinking about switching from a Summit to an RMK and couldn't make up my mind. Rented a new RMK in Sicamous for a day and it definitely made my choice easy.

Call Trish - she won't steer you wrong.

There will always be someone willing to purchase your used equipment if you change your mind an a year or two.

Chuck403

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great replies, PM's and a phone call. Looks like a great community that we are getting ourselves into. Definitely helped to clear the waters, wait this is snowmobiles, not boats....helped to part the drifts? You definitely helped get my head screwed back on straight.

The overwhelming response I got was get a good dealer. There are none in town here, Either Grande Prairie, or Edson are the closest ones, and only about 15 min difference going to one or the other. So regardless of location, it's a road trip. Such is life in small towns. Based on my one experience with two different sales Depts in one of those locations, if I was buying today, I know where I'd be going.

Thinking sleds are like trucks, the whole Ford vs Chev vs Dodge, and I was just over thinking it all.

Looking like I will be most happy with a 600 something lol.Another 2 dealers to test drive so to speak, and decision will be made.

roadlinur113

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tons of good info and opinions here to help you navigate the waters. I will say only 2 things. 1 being don't discount a 4 stroke for the type of riding you do as the weight difference on trails is barely noticeable. Their reliability is legendary. 2 is that it's an excellent year to buy right now with the slow economy....new non current sleds prices are at an all time low and as such the used market prices are unusually low as well. Good luck with your Shopping!

PolarisHighlifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats on getting int the sport. This is my first year in the mountains but i also ride a lot around here. This is what i found when i was looking........... I will first say that it don't matter what brand you buy any sled today is going todo more that you need it to. I personally went with a 155 pro assault because i wanted the ability to go to the mountains. If I was in your situation I would consider looking at the either the SKS pro because of the dual coolers on it for better trail ridding but more then fine for the mountains or look at the Pro S or Pro X difference between the 2 is one is the Pro S is more a trail sled and the Pro X is same but a few extras for ditch banging or of trail ridding. Both have very comfortable ridding and i have never rode a machine with a better ride on woopped out trails then these. I would have bought a pro x myself if i were ridding here a lot and not wanting to go to the mountains. If you like I have a family member that works for cycleworks just pm me and i will give you his info.

Just my .02 cents

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a big guy and ride a 15 polaris pro 600 155.....i go everywhere in the mountains that the 800 goes.......the 600 has lots of jam for your trail riding and it will be fine playing in the powder....I have rode 800's and 1000's and i will buy 600's from now on....if you have any questions please feel free to pm me...... big fan of the polaris assault 600 144
I am not disputing that a 600 is a good sled but i know it wont "go where the 800's go" , lol

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Riderz is a great dealership. It is a very good idea to develop a good relationship with a dealer and I think you mentioned that above. I agree on the point about the 600 vs the 800. When I first came to the mountains, I was listening to a friend who said all I needed was a 600. It didn't take long to find out the difference. But then again, to each their own.

The 600 etec's are sound motors as are 600 poo's. Tough decision for you. Good luck and enjoy getting back into a great sport.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're intention is to solely ride the parklands with the occasional trip to the mountains, a 600 is plenty IMO. It's when the air gets thinner, do you sometimes wish you had a few more hamsters under the hood. Current 600's are plenty fast. Those who doubt haven't ridden one at low elevation - they are geared and will go faster than your mountain sled will go at altitude. My opinion changes if you are a big dude and the extra torque of the 800 is nice to have. We have both in the family - Backcountry 600, couple of 1200's, and a few 800's in both Summit and Renegade trims. They all have a compromise in one area or another, just need to pick where you will ride the most. The nice thing about the 600's is they are below the magic number of 700cc's and seem to last significantly longer than the larger bore 800's. Rarely crank problems, rarely need rebuilds before 5-6000 miles.

As mentioned, a 4 stroke maybe worth looking into if you primarily ride at low altitude. The torque is addicting, the weight isn't a big issue.

All of the machines are good nowadays - after a few poor years of snow, there's sure to be some deals kicking around the countryside. Don't forget to add some budget for good gear. There's no use in buying nice, new machines when you're freezing your bits and pieces off and can't use them.

Good Luck and ask as many questions as you need.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Meah, you're both grown adults you don't need a 600, stick with the 800's they're all reliable. Probably stay away from the 4 strokes if you're going out west and make sure to get the wife E-start, and yourself if you wish :beer:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not disputing that a 600 is a good sled but i know it wont "go where the 800's go" , lol

^this,
600's do ok until there is a meter of fresh snow.
For flatland riding a 600 is more than capable.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
600 skidoo summit sport, cheapest sled by far, bullet proof motor, easy on gas. Out climbs the old 800. Weighs 431 lbs. Comes with skidoos new suspension.

Top Bottom