Sold the Phazer, what should I buy for the girlfriend/a backup sled for myself?

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just took a deposit on the Phazer so I am looking for a different sled for the woman. I also plan on having it double as a backup sled for myself.

Leaning towards an M6 or 06/07 Summit 600 SDI but am also thinking maybe i should look at the 800 cc sleds. I dont really want to spend more than 7000 max and would prefer to be closer to 6000.

What do you recommend I look for?

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just took a deposit on the Phazer so I am looking for a different sled for the woman. I also plan on having it double as a backup sled for myself.

Leaning towards an M6 or 06/07 Summit 600 SDI but am also thinking maybe i should look at the 800 cc sleds. I dont really want to spend more than 7000 max and would prefer to be closer to 6000.

What do you recommend I look for?

Do you think an 800 might be too much power for her and maybe scare her? Depends on her experience I guess.
You probably want reverse on it too, incase she gets in a tight spot. So we can rule out 05-06 M6's. So that leaves 07+ M6's and 06/07 Summit 600 SDI's. I don't see too many Summit 600's for sale, but maybe because I'm looking for the 800 and 1000 machines :d

Sorry, not much help, just a few things to think of. I don't you can go wrong with the either 2 choices you got...

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya im worried that the 800 might scare her but im not 100% sure on that.

I am actively looking for an 06/07 600 sdi, i have found an 06 with 1300 miles for 6000, not sure he will move much on the price. I guess its never been to the mountains, just around here. It does have a little piece broken out of the bottom of the belly pan though when his ramped slipped when loading. He said he glued it back in and used a little piece of metal to brace it.

Do you think that is a decent price?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive spent alot of time on the 600s and the 800s. theres not much differance. they are both powerfull machines. the 800 wont scare her anymore than the 600. but if your going to the mountains with it you might regret not getting the 800 as a backup. and your right there are alot more 800s to choose from

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my cuz has an 07 600 sdi 136" renegade 1.25" track great sled ,sweet ride.I could ask him if he's interested in selling that if you want?...He took it to the mountains only once last year,otherwise all flatland riding

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya im worried that the 800 might scare her but im not 100% sure on that.

I am actively looking for an 06/07 600 sdi, i have found an 06 with 1300 miles for 6000, not sure he will move much on the price. I guess its never been to the mountains, just around here. It does have a little piece broken out of the bottom of the belly pan though when his ramped slipped when loading. He said he glued it back in and used a little piece of metal to brace it.

Do you think that is a decent price?

Maxwell makes a good point too, I've never spent much time on 600's either, just assumed they are less power.

$6000 is too high for a 6000, the retail price is anywhere from $5000-5800. You could look into the 06/07 800's with 144" tracks, I've seen alot of these for sale. Just make sure the 07 has a new 08 motor, if it doesn't look the other way.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a female rider, I will tell you - I LOVE the M6.

I love the way it handles, the ride, the throttle response, the chassis, I even love the 2 stroke smell. I have been riding sleds since before I rode a bike without training wheels and the Arctic Cat 600 is plenty for me. I demo-ed a 2009 Cross 8 SnoPro last year, and preferred my sister's 2009 M6?

I'd say the best thing to do is wait for the snow to fly and get your woman on a couple - and you try a couple too, since it's your back up...

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I thought the price is a bit high. So if i could get it for 5500 it might be a bit more reasonable?

Can you clear some stuff up for me on the 800s?

The 04/05 had bag rings correct? Was that the only problem?
The 06 was the best year for the 800 as far as reliability is concerned?
The 07 had alot of engine problems, were they all replaced or just the ones that blew up?

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I love the way it handles, the ride, the throttle response, the chassis, I even love the 2 stroke smell. I have been riding sleds since before I rode a bike without training wheels and the Arctic Cat 600 is plenty for me. I demo-ed a 2009 Cross 8 SnoPro last year, and preferred my sister's 2009 M6?

I'd say the best thing to do is wait for the snow to fly and get your woman on a couple - and you try a couple too, since it's your back up...

I am actively looking for an m6 but it must be an 07 or newer since i want reverse. That doesn't leave many to choose from and the price is a bit more than i want to spend.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup for sure Femme fatale..... Let her her try a few out to see what she is comfortable on. My understanding is this isn't her first experience riding, so she'll have an idea of what feels good or not. My hubby has an 05 M7 that I freaking fell in love with last year. This year I have an 08 M8 153, I was able to try one out first though to know if I meshed with it or not.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am actively looking for an m6 but it must be an 07 or newer since i want reverse. That doesn't leave many to choose from and the price is a bit more than i want to spend.

Well in that case, I would PM TTP... he is trying to get my mom into a newer sled, she has an 07 M6 that she has owned since new - it's her baby, she has taken great care of it... worth a try?

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the guys i ride with has a M6, He has a few mods done to it, boondocker and can. He rides it hard it, has never left him on the hill. He will keep up to any 8 " yes could be the rider" But fear not as a back up for yourself it is fun. LIGHT weight means you can toss it to where ever you want.
Your girlfriend will have a sled she can keep up with have fun with if she chose, if she gets stuck she doesnt have to wait for help, and have that feeling of im taking from your ride time . I know what this feels like personally when i was on a heavy lead POS never take to the mountains sled.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife rides once or twice a year. very timid, just rides meadows and stuff. never once has my 800xp scared her, and even though the long track (163) is harder to turn, she rarely gets stuck.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I thought the price is a bit high. So if i could get it for 5500 it might be a bit more reasonable?

Can you clear some stuff up for me on the 800s?

The 04/05 had bag rings correct? Was that the only problem?
The 06 was the best year for the 800 as far as reliability is concerned?
The 07 had alot of engine problems, were they all replaced or just the ones that blew up?

Yes 04/05 had flakey rings, this can easily be fixed and has on most sled. Other than this they were pretty reliable, I ride with two 04's and they've been good.
06 was more reliable, lighter and more powerful than previous years.
07 had bad engine problems and some clutching issues. You should make sure it has a new 08 motor and has some updated clutching. I don't think they were all replaced, but if they blew up it sounds like skidoo would provide a new engine free and you would just need to pay for labour.

Also to clarify some other posts by others, 600 sleds are not lighter than 800's! In fact the 600's tend to be a bit heavier...

sheldon11

Reaction score
Well if you are interested i have an 06 m7 in great shape for sale for $5800 with bar risers,snow eliminators other than that pretty much stock with around 2000 km i just bought a new m8 snopro if you want to have a look you can call me on my cell 780-695-3816. by Sherwood Park

Thanks
Sheldon

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see the 06's for that price but they dont have reverse :( Right now that is kind of a deal breaker for me.

I am looking at the M8s as well, there are a lot more to choose from.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my 07 600sdi. The great thing is that it's extremely reliable and waaaayyy cheaper to run than hubby's 06 800. The overall annual costs per season (we each do approx 3500k/year) when you consider everything...gas, oil, parts/repairs...is HALF! It has nice power, starts like a dream and rips through the powder! Not good in 4 feet on steep hills though :( Any woman would love this sled!
I'm getting ready for an upgrade and we're hoping to keep this sled as a spare as it's been so good. Lots of ladies like the M series though...I don't think either would be a disappointment.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you are interested i have an 06 m7 in great shape for sale for $5800 with bar risers,snow eliminators other than that pretty much stock with around 2000 km i just bought a new m8 snopro if you want to have a look you can call me on my cell 780-695-3816. by Sherwood Park

Thanks
Sheldon

If it had reverse I would be interested. Right now I want to wait for one with reverse for her.

Top Bottom