New member looking to get into the Sledding Sport

jasper909

Reaction score
So, as the title says, I am looking to get into the sport and need some tips on how to get started. I ride motorcycles during the summer months (all three of them this year...) but I want something to bomb around on in the winter too!
A bit about me:

• 6'2" and ~220lbs, in my 20's
  • mostly riding powder, mountain, and some trails with friends
  • a BIG plus if I can ride 2 up on easy trails with the gf, but dont want to sacrifice when its just me (a perfect world...)
  • relatively mechanically inclined, so I have been leaning towards 2 strokes, but open to suggestions.
  • have a big hard on for Yamaha, since i ride an FZ6R in the summer, but am open to really any manufacturer in the big 4
I would like to buy used, and prefer not to go past ~$5-6k (not including safety gear).
Please let me know what I should be looking for for my first sled!

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is kind of uncommon but not impossible to have a two up mountain sled for 5 to 6 k you are looking at machines in the 2006-08 range. Yamaha has not built 2 strokes for awhile now so they are heavier with the 4 stroke engines. Skidoo offers the summit models for mountain riding, polaris the rmk, artic cat the m series.

jasper909

Reaction score
Where are you at?

Sorry, southern Alberta, in the Calgary Region.

polaris the rmk, artic cat the m series.

I have heard about these two makes and models. I was looking at the Arctic Cat M series (probably the 7 or 800). Anything I should be cautious about when buying or looking?

Also, is there a specific year I should avoid?

One more thing, you said the Yamis are only pushing 4 strokes out now. Would you recommend the 2 stroke to a new rider, or is the 4 going to be better? I have always liked 2 strokes but i'm not sure if there is a difference on sleds than say dirt bikes.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stick with a 2 stroke. 4 stroke mountain sleds need experience to ride and they cost a lot of money to have one set up properly. A stock M series from AC or a RMK from polaris in either the 140's or 150's for track length would be a good place to start looking. I would just be cautious with the Polaris and make sure that it isn't one of their problem years.

jasper909

Reaction score
Stick with a 2 stroke. 4 stroke mountain sleds need experience to ride and they cost a lot of money to have one set up properly. A stock M series from AC or a RMK from polaris in either the 140's or 150's for track length would be a good place to start looking. I would just be cautious with the Polaris and make sure that it isn't one of their problem years.

Ok 2 smoker it is. I thought the same but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a huge advantage to 4 stroke I didnt know about.

What are the bad years for Polaris?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ok 2 smoker it is. I thought the same but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a huge advantage to 4 stroke I didnt know about.

What are the bad years for Polaris?

All of them? Hahahahaha....Yes the motors are very suspect but also are the older Doo's (the R motor) with 3000 kms and over. The older AC motors were bullet proof and so are the newer ones. A lot of belt issues with some of the older AC sleds. Be careful and doo your homework. You can find a great sled in your price range.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard about these two makes and models. I was looking at the Arctic Cat M series (probably the 7 or 800). Anything I should be cautious about when buying or looking?

05/06 M7's were a great sled, but no reverse, and the rear suspension was less than stellar riding without mods. I still have one as a spare. 07/08 M8 had mechanical reverse. Only real concern was a cheap bearing in the drive system (Diamond drive). Easy to fix, and most should be upgraded to a double row thrust bearing by now. The rear suspension was much better in 08. 09 M8 has engine reverse but the Diamond drive bearing issue still needs to be addressed. 05-09 all run on regular gas. 10/11 they bumped the horsepower up, which required premium fuel. Diamond drive bearing still needs to be updated in the 10/11. Cheap fawkers at AC never did go back to a double row bearing like they had in the 05/06.

All in all these sleds are all very reliable and fun to ride, and I still prefer the old M chassis over the new AC Proclimb. That's why I'm on a 2010. Even most of the Doo guys on here will admit the Cats of these years have the most reliable engines in the industry. You'll easily find 05 - 09 in your price range, but I think you should be able to find as new as a 2010 as well, and there's really no difference between 10/11. The used market is flooded because AC sold soooooo many of them!

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All of them? Hahahahaha....Yes the motors are very suspect but also are the older Doo's (the R motor) with 3000 kms and over. The older AC motors were bullet proof and so are the newer ones. A lot of belt issues with some of the older AC sleds. Be careful and doo your homework. You can find a great sled in your price range.
700 polaris in 2008 are good engines and fairly powerful they just could not seem to build a good 800 to match the life span and power of the other makes

jasper909

Reaction score
So it has come down to buy a Arctic Cat M 700, or 800, from 2005 to 2010?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I picked up my 2011 M8 with 400 miles last year for $7300... upgraded from my 2007 M8.... as stated "bulletproof"

mind you lots of guys would say the same about the BRP Rev's and the Polaris 700's it's the Polaris 800's you want to avoid.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All sleds are pretty good. What is important is reliability and fit. You are a tall guy and your top priority should finding a sled you can feel comfortable riding all day. Riding a motor bike on the street is different from a mountain sled as you rarely sit on the seat. Standing up wrestling a sled all day is not fun when you are humped over to reach the handle bars.
I am 6'4" and almost 50 years old. I rented a 10 AC 800 in Fernie for a week before I bought a sled. I got pounded and flipped over the handle bars and struggled with any side hill riding.
Then I rented a '12 Polaris RMK 800 and what I found was a much better fit and the next trip up the mountains was very different. The fit was better with a taller seat and handle bars and the sidehilling came to me as if I had been doing it for years.
What my conclusion was is that all sleds have reliability issues. My choice was to find the fit and handling and make the repairs to get reliable.
If you buy used, be prepared to do some repairs and keep on the maintenance, greasing suspension, good oil and fresh clean gas 91+ Octane gas. Make sure you check what you have to do to the clutches for weighting or 'clicks' for riding at different elevation as it makes a huge difference. LOL.
Good luck with your search.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend a polaris 600 as they are bulletproof but a person your size is better off with more displacement.

Top Bottom