So now what will we see?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was riding with Tyler Blair on the weekend he's got a 153 with the cat 3" track. Ice age bomber rails and a 900 big bore. Ultimate freeride sled that thing moved along pretty good!

Yeah done up they are a pretty sick sled.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris needs to work on the fit and finish of the sleds. They dont hold up to abuse as well as the XM. Plus the motor issues they have had I wouldnt touch one.

Would like to see doo drop some weight and some bigger hp numbers (175-180hp) but other than that I am stoked on what they are putting out right now.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the release of Polaris's new machine not being to exciting what do you think is in store for the new Doo models. I am almost sure we will see a 154 T3 package but other than that there is nothing more to do. Until the other manufactures do something extreme we are likely not going to see any drastic changes in the Doo line up. What are everyone's realistic thoughts?

I finally figured out what the world looks like to the doo crowd.....must be like wearing these babies:
john-lennon-glasses-yellow-tint-p1780.jpg

Or maybe this ? ;)

Blindfold1.jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cats are a solid good working sled. too bad they brought a race sled into the mountain segment. There is nothing mountain specific about that sled and those a -arms are a side hilling disaster.

To be fair there is Nothing mountain specific about the xm either really. It's a xp with different plastics.

I agree cats engine is a reliable one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

camsledhead

Reaction score
Tha pro may be lighter but the power to weight ratio... Doo still has them beat.

408lbs at 161hp on a 155" track thats 2.53 pounds pr hp
The Doo is 464lbs at 163.9 hp on 154" track thats 2.69 pounds per hp.

Gonna see a 154" T3 next year........

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless I'd ride either one if given to me. It's not that I walk around looking through yellow glasses or drink doolaid but the fact that I had a 2012 cat and it was a pile of crap and all my buddies had pro's and had the engine problems. Im yet to have any major issues with my xms. Until another brand comes out with something major or better warranty I don't think ill be switching any time soon. I still see at least 75% doos in the parking lot and on the hill so that says something.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be fair there is Nothing mountain specific about the xm either really. It's a xp with different plastics.

I agree cats engine is a reliable one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Footwells? 3" track? T motion? 174? Drop and roll? Ds3 ski? Running boards? Rounded panels not square panels?

There is a few things but when people talk mountain specific chassis what does that even mean? End of the day you are piloting a track with an engine and 2 skis. What shape that is in does not matter it's how comfortable you are on it and then weight power and traction become the more important factors.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tha pro may be lighter but the power to weight ratio... Doo still has them beat.

ahhhh....Wouldn't you want less pounds per Hp to win?

Either way the XM could stand to shed a few pounds, I doubt a 154 T3 will be in the line up, that's a pretty small market. The 154x 2.5's are popular in the prairies as they aren't crazy over kill for stubble jumping and you can still have a ton of fun with them out west.... I don't think they would sell enough of them to make it worth while. What I would suspect to see is the RAS front end on all the Summits except for maybe the Sport. I'm also looking forward to see what crazy color the Freeride's are going to be..

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the doo would be 2.83 pounds per hp......your math is out

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris needs to work on the fit and finish of the sleds. They dont hold up to abuse as well as the XM. Plus the motor issues they have had I wouldnt touch one.

Would like to see doo drop some weight and some bigger hp numbers (175-180hp) but other than that I am stoked on what they are putting out right now.

I see fit and finish commented on lots with Polaris. I own my first one, I don't see what the issue is. Everything fits well, honestly better than my Doo's did after one ride as I don't seem to bash them off as many trees. I like the minimalist approach Polaris has with the mountain sleds. Simple switches that don't cost a fortune, they use Pro taper bars, their WE shocks are comparable to Doo's X package shocks. I honestly don't notice any of it when I am riding.

That 163.9hp makes me laugh every time. No one since has been able to get over 160hp out of a stock Etec and show that they did it. I have been a member of DynoTech for several years, they have some good reading for sure. Good on Doo for using that "independent" test result since 2011. Even the 2011 Doo brochures said 155, then Dynotech released its result and their marketing group had a picnic! Now is 155hp anything to laugh at? Of course not. I think all three two stroke sleds will be making in the 150-160 range.

Do I think the new Liberty HO makes 161? Dynotech did a few tests, it left me curious to say the least. No idea, again, what if its 155hp? Anything in the 3-5 HP difference range is just enough to point fingers at one another on the playground. It doesn't mean much. Regardless if the Polaris remains with less HP moving forward, I do not believe it is very noticeable, maybe just on paper. The Polaris clutching is better, the primary with the team secondary is very efficient. Then add in the belt drive and its a good combo. I would go so far as to say there is more power transferred to the track of the Polaris than the Doo. Go ahead, argue it.

Now, does 50 pounds of weight mean something? I would have no problem with an etec making 170 HP on a stock sled if my sled made 160 and was 50 pounds lighter.

I am hoping Doo does something big, but I believe for the mountain segment you are not going to see much progression over the 163/174 T3's. Maybe they find a way to shave another 10 pounds, which I think is reasonable on those sleds, and maybe go back to the 2010.5 hot tune and gain some power back. The trail sleds will likely see any advancement in power units. If there is the Etec2 out there the new power generally ends up in the trail sleds for a year based upon recent years releases. Good on them if they drop a new motor into the mountain class sleds for 2016.

When Doo does have their next "big" release, I believe you will see a slightly different front end design. The current S-module leaves a little to be desired. Possibly an integrated front end, not two separate modules. There is some savings, but possible strength to gain back. They never really got away from the Rev Nun weakness issues. With that a slightly different suspension design. What about something revolutionary like one a-arm and a pro link wishbone like a dirt bike for each side??? The suspension would be able to move in 3 dimensions vs up and down. Of course LED lights, I think that's an easy one and saves some weight. Not sure you will get that for 2016, but it maybe not to far away.

Canadian Snow

Reaction score
The axys RMK has improved on everything over the Pro RMK, looks like a great job by Polaris. The reliability has yet to be proven on the new motor, they claim the trail version has had no problems but a mountain sled get a lot more abuse and strain. The new rails look scary thin to me, the 9lbs weight reduction might have made some spots stronger but others look weak. On Snowest there is some good feed back from guys that have road the axys RMK. It does everything better then the Pro and is a very snappy new motor, got some negatives tho with being twitchy on the trail (mountain sled so who cares). A couple of the test riders are running T3 163 Xm's this year and they were impressed with the axys RMK but in a foot of fresh the track speeds were not that impressive and the T3 still rolls over easier. That being said with more time on the axys RMK they would ride one possibly, they are not saying the new RMK is a must have sled tho over a T3. Going to be interesting to see what happens for 2016. If polaris has no major reliability issues they will do good with the axys RMK but from the sounds of things Ski-doo doesn't have to worry about much (still has some weak areas tho). With the T3 from skidoo and the new RMK Polaris they are leading the way for 800 sleds. Hopefully these 2 companies keep pushing each other. Maybe cat will surprise us with some innovation of their own.

Last edited:

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was looking at the rmk 2 years ago and they couldn't bother to knock the slag off there welds before they powder coated them just fit and finish of things maybe they have gotten better not sure.

Have Ridden with guys that have just absolutely destroyed them after a season breaking suspension mounts cracked bulkheads. Since they have moved to Doo they get 2 seasons out of them now. Perhaps not an issue for some guys.

To be fair I have wrecked my fair share of Doos also. Can change an s module in my sleep

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You need to re read your own post... how is more POUNDS per HP better?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Footwells? 3" track? T motion? 174? Drop and roll? Ds3 ski? Running boards? Rounded panels not square panels?

There is a few things but when people talk mountain specific chassis what does that even mean? End of the day you are piloting a track with an engine and 2 skis. What shape that is in does not matter it's how comfortable you are on it and then weight power and traction become the more important factors.

The chassis is your main frame, just tunnel length changes. It's splitting hairs I know but it's what it is. The accessories is what makes the model mtn specfic. 174 3" etc.
I don't believe there will ever be a true mtn specfic sled.

Technically the chassis has not changed since 08, and that's why there is no seperate XM section on doo talk.

I totally agree on the "what your comfortable with" comment, I've never felt comfortable riding a pro, heard good things from the guys who got on the new axys, so for the poo hards that's great news.
The cat chassis feels like a xp to me so I enjoy riding it.
I hope the others manuf sleds works so well next year that doo will be forced to up their game.

Sent from my iPhone using The terrible app called Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The chassis is your main frame, just tunnel length changes. It's splitting hairs I know but it's what it is. The accessories is what makes the model mtn specfic. 174 3" etc.
I don't believe there will ever be a true mtn specfic sled.

Technically the chassis has not changed since 08, and that's why there is no seperate XM section on doo talk.

I totally agree on the "what your comfortable with" comment, I've never felt comfortable riding a pro, heard good things from the guys who got on the new axys, so for the poo hards that's great news.
The cat chassis feels like a xp to me so I enjoy riding it.
I hope the others manuf sleds works so well next year that doo will be forced to up their game.

Sent from my iPhone using The terrible app called Tapatalk

Talking with Chris this weekend he was saying the steering on the axys isn't as flat as the pro. Meaning it has some downward dip. Might be more comfortable for us doo guys

Top Bottom