So how about those heli-skiers?!

Black08Brute

Reaction score
The reason they heli ski in the area's that they do is because if something happens and the chopper cant land they need another route up there to retrieve the skiers. So I was told....

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are ever "buzzed" by a helicopter write down the call letters and call tranpsort canada.This is very dangerous to all involved including the pilot.Ever think of what would happen if the engine quit or the transmision came apart or the tail rotor? Zero altitude low airspeed bad news especially in the mountains.Dont bother with the local police they are on mikes side transport wont be so nice

If you are being buzzed by a heli it is because you are near or close to there landing flags. You know those black sticks with orange or red flags on them!!! Stay away from there landing areas so they can land and take off!! It is very easy to co-exist!! Bottom line see a heli coming in to land get the eff out of the way! Same thing if you are driving down the highway and a transport is coming right at you! You move out of the way!!!!!!!

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
plastic bag theoy wont work,all inlets have screens and filters.stick in the rotors works better....just sayen...even better is a call to edmonton, transport canada aviation division with the company and call sign.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are being buzzed by a heli it is because you are near or close to there landing flags. You know those black sticks with orange or red flags on them!!! Stay away from there landing areas so they can land and take off!! It is very easy to co-exist!! Bottom line see a heli coming in to land get the eff out of the way! Same thing if you are driving down the highway and a transport is coming right at you! You move out of the way!!!!!!!

Are you saying that skiers should come first or the saftey of the craft?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you think vancouver island helicopters who leases his choppers to him would approve of pulling stunts like that.

im not sure i dont know how these things work. seems kind of like abusing a rental car lol

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
plastic bag theoy wont work,all inlets have screens and filters.stick in the rotors works better....just sayen...even better is a call to edmonton, transport canada aviation division with the company and call sign.

Damn right if i or a person in my group is riding and a Heli starts to come down even close , you bet im getting his tag #. He can wait till it is safe to come down. Ther is no reason for a sled to be even bothered by a Heli. I am on the ground therefore i have the right of way to leave safely. He can hover till i am safley out of the way or he need to go back for more fuel. I have worked under copters and know just what the rotor wash can do. Have you ever seen a stick fly through the air from the down draft? I can tell you with 100% truth that the wind can knock you off a stump/log.:realmad:

Yes i know the pilot is doing his job.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: heli-skiers!!!!!!!!!!

i had a cool experience on friday!!!!!!!!! jan5th my friend and i were sledding at miledge and it was snowing hard so we ducked into the trees abit down the trail and a chopper landed about 40 ft from where we were and 10 people got out they were standing beside us very friendly my buddy looked down and keifer sutherlands name was on the skis he asked and sure enough it was him,he shook our hand and headed down the mountain.

Cool story but who has custom skis with their name on them?

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that skiers should come first or the saftey of the craft?

The safety of the craft and the people aboard!! I am not saying heli skiers should come first. I am a sledder myself one that rides 4000+km a year in the mountains of bc and I know if you see a heli trying to land get out of the way it is just common sense!!!

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The safety of the craft and the people aboard!! I am not saying heli skiers should come first. I am a sledder myself one that rides 4000+km a year in the mountains of bc and I know if you see a heli trying to land get out of the way it is just common sense!!!

Thanx for clearing that one up for myself

dirtbag

Reaction score
when I was inquiring about a tenure for cat skiing I was told by the ministry that there is esentially nothing that can be done if sledders wont respect the boundaries,they are agrements not laws applying to tenures,if sledders dont respect agrements there is no recourse,the cops might side with wigly but I believe it is a bluff from what I know ,its crown land is the bottom line,the only recourse a tenure holder has is to try and come to an agrement with local riders,or hikers or any other users of the crown land ,they dont have the right to ban people from crown land just because you hold a tenure ,they do have the right to prevent any other people from operating commercial operations on the land though,thats it..so know the out of bounds areas and forget about tenure lines is my take..the ministries suggestion was to make a time when your area is open to people in general and you might have sledders give you respect for your tanure boundaries when it is important to you.

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you think vancouver island helicopters who leases his choppers to him would approve of pulling stunts like that.

im not sure i dont know how these things work. seems kind of like abusing a rental car lol

The pilots are VIH employees just so you know!!

booster

Reaction score
I talked a freind who does safety for transport she would love to hear which machines are doing this.we do have the right of way on the ground,I agree we should all try to co-exist but endangering peoples lives is not necissary.I too worked under helicopters and have been around them my whole life I know what rotor wash is like,205 is bad try staning under a 214 holy sheep s***

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked a freind who does safety for transport she would love to hear which machines are doing this.we do have the right of way on the ground,I agree we should all try to co-exist but endangering peoples lives is not necissary.I too worked under helicopters and have been around them my whole life I know what rotor wash is like,205 is bad try staning under a 214 holy sheep s***

LOl yes the 214 is a fun one , there are a few that i worked side hill from that were even worse the 64 shortski was a bad one. Never worked under the sky-crane but heard they have to use a 250 line for that fact

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
Folks, Just remember, when the sheite hits the Fan, it's these Heli guys that drop everything and COME TO HELP YOU or your friends out.

I have never had problems with Sleds, I have respect for your rights and every sledder I've come across has respect for my rights.

I dropped everything last Saturday afternoon to rush to Boulder, never got home for 2 days, which were supposed to be my days off. No issue, I was helping others. Same call just came in tonight, but we were stood down before heading over to Eagle Pass.

The net result, be careful out there, get along, we all just want to get home to the family.

booster

Reaction score
big thanks to you, you guys are my heros having been around it my whole life i love flying as much as i do sledding.its is ignorant of us to brush all pilots, as the media has all sledders as maniacs, to say you guys are all trying to kill us.But like us there are a few who tarnish the reputation of the rest.

Again thank you very much for dropping everything last weekend i had a lot of friends out there, and we all lost two brothers.

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try standing under this bad boy. Massive bird, quite the sight coming in and taking off.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 299

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at the Avy at Turbo seconds after it slid down and I got to say when the choppers showed up it was quite a relief. We knew people were going to be taken away and get the medical attention they needed.If snowmobilers used choppers we wouldnt have a problem going to help anyone in need I hope they feel the same.

Top Bottom