So how about those heli-skiers?!

KingCatz

Reaction score
Do any of the operations here offer heli-sledding? I seen some show with people going out heli-sledding in Alaska on tv last year. Some pretty insane terrain there. One area the flats were so big you could tape your throttle wide open and you would run out of gas before you ever got near the end.

booster

Reaction score
Airborne had one over here to do heli rig moves, thing are friggen massive the tranny wieghs 8 TONS!!! hook capacity of something like 48000 lbs that would lift a few yammys

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
99 percent of the stories of helicopters buzzing sleds are complete bull. The pilots that charter to weiggle have no real interest in sleds unless they interfere with landing,takeoffs or refueling. these guys want to do their job and rackup incident free hours they do not jeprodise machines or passengers

malinowski3

Reaction score
never been under one i can only imagine. you know their are some really young sledders out their my first time in the mountains was when i was 10 im only 15 now and live in saskatchewan only get to go to the mountains a couple times a year. if i ever got caught under a copter it would ruin my trip

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess they are takin a few chances too. I guess the heli-ski operators can sleep at night because the 2 unfortunate souls signed a waiver.

In Wells Gray Park.
RIP
Probably as well as you'd sleep if someone that you were responsible for died under your watch:(.....condolences.

zonker892

Reaction score
here's the way i see it, chances are if you are being "buzzed", you are probably the one who is in the wrong, don't go blaming pilots and skiers. these heli skiing areas are just like the sledding areas-- designated and mapped. i ride the valemount- mcbride area alot-family lives there. many times i have seen tracks leading into the heli areas, into caribou areas and closed areas, sledders aren't as responsible as they all try to make themselves out to be, if they were wide sweeping closures wouldn't be happenning to our riding areas. alot of sledders have no friggin' idea where they are riding, they just follow the tracks ahead of them. know where you're riding, stay away and respect other users areas and there wouldn't be a problem. if you want to see how sledders treat and respect their areas, take a trip up into the alpine in the summer after the snow is all gone---- i've done it in mcbride, namely lucille, the garbage littered all over is disgusting. another is the vandalism to the cabins in clemina and allen. i'm not saying that all sledders are like this, but i'd bet my life that alot of the one's that frequent these forums and run their yaps off are guilty.
that's my rant and 2 cents!!!!!!!!!:nono:

Nicley said!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
99 percent of the stories of helicopters buzzing sleds are complete bull. The pilots that charter to weiggle have no real interest in sleds unless they interfere with landing,takeoffs or refueling. these guys want to do their job and rackup incident free hours they do not jeprodise machines or passengers

I would think you are corect,,,, I dont see theese guys risking their license,, In cold dry weather the chopper will wash and fluff snow when its 150ft in the air.... every heli and pilot have been good to me...

p.s. if they are searching for someone they may fly over you and do a circle waiting for a signal, if you did not call for the heli dont wave at them just stay put or point in the direction if you know where the call came from...

MANSON

Reaction score
If your in the clear and this happens , just signal something could fly out of your backpack into his blades . He will be out like DISCO.

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
In reallity allot of these skiers think what we do friggen cool and would love to try it.

That's the whole thing in a nutshell, most would love to try a great high powered sled in the Powder ! I know I would.

Re: These Heli-buzz jobs, Totally Illegal ! Unprofessional and Dangerous. Get the Registration and submit to Transport Canada, nothing may come of it, but I guarantee you, the Pilots life will be HELL for a few years explaining his actions.

p.s. if they are searching for someone they may fly over you and do a circle waiting for a signal, if you did not call for the heli dont wave at them just stay put or point in the direction if you know where the call came from...

JoHNI-T, Thanks for that, exactly, we get vague directions and locations, so if you see a circling Heli, and you know of a medical issue close by, just point us in the right direction, that's what you guys did for me on Saturday PM. Very Helpful.

Top Bottom