Compact Tractors

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im in need of something for my property to Clear snow, Move Trailers, run a power broom and snowblower, lift sleds onto decks etc.

Im looking at some low hour Deere 1023R machines..... they seem totally capable for snow removal etc but my only concern is i wouldnt be able to move snowmobiles and trailers around with the bucket as the load capacity is about bare minimum to complete those tasks. I suppose a guy could use the 3PT on the back to move the trailers so i guess the real question is would it lift a 165" snowmobile on pallet forks?

Anyone have any experience with these units?

a skidsteer is out as my driveway is asphalt and just dont want it marked up all the time.

Thanks

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im in need of something for my property to Clear snow, Move Trailers, run a power broom and snowblower, lift sleds onto decks etc.

Im looking at some low hour Deere 1023R machines..... they seem totally capable for snow removal etc but my only concern is i wouldnt be able to move snowmobiles and trailers around with the bucket as the load capacity is about bare minimum to complete those tasks. I suppose a guy could use the 3PT on the back to move the trailers so i guess the real question is would it lift a 165" snowmobile on pallet forks?

a skidsteer is out as my driveway is asphalt and just dont want it marked up all the time.

Thanks
I have a Kubota 3350 and it barely lifts a sled. Rated for 700lbs I think.
You can get poly scraper blades for skid steer buckets.
Snowblower attachment works great and if using a blower you have no piles to deal with.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 27 hp TYM, the tractor is really good, does more than I thought it would, but the lift capacity is not great, they have releifs on the hydraulics so you cant lift much. The 3pt hitch is nice for less expensive accessories.

The darn things (compact tractors) are getting friggen expensive. I have a 60 hp wheel loader for doing heavier stuff around the yard, but find multiple jobs for the compact tractor every weekend.

IMG_0336.jpg

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 1026R.
I can lift the back end of the sled. But the entire machine is heavy for the tractor. Maybe if i had weight in the back.

And it wont lift your deck. Too small.

When i move dirt with it a loaded bucket and a good bounce the rear tires come off the ground.

Also if you are using to push snow. Use a blade not the bucket.
Takes 3 to 4 passes to do what a snowblower does in one.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 2320 JD and it will just lift a sled or your deck with fluid in tires and sitting on machine .
I bought a 2520 this summer and it has better hydraulic power and bit heavier tractor .
Wouldn’t go anything less then 27 -30 Hp .
Snowblower on the 2320 works awesome and makes short work of snow .
Great with mid mount mower as well .
Everything works even better with 2520.
2720 would even be better .

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a tracked skid steer work okay?

probably but your still 40-60k to get into a decent used one with no accessories. These compact tractors you can get into them for 20-30 with low hours, with accessories.

also a tracked skid steer spending its entire life on asphalt im sure id be looking at track replacement more frequently than id like....

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a different brand 25HP tractor, it does everything okay and nothing good. If space isn’t an issue go bigger. After landscaping/building our house I got rid of it, certainly miss the front end loader, but my enclosed SxS with chains and snowblade moves snow way better. I tried lifting 600lb trees, loader hydraulics would do it fine but it would tip over unless I had some weight on the rear 3pt hitch. Can’t imagine trying a sled on uneven ground.

Go bigger on a tractor as others have mentioned. A cab is a nice feature too.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad has the kabobs version of that tractor.

his has the backhoe on the back so that is a decent counter weight but the tractors too small for my needs.

it could probably lift a sled but it doesn’t lift very high. Won’t get it on your truck. And with pallet forks it’s a long way out in front of you.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe look at a good used compact wheel loader Sean? With a quick attach you could do everything you want with it and have a bit more weight and lifting power.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks
How much are you looking to spend?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
probably but your still 40-60k to get into a decent used one with no accessories. These compact tractors you can get into them for 20-30 with low hours, with accessories.

also a tracked skid steer spending its entire life on asphalt im sure id be looking at track replacement more frequently than id like....
Tracked skid steers are terrible in the snow, I had cat 289 and it would barely get around without a load. Took 300 carbide studs in each track to make it usable and even then it was touch and go. Winter specific tracks were better but at $5k a pair I went back to a machine with tires and chains.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks
Get a bigger one

I just bought a used 2018 2038r

Even the lift capacity bucket is not as much as I would have liked , as a 35 hp kioti was 500 lb more

It would lift a sled , I have pallet forks , just need extenders
1635002566107.jpg
received_1319426328500341.jpg

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless there is a specific need to go with a tractor, a skid steer is a million times more useable, and even with prices being crazy a good small one can be had for under $30k. If it's driven carefully you won't get much if any marks on asphalt. I clean my concrete driveway with my CTL in the winter, I just put wood on the cutting edge, no marks at all and the tracks don't leave any marks.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plow snow with a quad....seriously it's 10x faster than a tractor. I have a Massey GC2300 SCUT. Great unit. I used to use it for snow removal with bucket, garden tilling with a 48" PTO tiller, and grass cutting with 60" deck. Now I use the bucket for hauling potatoes from the garden to the garage and I use the PTO to turn a tiller 2x a year. A decent mower and a quad with a blade have pretty much displaced the ol diesel tractor.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sketchy loading a sled with compact tractor, we have done it quite a few times with bigger deeres and sometimes it’s not all about the lifting power, it’s about balance. the width of the forks under a 165 is not ideal . We have tried pallets ,plywood etc . Loading ramp works okay if it is a sturdy one. The other thing is lift height , as you lift higher the loader comes further back over the hood giving you less horizontal reach putting the grill guard on the tractor dangerously close to the side of your expensive pickup.

t300

Reaction score
Need bigger. My JD 2305 has about same balls as 1023e. With fluid tires and 500lbs ballast in back, I could barely lift my skidoo alpine onto a sled trailer, and the tractor rear end was pretty light. Wouldn’t have gone any higher. Even if it could lift it high enough for you, that frame and weight of tractor not nearly stable enough to lift it higher than a sled trailer

Top Bottom