Snow Conditions

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of some of the hills I am referring to. Was there a couple weekends ago. Kids were tobogganing..... the trails went on for more miles than I could possibly explore. Other than the mountains I could see off in the distance there is literally zero chance of avalanche. I am perfectly fine staying to places like this. I'll always make it back...... trust me.

View attachment 184863

Looks like you'll be ok out there:beer:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well make sure you equip your kids then.... I'll just continue to exercise common sense and caution... It's a wonder I've survived this long being so "risky"..... I don't wear a helmet on my bicycle either.
Either do I on my bike

Guess I'm just as risky as u are

And yes my kids wear avy gear, as my toboggan hill is on a skidoo riding area, and can and does slide as it is in avalanche country

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well make sure you equip your kids then.... I'll just continue to exercise common sense and caution... It's a wonder I've survived this long being so "risky"..... I don't wear a helmet on my bicycle either.

Please chill man.........

You've come on here with attitude and started throwing around comments from post 1, and clearly have little to no information on the subject and have never ridden in the mountains by your own admission. That's fine. So people are trying to keep you safe... sorry I guess? bit of a chip on your shoulder about the comments when you need to understand that it wasn't probably 3 weeks ago when someone came on here threatening to knock peoples teeth out for similar comments.....Many people try to skirt the issue by convincing themselves that they are only playing on little stuff so no need for a beacon or whatever, and that's how they justify it even though they may be riding in avy terrain but just stayin on the "low angle" stuff, and not evaluating the overhead hazards because they think they are far enuf away. You don't have to convince people here, its only yourself that you have to make the judgement call for.

Are you revolutionary in your thinking that Cataract and other places are safe? No. Some of these dudes are talking from experience. One day you may take a little trail ride and venture a little farther west at Cataract, thinking that where you're at is harmless, and perhaps you come across someone buried on a slope up top that always slides, or maybe someone comes screaming down the trail to your group and says his buddy is buried up top and he needs your help... https://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat/89867-rev-800-survives-avalanche-cataract.html , or maybe you just drop down into a little draw that you think is safe to turn around in....https://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat/96795-guard-slopes-surprise.html. Both these linked instances demonstrate the necessity for avy gear when folks think they are "safe". We get it that you are trying to keep the cost down but for every possible scenario, there may be a couple other outcomes.

Is avy gear required for that bunny hill you've posted pics? Only you can decide that and sounds like you are comfortable with your risk level, I possibly wouldn't wear my avy gear if I was in a flat field and had evaluated the risk there. Lots of folks use their gear instead of their brain and don't (or can't) properly evaluate the risk, they just feel safer with it. Yes there are "safe" areas, and yes there are overzealous or super-overzealous people on this forum who will tell you to jump off a cliff, sell your sled etc, and apparently you let them get under your skin....I'm sure all of them wear a life jacket when they are sitting on the beach or turn off their cell phones when driving too.......and yes its the internet so you'll get all kinds.

Just some things to think about.

Reaction score
Either do I on my bike

Guess I'm just as risky as u are

And yes my kids wear avy gear, as my toboggan hill is on a skidoo riding area, and can and does slide as it is in avalanche country

Then it makes sense for them to wear it....... people just need to realize not everyone goes to avalanche areas..... If I ever go in the mountains I will buy some.... but since my wife will never go, I probably won't either.

Reaction score

You've come on here with attitude and started throwing around comments from post 1, and clearly have little to no information on the subject and have never ridden in the mountains by your own admission. That's fine. So people are trying to keep you safe... sorry I guess? bit of a chip on your shoulder about the comments when you need to understand that it wasn't probably 3 weeks ago when someone came on here threatening to knock peoples teeth out for similar comments.....Many people try to skirt the issue by convincing themselves that they are only playing on little stuff so no need for a beacon or whatever, and that's how they justify it even though they may be riding in avy terrain but just stayin on the "low angle" stuff, and not evaluating the overhead hazards because they think they are far enuf away. You don't have to convince people here, its only yourself that you have to make the judgement call for.

Are you revolutionary in your thinking that Cataract and other places are safe? No. Some of these dudes are talking from experience. One day you may take a little trail ride and venture a little farther west at Cataract, thinking that where you're at is harmless, and perhaps you come across someone buried on a slope up top that always slides, or maybe someone comes screaming down the trail to your group and says his buddy is buried up top and he needs your help... https://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat/89867-rev-800-survives-avalanche-cataract.html , or maybe you just drop down into a little draw that you think is safe to turn around in....https://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat/96795-guard-slopes-surprise.html. Both these linked instances demonstrate the necessity for avy gear when folks think they are "safe". We get it that you are trying to keep the cost down but for every possible scenario, there may be a couple other outcomes.

Is avy gear required for that bunny hill you've posted pics? Only you can decide that and sounds like you are comfortable with your risk level, I possibly wouldn't wear my avy gear if I was in a flat field and had evaluated the risk there. Lots of folks use their gear instead of their brain and don't (or can't) properly evaluate the risk, they just feel safer with it. Yes there are "safe" areas, and yes there are overzealous or super-overzealous people on this forum who will tell you to jump off a cliff, sell your sled etc, and apparently you let them get under your skin....I'm sure all of them wear a life jacket when they are sitting on the beach or turn off their cell phones when driving too.......and yes its the internet so you'll get all kinds.

You are imagining any attitude you think I have.... you are correct I have never ridden in the mountains, nor do I plan to... which makes every comment directed at me about avalanche wear a waste of breath.... Any more "chill" and I'd be in a coma. I appreciate that people may be concerned for my safety (or theirs)..... acknowledged and appreciated.... however it is not warranted. I am so far on this side of cautious that I just wouldn't risk even the slightest chance of it happening to me. I stay clear of those type of areas ..... I have a 12 year old that rides.... his older sister is 20 and been on a sled only this year..... My wife is "tame" and we call her sled the "old lady sled"... we simply don't need the gear for where we go. If that changes down the road.... then I'd happily ask for advise on what to get etc... but I haven't asked that, I'm a grown adult who has done just fine in life making my own safety decisions.... I just wish people would move on already. My friend owns a farm near Okotoks..... I do not need avalanche gear to ride there, or in the ditches on the 22x....

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You are imagining any attitude you think I have.... you are correct I have never ridden in the mountains, nor do I plan to... which makes every comment directed at me about avalanche wear a waste of breath.... Any more "chill" and I'd be in a coma. I appreciate that people may be concerned for my safety (or theirs)..... acknowledged and appreciated.... however it is not warranted. I am so far on this side of cautious that I just wouldn't risk even the slightest chance of it happening to me. I stay clear of those type of areas ..... I have a 12 year old that rides.... his older sister is 20 and been on a sled only this year..... My wife is "tame" and we call her sled the "old lady sled"... we simply don't need the gear for where we go. If that changes down the road.... then I'd happily ask for advise on what to get etc... but I haven't asked that, I'm a grown adult who has done just fine in life making my own safety decisions.... I just wish people would move on already. My friend owns a farm near Okotoks..... I do not need avalanche gear to ride there, or in the ditches on the 22x....

Modman is a steady dude, very knowledgable, writes with higher education evident, and writes well. A lot of thought and process goes into Modman's posts. Attitude from you?????????

A simple thank you to Modman and I will think about what people are trying to tell me would have been a great response. Good luck with your introduction to this forum.

jockdoc

Reaction score
Here it is:

If you are a flatlander (no offence implied nor intended) and ride the prairies, there is little reason to have the beacon, probe, and shovel. If you are riding along side of the mountains (Cataract Creek area), do you have confidence/education towards your decision making to always be out of harms way?

It is a touchy subject but the dudes on this forum pretty much insist on the proper equipment when one rides in or near to the mountains. I did use the search engine (without luck) to try to find a thread on an avalanche near the Banff Springs hotel that involved a tobogganing party. A father/son incident that ended tragically.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That post right there just killed any chance of you receiving a drop of the great wealth of knowledge that can be had from this site. A few of the more knowledgeable members have posted in this thread, and instead of soaking in what they have said, you've basically told them to piss off.

One suggestion I have for joining a new forum next time, wait a week before posting, Shut up and read instead of shooting your mouth off. Public forums really aren't that complicated to navigate(this being one of the better ones) reason being... They are made for the general public, and due to the growing lack of intelligence these days you can't make it that complex cause member numbers would go down.

Best of luck.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The moment you start thinking it wont happen to you is when crap goes south. Ease up on the hostility and have an open mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR-GH9_hS98
Now there is a video that should be shown when promoting Avy safety, I can't believe they didn't even have shovels with them. Pretty lucky him and the sled made it out together in one piece.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i remember the cataract thread from last year. The video has been removed, do you remember where the slide was at? I believe it was on the way over fording pass correct?

Now that I'm somewhat familiar with the area I'm curious.

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score

Well I'm not going to comment on anything here other then if you would like to go play in the hills.....which if you live in Alberta is a must. I will give you a free beacon that works perfect, it's not top of the line but does its job. Just stop in Alberta Cycle and ask for me. Thx Mike.

Reaction score
Well I'm not going to comment on anything here other then if you would like to go play in the hills.....which if you live in Alberta is a must. I will give you a free beacon that works perfect, it's not top of the line but does its job. Just stop in Alberta Cycle and ask for me. Thx Mike.

That's a very generous and thoughtful offer, for which I must politely decline.

Reaction score
If you are a flatlander (no offence implied nor intended) and ride the prairies, there is little reason to have the beacon, probe, and shovel. If you are riding along side of the mountains (Cataract Creek area), do you have confidence/education towards your decision making to always be out of harms way?

It is a touchy subject but the dudes on this forum pretty much insist on the proper equipment when one rides in or near to the mountains. I did use the search engine (without luck) to try to find a thread on an avalanche near the Banff Springs hotel that involved a tobogganing party. A father/son incident that ended tragically.

Zero offence taken.... I have ridden skidoos off and on since I was 12 or so.... and I've never been near a mountain on a snowmobile...(save for CC) 80% of Alberta is perfectly flat and I am content there (for now). All I am asking is that people use some pragmatism when talking about this. I am familiar with the father/son incident you are referring to. My wife and I have been to CC hmmm maybe 6 times and never been anywhere near avalanche territory... in fact looking at a map I don't think we've even left the "Baril Loop" area..... (just now learning the name).

Your first sentence hits the nail on the head... why others can't accept that is baffling really.

Reaction score
I'll concede that avalanche gear is an absolute *MUST* if traversing mountain passes/areas, if everyone else will concede that just because you live in Alberta means you *MUST* go to the 20% of the province comprised of mountains. We are a prairie province, there are more places to snowmobile away from mountains, than there are in the mountains ...

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll concede that avalanche gear is an absolute *MUST* if traversing mountain passes/areas, if everyone else will concede that just because you live in Alberta means you *MUST* go to the 20% of the province comprised of mountains. We are a prairie province, there are more places to snowmobile away from mountains, than there are in the mountains ...

Typically, much more snow in the hills is all..

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That's a very generous and thoughtful offer, for which I must politely decline.

Zero offence taken.... I have ridden skidoos off and on since I was 12 or so.... and I've never been near a mountain on a snowmobile...(save for CC) 80% of Alberta is perfectly flat and I am content there (for now). All I am asking is that people use some pragmatism when talking about this. I am familiar with the father/son incident you are referring to. My wife and I have been to CC hmmm maybe 6 times and never been anywhere near avalanche territory... in fact looking at a map I don't think we've even left the "Baril Loop" area..... (just now learning the name).

Your first sentence hits the nail on the head... why others can't accept that is baffling really.

It appears that you are settling in. Good choice of words and no hint of attitude IMO.

Reaction score
So since this is a "Snow Conditions" thread.... does anyone have any current information regarding Etherington Creek area? The weather in Calgary is so warm I can't imagine there being snow 90 minutes away... but I am constantly surprised. I'd really love to get one more day-trip in before I pack up the sleds...... If anyone was out there this weekend, how was it?

Top Bottom