Snow Conditions

Brady1984

Reaction score
Anyone know the snow conditions down at Etherington or Cataract Creek? Also, wondering about how the riding is in Invermere? Good trail riding around there?

Reaction score
I just signed up to this site in order to access the forums and see if I could find out the current snow conditions for Cataract Creek. My initial search of the forums turns up this thread. Tell me, are answers like this typical for this site? If so please remove my account.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a section and thread dedicated to that area. Go back to the main page, scroll down and click.

Reaction score
Obviously if I saw such a page I would have utilized it...... maybe it's not as "obvious" as you might think. It's pretty hard to look for something you don't even know exists, and to have assholish responses just kills a community.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just signed up to this site in order to access the forums and see if I could find out the current snow conditions for Cataract Creek. My initial search of the forums turns up this thread. Tell me, are answers like this typical for this site? If so please remove my account.

Some people have no patience for helping new people to the site. This should get you the info your looking for until you are familiar with the site.
https://www.snowandmud.com/s-w-alberta/92750-cataract-creek-snowmobile-thread-2014-15-a-34.html

Reaction score
If this tiny little reference that does not even mention Cataract Creek by name is what you are referring to..... it's very easy to miss.
Capture.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks CatMan.... that's much appreciated and helpful..... With the attitude of "some people", it's a wonder anyone sticks around.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There's a section and thread dedicated to that area. Go back to the main page, scroll down and click.

do you need someone to hold your hand to find the conditions page......

Obviously if I saw such a page I would have utilized it...... maybe it's not as "obvious" as you might think. It's pretty hard to look for something you don't even know exists, and to have assholish responses just kills a community.

For the third post you seem a little bitter already! Lighten up and enjoy, it really is a great place!

There can be a tough crowd on these pages but I understand. The same thing happens time and time again. Instead of floating around the various sections, or taking the time to read some of the available information it seems the Newbies (zero posts) or Starters (1-199 posts) want a lot of information handed out on a silver platter. One of the best parts of this forum is the search engine (upper right hand corner).

I will lead you to some information this time. Remember, there are 34 pages of information in the thread below. Not all information concerning Cataract is included but a good portion of it is. As for Invermere, where do you think that would be listed under in the Western Canadian Riding threads?

https://www.snowandmud.com/s-w-alberta/92750-cataract-creek-snowmobile-thread-2014-15-a-34.html

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
For the third post you seem a little bitter already! Lighten up and enjoy, it really is a great place!

There can be a tough crowd on these pages but I understand. The same thing happens time and time again. Instead of floating around the various sections, or taking the time to read some of the available information it seems the Newbies (zero posts) or Starters (1-199 posts) want a lot of information handed out on a silver platter. One of the best parts of this forum is the search engine (upper right hand corner).

I will lead you to some information this time. Remember, there are 34 pages of information in the thread below. Not all information concerning Cataract is included but a good portion of it is. As for Invermere, where do you think that would be listed under in the Western Canadian Riding threads?

Your kidding right Doug????? the search engine SUCKS, I get the frustration. Once you learn the layout of the site it's easy to get around and find things but if you rely on the search function your hooped....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Your kidding right Doug????? the search engine SUCKS, I get the frustration. Once you learn the layout of the site it's easy to get around and find things but if you rely on the search function your hooped....

Bog's, I was serious. Typed in Cataract Creek and the following is what came up.........I guess it is just a matter of opinion. How many "can" threads have there been and how many times are those people told to use the Search Engine?

Reaction score
Sorry you feel that way. By all means do not respond if you feel I am bitter. The entire purpose of this forum for me (and others obviously) is to find out snow conditions..... period. I don't want to spend time looking at a million other things that have no interest to me or no relevance.... The search function was the VERY FIRST feature I used and it lead me to the same question I wanted to find the answer to, only there was just a dickhead type response. If you don't want people to come to a forum to ask questions.... you are missing the point of a forum.

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Most of us use this forum for much more than conditions checks.... many of these folks have become close friends, riding buddies and excellent tour guides for new riding areas. Some are dicks, Some can be dicks at times, many are dicks on purpose, but in the end none of this matters because it is not real, it's just a broken site on the internet....

Until we all get together in some little BC town to spend the days riding and the evenings drinking them dry....

Cheers & Welcome

Sorry you feel that way. By all means do not respond if you feel I am bitter. The entire purpose of this forum for me (and others obviously) is to find out snow conditions..... period. I don't want to spend time looking at a million other things that have no interest to me or no relevance.... The search function was the VERY FIRST feature I used and it lead me to the same question I wanted to find the answer to, only there was just a dickhead type response. If you don't want people to come to a forum to ask questions.... you are missing the point of a forum.

Reaction score
Most of us use this forum for much more than conditions checks.... many of these folks have become close friends, riding buddies and excellent tour guides for new riding areas. Some are dicks, Some can be dicks at times, many are dicks on purpose, but in the end none of this matters because it is not real, it's just a broken site on the internet....

Until we all get together in some little BC town to spend the days riding and the evenings drinking them dry....

Cheers & Welcome

Understood.... but that can't be expected from someone who has signed up 10 minutes ago. I have what ... 7 posts compared to 56,000... I've never done any sledding in BC and would *love to*. Are there places you go, that do not require any avalanche gear? I like hills.... but am trying to avoid the added expense of avalanche gear for now, when there are a million places I can explore without it to get started.

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
You will get flamed for even suggesting riding anywhere west of Saskatchewan without the minimum avy gear.... that said many who have it wouldn't know WTF to do with it if they needed to use it.

I'm not familiar with the southern areas, Doug (fernisnow) is a guru down there and would be able to advise where and when is best to ride. Keep an eye out on kijiji for used gear all you really need is the shovel/probe/beacon which can be had used for under $200 if you look around, then it's just a mater of training and practice but it all comes in time. Lots of places in the sled towns rent gear as well $35/day for the package usually. unfortunately this year is a chit snow year west of Moncton NB......

Understood.... but that can't be expected from someone who has signed up 10 minutes ago. I have what ... 7 posts compared to 56,000... I've never done any sledding in BC and would *love to*. Are there places you go, that do not require any avalanche gear? I like hills.... but am trying to avoid the added expense of avalanche gear for now, when there are a million places I can explore without it to get started.

Top Bottom