sledder missing in Revy - FOUND Dec 10 - RIP Travis

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On facebook they are crediting the rcmp and sar for finding travis.Didn't they quite the search and fellow sledders found him?and why did it take so long to start the search,just wondering.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On facebook they are crediting the rcmp and sar for finding travis.Didn't they quite the search and fellow sledders found him?and why did it take so long to start the search,just wondering.
That's bunch of crap

They point blank gave up, and we didn't

He was to be home Monday and never showed up, went missing Saturday

That's why the time space

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were in Revy when the search was on, one of the sars guys was telling us that someone had reported seeing him at the cabin and he told them that he was heading down. Did they find him between the cabin and the parking lot, or out in the play areas away from the cabin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Things get out of hand on the internet.

I am sure someone locally was involved, knew the troubled spots, Kept a lookout, found a light dimple in the snow, and followed some sort of track to a spot and discovered his body.

It would be interesting to read the followup of how he was actually discovered. I went on Google earth and scoped out some areas beside the cabin at around a Km away... There are some nasty spots that are a couple hundred meters away from the trail, in the cutblock sections. Super drops and HUGE drainages...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He was between the upper side of the vediman and towards shady lane

So that's from the cabin, across the lake and to the left, leaving the deck side if the cabin

Not the way out, 180 degrees to riding out

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad to here this for the Brown family.. My condolences

I somewhat wonder how the outcome would of been with sledders involved in its initial search..

with reports of Travis less than 100 feet from cabin, this outcome seams puzzeling from what I read and heard from others.. I hope this is reviewed by s&r and appropriate changes taken in future searches using all sources needed..

if anyone is to ride a sled by them selves this would be the area they would ride, very close to cabin with many sleds in the area of problems arise..

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I thought I read in the beginning of this thread that S&R came from Vernon. Is that correct? Does Revelstoke have a chapter of S&R? It would make sense that local people would know the mountain and speed up the rescue.

In the eastern Kootenays, there is S&R in Elkford, Sparwood, Fernie, Jaffray, Cranbrook, and Kimberly. All within 35-50 km of each other as one goes down the highway. No disrespect, just asking a question.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I read in the beginning of this thread that S&R came from Vernon. Is that correct? Does Revelstoke have a chapter of S&R? It would make sense that local people would know the mountain and speed up the rescue.

In the eastern Kootenays, there is S&R in Elkford, Sparwood, Fernie, Jaffray, Cranbrook, and Kimberly. All within 35-50 km of each other as one goes down the highway. No disrespect, just asking a question.
No there's a revy search and rescue

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I ever get in trouble out there I am very happy to know that SAR has my back if needed. Not to take anything away from the locals who know the back country that they frequent so often. I would want them on my side as well.

I have never know a mechanic to fix all with a crescent wrench. He has many tools at his grasp and if it was me out there stranded I would want them to use any means possible to find me or my family if it were them.
To blame one or two parties in this endeavour is ridiculous. Just like any scenario there is a selection method. I dare any na sayers to step up and become leaders of such a feat and see what it is like.

Easy to point blame after the fact but ultimately none of us have any say in the outcome.

Many thanks to ALL those that helped in the rescue efforts... My helmet goes off to you all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
This is a thread to wish condolences to Travis, and to thank those who spent there time and efforts to find him. Both SAR members who are volunteers and all the sledders who assisted with this rescue.
Some posts were recently removed as this this is the wrong place and time to discuss faults or the logistics of SAR. They are people just like you and me, they have families and jobs. They have special training for these type of scenarios. Please respect them.

This site was developed in 2006 to help sledders and quadders get together and find info and riding partners, even if it's for 1 ride, please use this valuable resource its been here and will be.

RIP Travis, not sure if you were a member here on this site, wish you were.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I have one question..... The police reported Travis was wearing a beacon, and that it was on when he was found. I thought it was said the helicopters had a recco sensor and a beacon locator? I thought I read on fb, that it had a range of almost 1/2 km or more?

RIP, Travis....

Remember, don't ride alone...

Muster point at larger areas might be good idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen the visibility so bad that you hardly see the end of your sled, and with no speed your stuck. RIP Travis.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Local radio stations are also super supportive I've found in getting the word out. I go on once a week and help spread safety information out to people I may not see face to face. By reaching even friends and family of riders they are aware and can impart wisdom to the riders in their life.

This is such a tragic circumstance, but I truly believe that from Travis's death many lives will be saved. This site is a great way to keep people all on the same page, even if we disagree from time to time about trivial stuff.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just returned from two days in Revy. RCMP and SAR may not be in a position to defend them self’s out of respect for Travis and his family as this very well may not have been a snowmobiling accident. I will say this in their defence they spared no effort or expense and executed the best rescue plan given the circumstances. I am comforted that there are so many awesome people that put their heart and soul in to finding Travis. I suspect that Travis family feel the same way.
This is a thread to wish condolences to Travis, and to thank those who spent there time and efforts to find him. Both SAR members who are volunteers and all the sledders who assisted with this rescue.
Some posts were recently removed as this this is the wrong place and time to discuss faults or the logistics of SAR. They are people just like you and me, they have families and jobs. They have special training for these type of scenarios. Please respect them.

This site was developed in 2006 to help sledders and quadders get together and find info and riding partners, even if it's for 1 ride, please use this valuable resource its been here and will be.

RIP Travis, not sure if you were a member here on this site, wish you were.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyer

Reaction score
I respect your point 007sevens. I did it purposely because I sense that some people feel a need to do something positive to memorialize a tragedy like this. If I'm wrong, the thread will revert to condolences only. I welcome the moderator is welcome to move my first post to a new thread if it's deemed best.

If I'm on to something, when those of us who grieve this tragedy see the signs, Travis will be remembered. If his family hears of the effort, they may regard it as a memorial. I'm past the sadness, past the anger, and now I want to help reduce the chances of it happening again. I'm sorry if I'm getting too far ahead of others in this process.

Poor Travis tried to interact with others on the hill, and like most of us, I think he may have hoped for acceptance but was afraid to impose. The only thing more that he could have done is to wear a sign "mentors and teachers welcome". I'm not blaming anyone who met him or saw him that day. This happens all the time amongst humans. I just hope this community as a group will consider other ways to facilitate helping others into the sport safely. I've seen the great intentions demonstrated here, and I've witnessed those in the group who are good at leading, and taking action. I've been assisted and counselled by a few, and I'm very thankful. I hope to pay it forward. Maybe I'll be able to identify someone in a parking lot and reach out. Maybe I'll find that person at a muster area identified for both newbies and experienced but lone riders.

I see many threads asking to join a group, not so many inviting new members to a group. There are great intentions, but there aren't a lot of plans for meeting up on the public side of these pages. Hopefully on the PM side it happens more than we know.

Thanks to the Calgary Snowmobile Club, two of my friends, both on their first trip to the mountains, are at Quartz today riding my machines and being mentored and kept safe. Hats off to those volunteers that organize and lead the club trips. I benefited last year and met some great folks. Highly recommended.

I don't have a high post count, I'm not well known here, so I won't push this any harder. Thanks for the forum and the opportunity to share ideas.

Top Bottom