Sled Trailer rebuild

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To all,

I'm just finishing off rebuilding my double wide sled trailer ( tires , bearings new ramps, etc) when I ran in to the following issue's. First issue was when I purchased a new tire to match my unused spare, tire size was 5.30 X 12 load range C there was a big difference in tire height and width from new to old same size. Anyone knows when they changed the size's ?. 2nd issue was with bearing kits that come complete with dust seals, the bearings were the correct for 1 1/16" spindles but the seals were too small, Princess Auto said that axle sizes have changed and that they are supplying thier kits with the smaller seals. Should have my trailer ready for this weekend and might try The Whitecourt area, anyone know the conditions out there?.

Regards,
Switch
2004 Polaris 700 Switchback
1998 Polaris 440 LC Indy ( The Bosses)

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Switch

Good luck with the bearings and seals. Don't seat your bearings too tight ( less tension than an automotive bearing) especially on smaller rims. When a trailer with smaller rims is going down the highway at 120 kph those wheels are rotating a lot faster than your average vehicle rim. The heat build up is more and the bearing expands and ends up tighter against the outer race. This ends up wearing your outter race and causing possible bearing failure immediately. Also the hot bearings pull in a lot more moisture when they cool down ( when you park in the snow bank at a staging area ). This also applies to boat trailers and backing into the water as soon as you pull off the highway. Spending abit more money on good lip ( dust seals ) is worth it in the long run. If your bearings are too loose - you get grease flying out and ending up on your inner tire rim ( very messy) . I have learned all of this crap the hard way. Switch --- your ahead of the pack - most people don't even know there is bearings in their trailiers until they see there wheel fall off. I will try to sled with you in Whitecourt when I get my sled together.

Zer:cool::D

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zar,
We will have to get brother Frunchie to get his sleds and trailer ready and do some local sledding at the X-mas break.
Thanks for the bearing info.
Switch

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you haven't figured your seals out yet: Canadian tire has a nice little selection of different size seals and bearings in the trailer area. Other wise read the numbers off and go to napa or comercial solutions (comercial bearing).

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have ya tried the "bearing buddy" set up? I've been meaning to put a set on the trailer but have not got around to it. I hear they work great.

Top Bottom