Sled loosing power and not sounding right - any suggestions?

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a 2001 800 motor.
Was working great 2 weekends ago then i busted the choke switch, replaced it this weekend and went out.
While riding the first 10 - 15 min the machine was pulling great, like normal. Then all of a sudden it just lost power.
It would rev fine but the minute there was load on it it would bog down.

I was able to drive it out of the valley and then loaded it on the truck.
The next day I checked the choke and looks fine, no tension on it.
Took it for a spin around the yard and same thing. Bogging down.

I replaced the spark plugs also.

From searching the forums here is what I found to look for any other suggestions?

Choke cable
Leaks from carbs
Clean carbs
Vent lines
Fuel lines
stator
plug wires

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you looked inside or compression checked it?

Haven t done that yet. Going to pick up a compression tester today.

Also i forgot to mention that my new plugs are pretty dirty especially one of them.

Oh yeah i'm running premix now too :D

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
You may also want to check your belt and clutches. They can doo the same thing. :beer:

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had this on my old 670. it ended up being the cdi box. It would warm up and start shorting out causing the bogging. The 2001 models was the MPEM if I am correct.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You said your plugs were dirty. That more than likely mean your motors been sucking in dirt causing wear on your pistons, and probably connecting rods. I would listen to the guys saying check compression rather than guys saying spark or clutches.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as per the suggestions I picked up a compression tester and wasn't entirely sure on one thing with it. Do you just keep trying to turn it over until it maxes out?

i pulled on the cord 5x and each cylinder was identical so at 125psi.
I then cleaned the carbs and replaced a broken gasket, but i think it got broke when i pulled it apart.

as for the boots and cracks everything looks good.

the brp shop here in town suggest that its the Primary Clutch and to bring it in for a rebuild.

is there a way to test the clutch?

any other suggestions?

tx

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own yamaha sleds and we have a enricher knob that can stick if the cable is not kept clean. I'm not sure how a doo works but if the sled is having a problem after it got broken thats what I would check first because if the plugs are in bad shape it sounds like the choke is stayng on part of the way. U could have a bad cable or something is stickingin the carb.
good luck

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Barry for the suggestions
I did clean the carbs and when i pulled them out and inspected them they where in great shape. The floats where spotless.
As for the choke staying on, that is the one thing i didn't take apart on the carbs and a good place to start tomorrow.

any other suggestions on what to look at?

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had this on my old 79 440 Everest. There was a loss of power and it kept bogging out, turned out that I blew my clutch-side piston. Would go up to 4500rpm then just quit, go down and would do the same thing over and over. That was a long 2 mile walk back to the farm.:d

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had this on my old 79 440 Everest. There was a loss of power and it kept bogging out, turned out that I blew my clutch-side piston. Would go up to 4500rpm then just quit, go down and would do the same thing over and over. That was a long 2 mile walk back to the farm.:d

I'm hoping its not a piston :)
The compression is good (i think) at least equal on both sides.

Top Bottom