Sled License plates? Why?

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey .... How are you S&M'ers doin? I have'nt been on here in about a year?

Anyhow....thought I'd throw this out there... after reading a post on here about what to do with your plate, as far as mounting it on you sled etc., I was wondering why Alberta/BC/Sask. don't allow a "Decal" to be applied to the hood just like they do south of the boarder?? Or like on our watercraft? Why a stupid, ugly plate?

The decal option is the only way to go. I have made some really cool color matching vinyl decals for the watercraft market, Why not the sled market? Oh yah... we have have the ugly aluminum plate :confused:

:twocents:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hate the numbers just as much..............but if you could color match it would be ok i guess like black and red on last years dragon for example or yellow and black on the hcr

How is it known if you paid for the current years plates if you just have number stickers? there would have to be another type of stick that showed they are up to date like a trail permit sticker

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Scotty good to have you back. Now your ?????? The ASA has been wondering the same thing for 15 yrs now. We the ASA have been trying to go the way of other provinces with a decal system of numbers color coded to your sled so that it will be used. Well after years of meetings and recommendations we have the same old tin plate on our sleds. Ride where you are not allowed to go and our provincial gov has so much money for enforcement but commonsense issues they seem to drag their government feet in meetings,studies, focus groups etc. To get them to change is a very slow process. That decal system will help you but dont see it changing soon.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never put my official plate on, (decal) in BC. Have only ever had custom decals and have never had any problems.

scrapmaster

Reaction score
so far i just keep my plate in my seat, havnt had a problem yet was asked to produce it once but they didnt seem to have a problem with me keeping it in there

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so far i just keep my plate in my seat, havnt had a problem yet was asked to produce it once but they didnt seem to have a problem with me keeping it in there

Yeah i do the same thing, i just keep it in my seat as well. Went past the cops a few times last year and they didnt even bother with me. Dont really wanna attach an ugly plate to my sled anyways

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a $10 one time decal in BC (2 actually - 1 for each side). Just as ugly as a plate though! I hear through the grapevine that changes are in the works .....annual renewal and wayyyy more cost! :mad:

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledding003.jpg

Hey, not all the plates are ugly. Now I have to get one for the Kitty Cat.

spike7ss

Reaction score
They have plates because they are considered an off highway vehicle like a quad in alberta. i dont mind the plate, its the newest thing on my sled ahahah

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotty good to have you back. Now your ?????? The ASA has been wondering the same thing for 15 yrs now. We the ASA have been trying to go the way of other provinces with a decal system of numbers color coded to your sled so that it will be used. Well after years of meetings and recommendations we have the same old tin plate on our sleds. Ride where you are not allowed to go and our provincial gov has so much money for enforcement but commonsense issues they seem to drag their government feet in meetings,studies, focus groups etc. To get them to change is a very slow process. That decal system will help you but dont see it changing soon.

Hey Glen..... I here yah .... can't believe that after 15 years the stunned peeps in gov't have not adressed this after all your (and others) efforts to get some change on this? Change for the good! Both a savings for the gov't (making plates that nobody mounts to their sleds??, V.S. Decals that most ridders will put on their sleds and can actually be seen by enforment people?)Can it really be that difficult??? Unreal.

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just carry mine in my backpack, never had an issue even when asked to produce paperwork, any cop ive ever talked to hasnt given a damn whether its out in sight or in my backpack, besides plates look ugly on custom sleds :)

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all my old wedge sleds had the plate mounted above left foot,holes even matched then plate,no drilling. not sure where to put on the new Vertical Escape. maybe the flap?

apex69

Reaction score
mount to the clutch cover with 2 rivets on one side the other will still lift a little slip paper work under the plate works good

Top Bottom