Sled decks

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one uses truck boss? See lots here in stoon, they have a seal that seals your bed, can also get a sliding bed drawer.

I have the Marathon Truck Boss, Really happy with it, great quality / fit. No plywood on it at all, just aluminum and Superglides. It's heavier than the other brands out there, I think. It seals the box off nicely, the only snow I get in my box is a little bit at the bottom where the tailgate meets the box. I will say that it is a PIA the take off and put on by yourself ( thats the only negative thing I have to say about it). And it's quite spendy too, If my boss hadn't got it for me as a bonus, I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on my on dime :) :beer:

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Marathon Truck Boss, Really happy with it, great quality / fit. No plywood on it at all, just aluminum and Superglides. It's heavier than the other brands out there, I think. It seals the box off nicely, the only snow I get in my box is a little bit at the bottom where the tailgate meets the box. I will say that it is a PIA the take off and put on by yourself ( thats the only negative thing I have to say about it). And it's quite spendy too, If my boss hadn't got it for me as a bonus, I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on my on dime :) :beer:
I was thinking about the TRUCK BOSS until i was told that it was time consuming to remove. I need access to my fifth wheel rails! I built a pull out tool box by placing 2" ABS pipe ( 3 pieces) between the feet of the deck running parrell with the truck and a plywood box with puck board on bottom. The rails my ramps hang on prevent it from tipping out. I just need some sort of 1/4" thick black rubber or something that would seal the sides.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last deck was a Marathon - great deck, very well built. Currently have an STF that I seldom use, except for spring. In the past have had an Aluma-Tech & Sky-Hi, both cracked at pretty much every weld - not the best quality.
Make sure you know the payload capacity of your truck before buying a deck - most newer 3/4 ton diesels cannot legally carry two sleds on a deck, and no 1/2 tons can legally carry two. It would suck to have to unload a sled on the side of the highway... seen it in the past. My truck is a 1 ton diesel 4x4, and with two on the deck, 5 passengers, fuel and enclosed trailer in tow - I am legal by only 46 kg...
If all is good and it is your primary hauler, not a bad idea to install an ATV winch on the headache rack of the deck for pulling on a dead sled / quad / SXS. It can be quite a struggle to get a dead sled on a deck if there's just you or even two people doing it... have had a winch installed on my last 3 decks, only used a couple times, worth every penny. Not too expensive to do, Princess Auto has 3500-4500lb units on sale from time to time - I think my 4500# Superwinch with all the goodies cost me $240 tax in.

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last deck was a Marathon - great deck, very well built. Currently have an STF that I seldom use, except for spring. In the past have had an Aluma-Tech & Sky-Hi, both cracked at pretty much every weld - not the best quality.
Make sure you know the payload capacity of your truck before buying a deck - most newer 3/4 ton diesels cannot legally carry two sleds on a deck, and no 1/2 tons can legally carry two. It would suck to have to unload a sled on the side of the highway... seen it in the past. My truck is a 1 ton diesel 4x4, and with two on the deck, 5 passengers, fuel and enclosed trailer in tow - I am legal by only 46 kg...
If all is good and it is your primary hauler, not a bad idea to install an ATV winch on the headache rack of the deck for pulling on a dead sled / quad / SXS. It can be quite a struggle to get a dead sled on a deck if there's just you or even two people doing it... have had a winch installed on my last 3 decks, only used a couple times, worth every penny. Not too expensive to do, Princess Auto has 3500-4500lb units on sale from time to time - I think my 4500# Superwinch with all the goodies cost me $240 tax in.
Are you baseing these restrictions on the trucks payload capacity? The payload for most newer 1/2 tons ( ford) is close to 2000 lbs!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you baseing these restrictions on the trucks payload capacity? The payload for most newer 1/2 tons ( ford) is close to 2000 lbs!
No, on the actual weight of the truck vs the GVWR and GAWR of front & rear axles. Bear in mind that payload ratings as advertised are usually based on a regular cab, 2wd, V6 equipped truck without A/C - hence the disclaimer "when properly equipped". It isn't just about the suspension being overloaded, it is about braking, wheel bearing load, etc. If you actually weigh your truck with fuel and driver / passenger, subtract that weight from the GVWR, and you will find that the actual payload capacity is significantly less then what is advertised. In alberta you can be commercially liscenced for weight based on tire load capacity, but in BC they go by GVWR that is posted on the door, and there is no way to increase that number. Also, you may be denied coverage (and be liable) if in an accident if it is found your vehicle was overloaded - same goes for lift kits. Cover your ass, do your homework, and make sure your policy covers vehicle modifications to steering & suspension if a lift has been installed. This information is not to start a pissing contest, just simple, hard, facts.

Reactions: GRD

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure he is looking at the GVW and I'm thinking on any half ton there is no way in hell that you can legally have a 2000# payload. Who is feeding you that load of beans?????

My 2500 Sierra HD, 4x4 extended cab, with an 8' aluminum flat deck and a 6 l gas motor isn't even close to a 2000# payload. The GVW is 9200 and with 2 sleds (2013 XMX's for the record), 2 people, riding gear, some full jerry cans, a suitcase for evening gear, a jug of oil and washer fluid, chains, and a couple cameras, I am about 200 kgs under the legal weight.

I have air bags to level out the load so my lights don't bother on coming traffic but they do not increase the GVW.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just installed my new cross trax deck. I'm pretty happy with how they customized the front leg and ramp hanger to allow me to keep my fuel tank. I can finally get rid of the trailer i used to haul my rzr with. Im would like to seal the sides of the deck in order to keep the snow/mud out out of my box. Has anyone done this or have any good ideas as to what I can use?View attachment 153512

I love my cross trax's deck. When I bought Mine I was told not to use the extension loading a quad, I think that was due to the mounting arms of the extension were aluminum square tubing at the time, I changed those out to steel because the aluminum ones bent. I'd be cautious tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my cross trax's deck. When I bought Mine I was told not to use the extension loading a quad, I think that was due to the mounting arms of the extension were aluminum square tubing at the time, I changed those out to steel because the aluminum ones bent. I'd be cautious tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I built an extra support from my reciever to the end of the extension to compensate for weight. I didnt have much faith in those aluminum bars either.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CJR, I used to spec out fleet trucks for various companies. Base weight means nothing. Every option from air conditioning, carpet & spare tire to power locks add to the "base curb weight" of the vehicle - not something many people ask, nor is it something that a salesman will mention (a lot of times they simply don't know). Advertising is misleading - if you try to pull a train or go off roading as displayed in the advertisements, you will be repairing your vehicle, on your dime (they are NOT off highway vehicles). All I am suggesting is before you fork out 3-4 thousand for a deck, hit the scales with your pickup full of fuel, and you will have a correct "curb weight" If the vehicle is new, there will be camper information supplied with it which will tell you max GAWR front and rear, and total payload for that VIN. The law is cracking down on overloaded vehicles, and incorrectly loaded vehicles (insufficient tire contact pressure on front wheels with rear axle over it's GAWR. Do your homework, and cover your a$$ - it may save you money, inconvienence, or even possibly an accident at some point down the road...

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BaSed on those specs you would be overloaded
2sleds easy to ride min 1200 lbs
sled deck and ramp 350-400 lbs
extra passenger 200 lbs
+ gear, half tank fuel, exta fuel for sleds,tool etc
= overloaded
Well when you add it all up, I guess you are over. There are lots of other things ( people, fuel......) that most people don't consider, myself included. I see lots of half tons with two sleds aboard and never once thought they were over.

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info in this thread. I went back and forth on it, but I ended up pulling the trigger on an enclosed trailer. I'm hoping its the right choice!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well when you add it all up, I guess you are over. There are lots of other things ( people, fuel......) that most people don't consider, myself included. I see lots of half tons with two sleds aboard and never once thought they were over.

Yeah, lots of guys put air bags or heavy springs in their 1/2 ton to make it sit right and think they are fooling everyone. Hope the law starts cracking down on these jokers. Pretty much any 1/2 ton is not capable of carrying a deck, if it is, you are realllllly close to the payload or GVWR/GAWR of the vehicle. Most of the payload weights are driver only, no spare tire, no passenger, no 50 lbs of crap under the back seat, etc etc. As the old guy said above, get a real curb weight on the truck with a full tank of fuel and all the stuff you would be ready to ride with (gear, fuel, passenger etc), minus only the deck and sled. You will almost always be over with a generic crew cab type 4x4 1/2 ton.

Also keep in mind that the larger trucks are designed to handle the payload (bigger brakes, axles etc).

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my TruckBoss. First year running it but wouldn't have anything else. Highly recommend. Finish looks OEM and no wood to rot. Had it installed at Marathon in EDM, they are great to deal with. Only con, $$$$.

Top Bottom