Shortage due to covid

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you boys are getting shafted, probably why there were so many Kamloops - Okanagan trucks trying to get work around here in the winter. What are you, around $4.00 tonne hour?
The rate here is $3.80 ton hr. Long log tri/wagon. Mills making record profits and no way will they even give an inch on rates. Mills have it too good as there always finding someone to work cheap.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The Kentucky Speedway is full of Ford trucks waiting on chips. Im in the market for a new truck to replace my 10 year old Dodge and was going to order a 2022 Ford but looks like the Dodge will have at least another year with me.

Hope there's no hail storms in sight

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This will be my first Ford, just trying to decide if I want the SRW F350 or the F450. Working overseas I don't put a ton of miles on in a year, and live out on a acreage so not worried about daily driving a dually. But also not sure I need it as my current Ram has hauled anything Ive ever needed. Guess the 450 does leave me with more options down the road. Decisions decisions.

I'm really curious as to why you are considering the F450? A DRW F350 has better payload capacity, and only a thousand pounds less towing capacity. With the F450 you are stuck with the horrid 4.30 axle ratio, F350 lets you run a 3.55 or 4.10 so the motor isn't screaming down the highway, the 10-speed can downshift for hills. The only benefit I can see to the F450 is the wide track front end and the 19.5" rims. Unless you are looking at cab and chassis, in which case the payload is higher, but at the cost of de-rated engines.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rate here is $3.80 ton hr. Long log tri/wagon. Mills making record profits and no way will they even give an inch on rates. Mills have it too good as there always finding someone to work cheap.

Around here, it varies from mill to mill but for the most part all are comparable, on a short haul, 4 hours or less 7 axle long logger is 4.25 tonne hour, 4 to 7.5 hours is 4.35, 7.5 hours to 10 hours is 4.45 and over 10 is 4.55.

those are pretty generic numbers, it gets broken down in different ways by different mills. Short loggers you can usually add 10 cents onto those numbers and and extra 20 to 30 minutes on the turn times. Fuel increases follow pretty close to the pump numbers. Right now fuel has jumped so the rates have followed.

The worst sort yard tonne hours are better than what you have, $3.99 is what they have been paying the rate cutting out of towners the last bit out of a few different yards.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm really curious as to why you are considering the F450? A DRW F350 has better payload capacity, and only a thousand pounds less towing capacity. With the F450 you are stuck with the horrid 4.30 axle ratio, F350 lets you run a 3.55 or 4.10 so the motor isn't screaming down the highway, the 10-speed can downshift for hills. The only benefit I can see to the F450 is the wide track front end and the 19.5" rims. Unless you are looking at cab and chassis, in which case the payload is higher, but at the cost of de-rated engines.

F450 looks better, tighter turning radius, cost between them is minimal. Either truck will be getting lifted, wheels and tires. Id regear the F350, F450 probably wouldn't need it. Do I need the F450, no probably not. But hey why not right. If I got the F350 Id stick with a SRW.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
F450 looks better, tighter turning radius, cost between them is minimal. Either truck will be getting lifted, wheels and tires. Id regear the F350, F450 probably wouldn't need it. Do I need the F450, no probably not. But hey why not right. If I got the F350 Id stick with a SRW.

Is this 450 for commercial or private use? You may want to check for insurance and registration classifications as well.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you’re comparing a 350dwr to a 450dwr same model they are about 15g price difference on the website. When I was building mine I could not believe the 450 for that much more.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’re comparing a 350dwr to a 450dwr same model they are about 15g price difference on the website. When I was building mine I could not believe the 450 for that much more.

Nope, only approximately 3g in the difference. You must of clicked on a different package by accident.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s a shortage of weed buyers. There’s a glut in BC. It’s about $1,200/lb for AAA if you can find a buyer. Majority of growers are shutting down.

You can get it in Alberta now for around $1000 a lb. everyone here grows now so you don’t have the guys coming out for truckloads anymore as it’s just as cheap or cheaper here. Oh how times have changed.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Supply and demand is only going to get worse... Now truck shops are starting to have issues getting the most common parts with ETA's months away... Going to be some trucks sitting over the lack of everyday parts.. Not looking forward to is as their is going to be alot of truck drives screaming at shops about things that are out of their control.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
works out to about $3.85 tonne hour
def on the lowside compared to northern communities
you boys are getting shafted, probably why there were so many Kamloops - Okanagan trucks trying to get work around here in the winter. What are you, around $4.00 tonne hour?

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The F-450 is such a sweet looking truck.
As far as price, similar build F350 srw, the F-450 is only $3000
more as Caper11 mentioned. Why not go with te truck that will
have way better looks and be worth way more down the road for resale.
I'm not paying full retail so I will wait.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
works out to about $3.85 tonne hour
def on the lowside compared to northern communities

we had a company up here last winter from the Kamloops/Armstrong area doing their best to drive rates down, offering to work for less than the mill regular rates. Then again their equipment was crap, their drivers for the most part were bottom tier, probably paid that way. White Kenworths with green trim. Truck Load contracting or something like that?

Driver costs eat up some of that rate difference I do believe, a driver here working the 12 hour day that was originally asked about is making between 520 and 600 a day depending on the contractor.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get it in Alberta now for around $1000 a lb. everyone here grows now so you don’t have the guys coming out for truckloads anymore as it’s just as cheap or cheaper here. Oh how times have changed.
I just bought a lb of dosi do strain. $950 lb. 3-4 star weed. Unreal cheap price

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The F-450 is such a sweet looking truck.
As far as price, similar build F350 srw, the F-450 is only $3000
more as Caper11 mentioned. Why not go with te truck that will
have way better looks and be worth way more down the road for resale.
I'm not paying full retail so I will wait.

Man you people buy trucks for the wrong reasons. Anyone buying a 450 because of looks has no reason to be buying one.

The reason to upgrade from a 350 is because the 450 and 550 are meant for commercial purposes, and are made to be loaded to 100% capacity 100% of the time, whereas a 350 is not. Everything on them is built to be a work truck, not a useless lifted grocery getter.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man you people buy trucks for the wrong reasons. Anyone buying a 450 because of looks has no reason to be buying one.

The reason to upgrade from a 350 is because the 450 and 550 are meant for commercial purposes, and are made to be loaded to 100% capacity 100% of the time, whereas a 350 is not. Everything on them is built to be a work truck, not a useless lifted grocery getter.

You go girl... he should know better, lol.

Reactions: LID

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, only approximately 3g in the difference. You must of clicked on a different package by accident.

There’s 3g difference between a 250 and 350 swr only reason I got a 250. But the 450s have a huge price jump

6de712ad817e17d34cf10398868b7e9b.jpg

d229935ac496ccaad41e71a65b4170f6.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom