short term memory

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
changeing 2-6 volt to 1-12 volt

Hey guys I took my batteries out of my travel trailer for the winter and now have forgoten how to wire them back in. I have tryed putting the positive wires to the positive post bridgeing the + post and attaching the ground to the trailer but still have no power in the trailer I am wondering if I need to bridge the negitive post as well I tried it with one battery but no power in the trailer so maybe I have 6v batteries and need both to power the trailer? :confused:

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
See my diagram I just finished mine tonight. As long as there 2 - 6 Volts this works if you do it with 2-12V you will have 24 Volts.
With the 2 - 6V batteries in a pair like this you have alot of reserve power, each battery has 3 Very large Cells. Much bigger than a 12V battery.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 41

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember on an RV, the black wire is probably not the ground. White is ground, black is positive....USUALLY. And make DARN sure you have 6v batts before wiring it as per Ron's diagram.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember on an RV, the black wire is probably not the ground. White is ground, black is positive....USUALLY. And make DARN sure you have 6v batts before wiring it as per Ron's diagram.

Lights will be brighter at 24 v...for awhile.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got it all hooked up and everthing seems to be working fine I checked the batteries and nowhere does it say 12v or 6v so I tried googleing the make and model and it comes up as a 6v

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Each cell is around 2V, a quck look at the top of the battery will tell you.

motrhed

Reaction score
Got it all hooked up and everthing seems to be working fine I checked the batteries and nowhere does it say 12v or 6v so I tried googleing the make and model and it comes up as a 6v

Easiest way to tell:
3 fluid cells (caps) = 6 Volt
6 fluid cells (caps) = 12 Volt

Also 6 Volt batteries are generally heavier than an equivalent sized 12 Volt battery. Two 6V's in series give much better reserve capacity than two equal sized 12V's in parallel.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am glad I am not the only guy this happens to..........

Ya - got the new RV home last weekend and proceeded to wire up the batteries in series, instead of parallel. My father had taken them out last fall and stored them - so of course I wasn't thinking when I put them back in

Always had 6 volts in the horse trailers. Of course new RV has 12 volts. When the slide out went out twice as fast - duh moment right there.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still in the delusional phase I think I will remember but never do:rant:

Top Bottom