Sept 14 !!! Lots of 900 xps for sale...........

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weight vs durability. tough nut to crack. lots of other lighter materials out there for all kinds of components but with that comes cost. chromoly is a great substitute but is more expensive, plus fatigues sooner from flex than mild steel. light seems to work well on snow but not so well on dirt! whoever can design light yet durable for the hp they make will surely be the clear winner.

I know its a cost game but if they can't make them lighter they need way bigger tires. They are close to double the weight of a quad and on the same size rubber. Make a razor s with the 900 motor with 35x12 on a 16" rim and gear the ch!t out it. That's what I want to see.

Last edited:

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know its a cost game but if they can't make them lighter they need way bigger tires. They are close to double the weight of a quad and on the same size rubber. Make a razor s with the 900 motor with 35x12 on a 16" rim and gear the ch!t out it. That's what I want to see.

Build it. You can get lifts and tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Build it. You can get lifts and tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard
Enough lift to clear 35's? Haven't seen one yet and there are lots of modded rigs out there. Besides I'm not old enough yet lol I can still quad

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You say it outweighs the rzr by almost 300lbs? The press release I saw says the maverick is just under 1300lbs. So by those numbers you're saying the rzr is around 1000 lbs? I actually have no idea what the rzr weighs but that just seems kinda low is all. What is the weight on a rzr?
They can say whatever they like, but there is no way that maverick is under 1300 lbs. Its a commander with a bed delete: A commander is 1500 lbs real world weight, a bed delete shaves 70-80lbs max.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can say whatever they like, but there is no way that maverick is under 1300 lbs. Its a commander with a bed delete: A commander is 1500 lbs real world weight, a bed delete shaves 70-80lbs max.
lol...it's a little more than a commander with a bed delete. it has long travel too, and is under 1300 lbs. they built it to compete with the xp, weight was one of the major issues. they wouldn't claim best power to weight ratio if it wasn't truthful.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol...it's a little more than a commander with a bed delete. it has long travel too, and is under 1300 lbs. they built it to compete with the xp, weight was one of the major issues. they wouldn't claim best power to weight ratio if it wasn't truthful.

I see. So adding longer a-arms, longer trailing arms, extended axles, and dual exhaust are weight saving measures? Who knew?

I'm sure it does have the best power to weight ratio in the class, but they got it by adding lots of power, not by dropping weight. 1300 lbs (which is what the can-am rep himself said in the launch video) is still 1300 lbs, regardless of how much power is pushing it around. It's no different than a guy sledding with a boosted four-stroke: the power to weight ratio blows away a two-stroke, but it still handles like crap and sinks like a rock in the soft stuff. That being said, I do think the thing has a lot of strong points. If I was looking for something to bomb around the desert with for fun, it would probably be my pick, I like the interior, fit and finish, and sound of the can-am better. On the flip side, if I was going racing, or looking for something Canada-friendly (mud, skeg, tight treed trails), I would go with the rzr for it's lighter weight and narrow body.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see. So adding longer a-arms, longer trailing arms, extended axles, and dual exhaust are weight saving measures? Who knew?

I'm sure it does have the best power to weight ratio in the class, but they got it by adding lots of power, not by dropping weight. 1300 lbs (which is what the can-am rep himself said in the launch video) is still 1300 lbs, regardless of how much power is pushing it around. It's no different than a guy sledding with a boosted four-stroke: the power to weight ratio blows away a two-stroke, but it still handles like crap and sinks like a rock in the soft stuff. That being said, I do think the thing has a lot of strong points. If I was looking for something to bomb around the desert with for fun, it would probably be my pick, I like the interior, fit and finish, and sound of the can-am better. On the flip side, if I was going racing, or looking for something Canada-friendly (mud, skeg, tight treed trails), I would go with the rzr for it's lighter weight and narrow body.
there are plenty of RZR XP's bombing around in the exact locations you mention. the only place I have seen them get in any trouble is detours around fallen trees or bad holes. I would never have believed a 1600lb Commander would go places a quad wouldn't until I got one. the only place I stay away from is that black churned up bottomless skeg. they sink. badly. but so do the quads, they are just easier to get out.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it will be a great machine for it`s intended use........However mid engine,NO QE diff and ??? clutching might be a big issue......
I would wait till Jan before i made any large decisions,as i here we are about to see Popo`s answer........!!

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are plenty of RZR XP's bombing around in the exact locations you mention. the only place I have seen them get in any trouble is detours around fallen trees or bad holes. I would never have believed a 1600lb Commander would go places a quad wouldn't until I got one. the only place I stay away from is that black churned up bottomless skeg. they sink. badly. but so do the quads, they are just easier to get out.

We always carry a chainsaw in our commander. With that we can make it fit in the smallest places that you need to go.

Sent from a iPhone

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it will be a great machine for it`s intended use........However mid engine,NO QE diff and ??? clutching might be a big issue......
I would wait till Jan before i made any large decisions,as i here we are about to see Popo`s answer........!!
they are supposedly coming out with something in december. these UTV wars are pretty awesome for the consumer.

the demo maverick at the sand show also was sans power steering. people will spend money on them to make them what they want anyways, just like anything else.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We always carry a chainsaw in our commander. With that we can make it fit in the smallest places that you need to go.

Sent from a iPhone
agreed. I'm not much into bush bashing, would have been quite a detour around this one had someone not chopped 'er up

GrandeCacheBash2012114.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rzr is 1200lbs....the maverick is 1300lbs....spread that over 4 tires you rly think its going to sink out of sight in comparison? These aren't sleds they are sxs. 2d movement not 3d like a sled. Your not going to notice the 100lbs because your not sidehilling it like a sled.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its 100 lbs more than a RZR XP with 13 more HP, same suspension travel, better rear suspension type, 27" factory rubber, and better weight distribution. It was designed with the RZR XP in the target and pretty sure it hit the mark. It is not a Commander with a bed delete....better do a little more reading before making that claim....doesn't matter anyways, the guy claiming it said the Rhino was the best thing since sliced bread until he got a RZR....so now the RZR is king turd. LOL.

OK for 2600 bucks you can have 130 hp in the XP....there's LOTS of Can Am big bore, big HP guys out there too....guys are getting those numbers from Can Am 800cc based quad motors.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dear god I pissed off the BRP guys...look out this could get ugly. Lol!

The rzr is 1200lbs....the maverick is 1300lbs....spread that over 4 tires you rly think its going to sink out of sight in comparison? These aren't sleds they are sxs. 2d movement not 3d like a sled. Your not going to notice the 100lbs because your not sidehilling it like a sled.

So you're a sxs expert all of a sudden? Didn't you post this on the other maverick thread?:
Lol sxs are new to me I want to know why this is so much different and worse than a rzr? They all look the same to me

You asked for some info that's what I'm giving you. I'm sorry if it offends your pro-BRP sensibilities. And weight does matter on a wheeled vehicle just like it does on anything else. There's a reason why every form of pro-Motorsport has minimum weight rules. It affects every aspect of a vehicle's handling. If the difference really is only 120 lbs then whatever. All I'm saying is I don't see how they shaved 300lbs off the commander when they made this thing. Apart from shrinking the bed and reshapong the plastics, all the mods they made should have added weight not taken it away. My guess is that it's closer to 1500lbs, and that is a significant disadvantage. And Dave if you bothered to read any of my previous posts about why I traded my rhino for a rzr maybe you'd have a better understanding of what I'm saying here.

Aaaaand begin round 3....haha

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aaaaand begin round 3....haha

Round 3 will be when these things hit the trail. Speculation is a wonderful thing. On paper...it looks to rock. But before you compare paper to paper....figure out your own specs Muffman...because Polaris does not make a 1000 lb Sxs with 88 hp.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Round 3 will be when these things hit the trail. Speculation is a wonderful thing. On paper...it looks to rock. But before you compare paper to paper....figure out your own specs Muffman...because Polaris does not make a 1000 lb Sxs with 88 hp.

I got it figured fine. I never said the rzr xp was 1000 lbs. I said the maverick is 300lbs heavier. Basing that on BRPs past history with weight figures: they claimed 1295lbs for the commander 1000 when it was released, actual weight 1500+. And I agree with you, the real story will be told out on the trail. More specifically: the racetrack.

Top Bottom