Selling used sleds

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thats well put.

I took the view point from a younger person fresh out of trade school or university who is just starting out in there careers and would like to run new iron rather then somebodies used.

I agree on the point to a point. It takes a very strong willed person to resist all the hype and advertising of the "free money". Sure, the dealers are making money, the banks are making money, and all the financing is insured but just the same financial management or lack of financial management has wrecked a lot of peeps.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It still amazes me that peeps finance at no no no for whatever then when they want to sell there purchase for x dollars they find out they owe more than what there purchase is worth? Its like.....well how can that be? A lot of peeps don't understand the mess they get in to.

and isn't that the truth!

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People financing a sled over 7 years and taking the full term to pay is referring to a small minority of sled buyers. (former BRP sales guy) Most people pay cash for their toys (like 60-80% i would estimate) Some of this would be home equity 'cash' no doubt, but still. Many people that financed their sleds were paying them off in reasonable time (1-3 years) and were able to upgrade when they wanted to leaving them able to just pay cash for the difference. I fell into this category. 2 years ago I had a new sled and owed about half it's value. I payed it off in a year because I hate paying interest and hate making payments.

Financing is not killing used sled resale value.. I actually think the used sled market is pretty strong. Just be reasonable with your expectations... Think of why YOU are selling your sled in the first place. The new model is better, I don't want to let it go off warranty, I don't want to break down and ruin a weekend, and IF I can sell mine for X my wife will let me buy a new sled because it will ONLY cost Y. What i'm getting at is most people want new instead of used for the same reason YOU want new instead of the one you've got! A seller needs to get enough money to justify selling, A buyer needs enough of a discount to justify not buying new. naturally there's a disconnect with what that discount should be between buyers and sellers.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People financing a sled over 7 years and taking the full term to pay is referring to a small minority of sled buyers. (former BRP sales guy) Most people pay cash for their toys (like 60-80% i would estimate) Some of this would be home equity 'cash' no doubt, but still. Many people that financed their sleds were paying them off in reasonable time (1-3 years) and were able to upgrade when they wanted to leaving them able to just pay cash for the difference. I fell into this category. 2 years ago I had a new sled and owed about half it's value. I payed it off in a year because I hate paying interest and hate making payments.

Financing is not killing used sled resale value.. I actually think the used sled market is pretty strong. Just be reasonable with your expectations... Think of why YOU are selling your sled in the first place. The new model is better, I don't want to let it go off warranty, I don't want to break down and ruin a weekend, and IF I can sell mine for X my wife will let me buy a new sled because it will ONLY cost Y. What i'm getting at is most people want new instead of used for the same reason YOU want new instead of the one you've got! A seller needs to get enough money to justify selling, A buyer needs enough of a discount to justify not buying new. naturally there's a disconnect with what that discount should be between buyers and sellers.

Holy cow......you just hit the nail right on the head.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet Christ. The 'buyers' aka tire kickers are annoying.

I explicitly say 'IF THE AD IS STILL HERE -ITS FOR SALE'

I'll let you guess what people keep asking in there one line reply...

Or "I'll pick it up Monday if you take (insert ridiculous offer here)". I say sorry man that's too low but I'm willing to deal a little but not that much. Let me know. No reply.

Or ask questions that I have laid out in detail in the ad ie 'why are you selling it, etc etc'.

Some humans are so depressing.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Or "I'll pick it up Monday if you take (insert ridiculous offer here)". I say sorry man that's too low but I'm willing to deal a little but not that much. Let me know. No reply.

Or ask questions that I have laid out in detail in the ad ie 'why are you selling it, etc etc'.

You can't fix stupid Brad. I got none of that when the 2013 was on Kijiji. My experience with Kijiji has been real good.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Nobody offered to trade an old white truck?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll trade for four tickets to Austrailia. Or can the white truck fly?

Just after I posted the previous, This other guy asks me to drag the sled out 180'ish km from where I live for him to 'take a look at' and he would ''give an offer' if it all checked out lol. Ughh. Are people serious?

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't stand kijiji. Alomst every email I get is people lowballing, I finally found someone that was willing to pay a half decent price for my sled and he asked me to hold it for him for a week and he will be here on the 20th with cash and he really wanted it! So me being a nice guy told him sure, and I delete the ad cause I was tired of people texting and emailing me about it and I figured it was pretty much sold by the way this guy was talking, so the day before he texts me saying he will be there in the afternoon and guess what! The cocksmoker never showed up! Didn't even give me a text or a call saying he wasn't going to make it, haven't herd from him since

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sold my 850XP Sportsman a few weeks ago. It was listed on Kijiji and Auto Trader. The thing that pissed me off was the fuggin scammers. I got four e-mails from a-holes that could only pay by Pay Pal, but because of their busy work schedule, they couldn't pick it up themselves. They all had a shipper that could come get it though. I told two of them to f-off and told the other two that my quad doesn't turn a wheel until I have cash or a bank draft in hand. Never heard back from any of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has got to be some way kijiji can get a little more scammer proof. No one can stand the bull crap emails that comes with it.
They could easily make buyers register through either Facebook, Google +, a verified cell #, or some other verified account the way Tinder does. It's worked for them. I don't see what's so hard about it.

XanderKane

Reaction score
I can't stand kijiji. Alomst every email I get is people lowballing, I finally found someone that was willing to pay a half decent price for my sled and he asked me to hold it for him for a week and he will be here on the 20th with cash and he really wanted it! So me being a nice guy told him sure, and I delete the ad cause I was tired of people texting and emailing me about it and I figured it was pretty much sold by the way this guy was talking, so the day before he texts me saying he will be there in the afternoon and guess what! The cocksmoker never showed up! Didn't even give me a text or a call saying he wasn't going to make it, haven't herd from him since

always take take a deposit via EMT or PAYPAL. Same thing happened to me at the beginning of September except when he didn't show I kept his deposit and the kijiji add just reflected "pending".

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sick of kijiji . people can't read. I understand wanting a deal but come on. I'm very willing to deal but offering half of the asking price is insulting.
I'd rather deal with the scammers than the kijidiots...honestly

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I was dealing with the same person

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A public kijiji profile would help. Write a bad review about a buyer if they don't show up when they said they would or of a seller misrepresents what he's selling. There is no accountability the way it's set up now..

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A public kijiji profile would help. Write a bad review about a buyer if they don't show up when they said they would or of a seller misrepresents what he's selling. There is no accountability the way it's set up now..

a little more like ebay would be nice

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, its opposite.
I was looking for a sled and found 3 different sleds to choose from.
One sled was in Red Deer, second on Silvian lake, last in Edmonton.
I did text them and decided to spent the whole Sunday looking at all of them.
However, that guy from Edmonton was really nasty, texting to me numerous times even at 3 A:M, wanted me start looking starting from Edmonton not the way around.
Actually I never promised him that I am going to grab his sled, just said I am gonna look at it.
He pissed me off with his sled so much, so decided not to spend my time on him, then he start texting me "ha-ha you don't have enough money to buy my sled".
Sometimes situation is opposite

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Been there too - kijiji is a chit show at the best of time on both side of the equation.

Reactions: GRD
Top Bottom