Secondary Spring?

pehmanndragon

Reaction score
My brother broke his Secondary Spring today wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother broke his Secondary Spring today wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?

Broke my primary spring this weekend. Dealer said he heard of a few breaking and they don't really know why.

prairie rmk

Reaction score
haven't heard of secondaries breaking, but lots of primary springs. Put in the SLP blue/pink in the primary, just lightly higher engagement, way better quality. Not sure what's best for a secondary spring on a stock sled.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haven't heard of secondaries breaking, but lots of primary springs. Put in the SLP blue/pink in the primary, just lightly higher engagement, way better quality. Not sure what's best for a secondary spring on a stock sled.

Anyone know why the primary springs break? Bad batch? Or just crap build?

25AXLE

Reaction score
My primary spring broke also. I'm thinking its a bad batch of steel that they used, or tried to get away with using a lower quality steel. I upgraded to the SLP blue/pink spring.

pehmanndragon

Reaction score
To correct myself it was the primary spring not secondary spring (brainfart)

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I broke the secondary in my dragon today. Correct me if I am wrong but the clutching between the dragon and pro rmk isn't a whole lot different is it? How do I know that it broke? Never seen one break before Will take a better look tomorrow.

Sent from my mobile telephone

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i haven't broke mine yet,but looked it it today...SLP or Polaris it sounds like both are breaking...The spring is rubbing the spider,i also saw some fine shaving on the arms of the spider,if u look at the pics u can see the grey on the spring from rubbing it...I only have 70 miles on mine and i can notice already.Heard of guy installing delrin washer

spring.jpg
spring2.jpg

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got around 100 miles on mine and there's some rubbing going on in the same place as Rudy's. Did some reading on this on several sites and there were claims of a bad batch of Polaris springs. The ends on my stock spring sit flat and some claimed that if they did, they were fine. I swapped to a SLP blue / pink anyway and tossed the Poo one in my underseat bag incase I had one crap on the hill.

I'm starting to think the issue is the spider not having enough clearance around the spring after seeing this, more and more.

sideshow13

Reaction score
It is supposed to be a bad batch of springs from Polaris. Some are going at under 100kms, Ordering a new spring "should" fix the problem.
There have also been troubles with the bushing in the primary shitting the bed under heavy load in deep snow... Happened to mine on the weekend. Seizes the primary up so it wont disengage..

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got around 100 miles on mine and there's some rubbing going on in the same place as Rudy's. Did some reading on this on several sites and there were claims of a bad batch of Polaris springs. The ends on my stock spring sit flat and some claimed that if they did, they were fine. I swapped to a SLP blue / pink anyway and tossed the Poo one in my underseat bag incase I had one crap on the hill.

I'm starting to think the issue is the spider not having enough clearance around the spring after seeing this, more and more.

Have u noticed any wear on the SLP spring...because on SW guys are saying they have broken the SLP one as well...I emailed my pics to a Polaris mechanic and said he will be making some calls to see if they can tell him the issue.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's def more then a bad batch of springs. Alot of springs breaking repeatably as mentioned. I'm hoping a recall comes out to correct this issue as I'm sure the Polaris team is working hard on figuring out a fix.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have u noticed any wear on the SLP spring...because on SW guys are saying they have broken the SLP one as well...I emailed my pics to a Polaris mechanic and said he will be making some calls to see if they can tell him the issue.

Haven't been able to ride yet. Heading to Wyoming in 10 days and I'll know after that. From looking tonight, I'm 100% positive I'll see the same wear on the SLP spring due to how tight the clearance is to the spider. My stock spring has the exact same outside wear as yours.

My buddy is getting a few delrin washers for the primary from Indy Dan, so we'll know if that makes any difference either.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris mechanic giro back to me and said its binding causing then to break,he also said they were getting a kit for 2 washers and 2 shims for about $20,he will be getting back to me if that does work...on the other hand i already have 2 extra springs ready one SLP and a new one through warranty.

Top Bottom