Muffler overheat

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after the big dump a few days ago on the coast we broke into Appa lake and the Pemberton Icecap. Had 3 muffler overheat warnings on my 23 turbo. Never even heard of those before never mine having one. Let it cool down and was OK. Anyone else ever get one

slewfoot

Reaction score
Yes I get this all the time,if run in midrange for longer periods “muffler overheat”comes on.it’s a pain in th a##.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they call it muffler overheat but in actuality it's the turbo that they are worried about. The term they shold be using is EGT overtemp. The harder you work and engin the higher the EGT's High EGT contibute to turbo failure.
My Cummin deisel does the same thing work it too hard and the EGT's climb.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after the big dump a few days ago on the coast we broke into Appa lake and the Pemberton Icecap. Had 3 muffler overheat warnings on my 23 turbo. Never even heard of those before never mine having one. Let it cool down and was OK. Anyone else ever get one
Welcome to the turbo world, us aftermarket builders figured that out years ago, give these OE guys time and they will figure it out with these baby power turbo's.
The lack of good flow will cause hot soak of the turbo underload. Nothing adnormal, just an OE learning curve.

My advice is do alittle research and find a NON baffled muffler. Resonator type, it will be noisier and make sure you have a good snow deflector at the pipe exit.

Last edited:
Reactions: zal

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they call it muffler overheat but in actuality it's the turbo that they are worried about. The term they shold be using is EGT overtemp. The harder you work and engin the higher the EGT's High EGT contibute to turbo failure.
My Cummin deisel does the same thing work it too hard and the EGT's climb.

Is it though? I've always thought EGT's on a 2 -stroke we're lower, 1250F max is the number that comes to mind, pretty sure you'll melt a piston before running into issues with the turbo. Lot's of modern diesel's can run 1300F-1400F sustained without consequence to the turbo.

Maybe this is just quibbling over details, can't imagine BRP put that sensor there for nothing.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it though? I've always thought EGT's on a 2 -stroke we're lower, 1250F max is the number that comes to mind, pretty sure you'll melt a piston before running into issues with the turbo. Lot's of modern diesel's can run 1300F-1400F sustained without consequence to the turbo.

Maybe this is just quibbling over details, can't imagine BRP put that sensor there for nothing.
you're probably righ. Likely melt a piston before burning out the turbo, but like you say BRP didn't put it there for nothing. That being said, sustained heat of say a safe 1100 EGT into a turbo with a muffler resticting the flow would create a heat soak condition therefor the turbo temps would increase. I've been told that you want to cool a turbo down before shutting the engine down so as to not cook the oil in the turbo ( this is on heavy equipment I imagine much the samae on smaller turbos) high turbo temps and no oil flow the oil cooks. So with that in mind I believe that BRP is covering their asses for warrantee claims on turbos due to turbo overheating. That muffler temp is likely recorded in the ECU and can be retrieved by the mechanic if required.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is getting tight in these cold temperatures but that is just my thoughts.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never had any issues on my 2020.5 turbo 8000km and 3000km+ on my 2023 before it happened on one day so pretty sure BRP has it figured out. Pretty sure just all the vents plugged with snow.
Just giving advice through real world experience, Polaris has a similar problem, we call it the Polaris gargle LOL
caused by exhaust restriction, though there exhaust pulls heat better then the Doo turbo.
We have been swapping the mufflers for the cure.
It's only an issue under the right conditions, so for you it maybe a one off thing.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you're probably righ. Likely melt a piston before burning out the turbo, but like you say BRP didn't put it there for nothing. That being said, sustained heat of say a safe 1100 EGT into a turbo with a muffler resticting the flow would create a heat soak condition therefor the turbo temps would increase. I've been told that you want to cool a turbo down before shutting the engine down so as to not cook the oil in the turbo ( this is on heavy equipment I imagine much the samae on smaller turbos) high turbo temps and no oil flow the oil cooks. So with that in mind I believe that BRP is covering their asses for warrantee claims on turbos due to turbo overheating. That muffler temp is likely recorded in the ECU and can be retrieved by the mechanic if required.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is getting tight in these cold temperatures but that is just my thoughts.
the doo service manual recommends idling the engine for 30 sec before shutdown on the turbos but oddly it’s not mentioned in the owner’s manual.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another 2023 turbo in same area had same message. The 2024 were fine. Just wierd snow conditions icing the vents up

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the doo service manual recommends idling the engine for 30 sec before shutdown on the turbos but oddly it’s not mentioned in the owner’s manual.
I think that goes for alot of different machines that run a turbo. skidsteer turbo machines for sure you have to idle down

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that goes for alot of different machines that run a turbo. skidsteer turbo machines for sure you have to idle down
agreed. every turbo vehicle I’ve owned recommended this in the owner’s manual ‘cept doo.

Top Bottom