SDI 1000 with a Thermostat. Good idea or not?

highlandrider

Reaction score
I just got a 2005 rev 1000x and I noticed it has no thermostat. Now some people are saying to put one in and some say the engine is made not to have one. What is the consensus on this? Was also told a polaris inline thermostat is was the answer and the other solution is a 800r thermostat and machine the housing so it fits. I don't want to be cold seizing this engine.

Any input would be much appreciated

Last edited:

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a 2005 rev 1000x and I noticed it has no thermostat. Now some people are saying to put one in and some say the engine is made not to have one. What is the consensus on this? Was also told a polaris inline thermostat is was the answer and the other solution is a 800r thermostat and machine the housing so it fits. I don't want to be cold seizing this engine.

Any input would be much appreciated

I would put one in. The previous owner probably took it out for a quick fix on the hill and never put it back. Temp control with that motor is pretty important.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would put one in. The previous owner probably took it out for a quick fix on the hill and never put it back. Temp control with that motor is pretty important.

I don't think the RT 1000 came with a thermostat?:rolleyes:

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people using a inline thermostat from a Polaris Storm. Don't know how well it works. The RT's sure run cool though, too cool.

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the small rear cooler yet. Take the small rear cooler out and let the sled warm up before riding it. As for putting one in. Go to dootalk there is alot of good information on the 1000 summits.

highlandrider

Reaction score
I have not taken out the rear cooler yet, now is there any benefit to keeping it? Has anyone put a thermostat in the 1000 rt engine and how did you do it?
I would like to know what Ski-Doo thought on how to prevent shock cooling without a thermostat. Years ago I had a 1983 Blizzard 9700 with the same no thermostat problem and when going from trail to powder (6 inches of powder is all that sled would take) I managed to snap a skirt off the piston. Reason= shock cooling, a thermostat took care of that.

Back to the 1000, I haven't checked out Dootalk yet, next on the list.
thanks for the replies so far.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i have not taken out the rear cooler yet, now is there any benefit to keeping it? Has anyone put a thermostat in the 1000 rt engine and how did you do it?
I would like to know what ski-doo thought on how to prevent shock cooling without a thermostat. Years ago i had a 1983 blizzard 9700 with the same no thermostat problem and when going from trail to powder (6 inches of powder is all that sled would take) i managed to snap a skirt off the piston. Reason= shock cooling, a thermostat took care of that.

Back to the 1000, i haven't checked out dootalk yet, next on the list.
Thanks for the replies so far.

keep us in touch... My '06 doesn't have the little cooler behind the big tunnel cooler.......but it does have the little cooler at the front of the tunnel...........

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 06 and 07 1000 summits did not come with the small rear cooler. It is not needed. Loses 6-7 lbs off the back including coolant.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not taken out the rear cooler yet, now is there any benefit to keeping it? Has anyone put a thermostat in the 1000 rt engine and how did you do it?
I would like to know what Ski-Doo thought on how to prevent shock cooling without a thermostat. Years ago I had a 1983 Blizzard 9700 with the same no thermostat problem and when going from trail to powder (6 inches of powder is all that sled would take) I managed to snap a skirt off the piston. Reason= shock cooling, a thermostat took care of that.

Back to the 1000, I haven't checked out Dootalk yet, next on the list.
thanks for the replies so far.
I'v heard of guys developing leaks in the front cooler and having to bypass it...too much work to repair or replace.....handy to have rear cooler then.

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, that was me. I removed the rear cooler and Gerry @ Martin bypassed the front cooler after it developed a leak. It's part of the chassis and must stay for structural reasons. I just warm it up like normal and go. Haven't had any issues.

jwide1

Reaction score
Hey guys I had a T-stat installed into my 2005 1000. I sent my head in to get it milled to fit a t-stat from an 800 skidoo. I also eliminated the front cooler on my sled but found that it kept over heating (if deleting frnt cooler make sure you have a long snow flap on, mine was cut down) so i reinstalled my frnt cooler. I had a melt down in my engine and the mechanic said that it was from going on hard packed and then into fluff which caused a cold seize. So thats why I put in a t-stat because I don't want to spend another $3000 in repairs(this doesn't include labour). Hope this helps.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep us in touch... My '06 doesn't have the little cooler behind the big tunnel cooler.......but it does have the little cooler at the front of the tunnel...........

actually the '06 main cooler on the tunnel itself is also about half the size as the one on the '05 aswell as the rear cooler being deleted.. i did alot of swap overs where you remove the stock cooler in the tunnel that runs full length of the tunnel and cut it and shorten it so it's like a 800 cooler.. this is cooler out the back but i bet you rick if you look under your seat there is no cooler there.. just hoses.. so yah delete rear cooler at the least.. there is no need for a thermostat, i havn't heard of anybody taking out a motor due to that except the guy before that said his mechanic told him that it was what caused his motor to blow.. My two cents.

Top Bottom