School me on turbos

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about pulling the pin on a turbo for the XM.

I know I shouldn’t – but I rode one on the weekend. Even though it was not running great, when it pulled hard it was unbelievable.

And the guys I am riding monthly with are all on turbo Arctic Cats or Polaris. And I have to admit having the extra horsepower this weekend really made my life easier following their lines. I know I should be able to do it – just don’t have the skill to take a stocker up their lines. Yet.

I don’t want to give up the low end snap – as most of the riding I like doing is in the trees. Me and that XM are really starting to get along.

So I am thinking a TSS kit. Keep it at 5lbs boost. Talk me out of it.

Or else going to a Polaris and a pump gas kit. I hear they are easier.

How easy is it to get av gas in the Interior, Revelstoke, Golden and Valemount? I am just worried about running out?

Greg

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about pulling the pin on a turbo for the XM.

I know I shouldn’t – but I rode one on the weekend. Even though it was not running great, when it pulled hard it was unbelievable.

And the guys I am riding monthly with are all on turbo Arctic Cats or Polaris. And I have to admit having the extra horsepower this weekend really made my life easier following their lines. I know I should be able to do it – just don’t have the skill to take a stocker up their lines. Yet.

I don’t want to give up the low end snap – as most of the riding I like doing is in the trees. Me and that XM are really starting to get along.

So I am thinking a TSS kit. Keep it at 5lbs boost. Talk me out of it.

Or else going to a Polaris and a pump gas kit. I hear they are easier.

How easy is it to get av gas in the Interior, Revelstoke, Golden and Valemount? I am just worried about running out?

Greg

So basically its the best decision you could ever make. You can get av gas at all the airports, but its cheaper to haul your own (i pay about $1.40/Liter here vs $1.80 from the airports there)

Best way of describing the TSS kit is it feels like stock up until the turbo spools. I have about 1700 km on my turbo XM and not one issue. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

If you are worried about tree riding, look at Destroyer's tree riding vid. These things run like stock on the bottom end, then give you massive track speed instantly :)

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mareshow

Sent you a pm. Where do you get av gas around here? I have heard you can just use Torco Accelerator as well.

That has been my one big worry - running out of fuel and not being able to get any.

Greg

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So basically its the best decision you could ever make. You can get av gas at all the airports, but its cheaper to haul your own (i pay about $1.40/Liter here vs $1.80 from the airports there)

Best way of describing the TSS kit is it feels like stock up until the turbo spools. I have about 1700 km on my turbo XM and not one issue. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

If you are worried about tree riding, look at Destroyer's tree riding vid. These things run like stock on the bottom end, then give you massive track speed instantly :)

That was a good shot about talking him out of it!

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mareshow

Sent you a pm. Where do you get av gas around here? I have heard you can just use Torco Accelerator as well.

That has been my one big worry - running out of fuel and not being able to get any.

Greg
If was u I would take the sled to kenny at mountain magic I had my M8 diled in by him and wow compared to a sled out of the crate and I have a s/c apex and yes the power is great but u are going to be tired at the end of the day. I would spend the money to have him work on my sled if he cost more but I don't no what other peaple are charging but I have seen his work and his turboed sleds run on pump gas so that will save u a chunk of money if u do alot of riding, I no because I run racing fuel at 3.30 a L so I no how u feal when u burn the gas on a good day of riding.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you barefooter. i got to ride a buddies 13 cat with a boondocker race gas setup with a linderman port job and holy crap i fell in love!!! there is no lag at all with his setup. That extra power is so nice when you have to slow down, turn and get right back into it she would just sing and hold the eff on!!! it was also nice because i know how to ride the new cat chassis.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If was u I would take the sled to kenny at mountain magic I had my M8 diled in by him and wow compared to a sled out of the crate and I have a s/c apex and yes the power is great but u are going to be tired at the end of the day. I would spend the money to have him work on my sled if he cost more but I don't no what other peaple are charging but I have seen his work and his turboed sleds run on pump gas so that will save u a chunk of money if u do alot of riding, I no because I run racing fuel at 3.30 a L so I no how u feal when u burn the gas on a good day of riding.

TSS is the only place I would let touch a turbo etec. You could also look into Trygstad's 872, hearing lot's of good about it as well.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mareshow

Greg

Brandon Petroleum in edmonton 34 st and 76 ave, talk to Kane, he'll hook you up :). Its all about carrying the right amount. I have yet to run out and i have ridden basically every weekend this year. I would stay away from any fuel accelerator if i were you. Dave Micku said it best when he told me that running 100% av gas is basically cheap insurance so thats why i run 100%. Every airport sells the stuff too so all you have to do is find an airport, which revy has one, so does vale so there is always fuel close.

That was a good shot about talking him out of it!

i do my best :)

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been told by a few people that if you run less than 6psi, youre better off with twin pipes. In regards to polaris anyways. But im sure its the same.

The power vs cost isnt worth it for the low low boost.

In terms of fuel, ive also been recommended to run 100% av gas as well. The pricing i got, i could buy two drums of av gas for the price of one drum of race gas (which doesnt include the cost of the pump premium to mix it with.) If yoire worried about running out, bring a slip tank.

Also, i aalways recommend intercooling. It makes your engime happier. Cooler intake charge equals more reliable power, lower octane requirement, etc.

Last edited:

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been told by a few people that if you run less than 6psi, youre better off with twin pipes. In regards to polaris anyways. But im sure its the same.

The power vs cost isnt worth it for the low low boost.

In terms of fuel, ive also been recommended to run 100% av gas as well. The pricing i got, i could buy two drums of av gas for the price of one drum of race gas (which doesnt include the cost of the pump premium to mix it with.) If yoire worried about running out, bring a slip tank.

Also, i aalways recommend intercooling. It makes your engime happier. Cooler intake charge equals more reliable power, lower octane requirement, etc.

I've been running 5 -6 lbs on my pro all year!! Don't have twin pipes!!
So your info is wrong

If your interested in turbo ski doo have to go to TSS
If you want turbo pro or yamaha go to Boostit
And running straight av gas may not be the best
We've been mixing 50:50 c/12 and prem forever with no issues at all. And when I turn boost up I just add more c-12

Hope this helps you

You can check TSS utube and Jason Prins Utube channels... These turbos installed by boostit run exactly like a stock sled from low to high rpm but with the extra HP! Just keep in mind when you add an extra 100 HP you are gonna probably need a rear skid to keep the front end down on the big hills.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much power are you making at 5psi?
And how much did your turbo kit cost? I bet it was 5 times the price of twin pipes.

If im wrong back it up. You said nothing to prove my info wrong. Unless you misunderstood me. I did not mean that you run twin pipes with a turbo. I meamt instead of a turbo. I havent gotten to run my setup yet due to a lot of unrelated downtime, but i will be running around 10-12 psi. On straight av gas.

Last edited:

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And how much did your turbo kit cost? I bet it was 5 times the price of twin pipes.

If im wrong back it up. You said nothing to prove my info wrong. Unless you misunderstood me. I did not mean that you run twin pipes with a turbo. I meamt instead of a turbo.

FK the Internet.... You come to revy with your stock motor with twin pipes and ill be there with my turbo at 6 lbs... And we can video the two and do side by side comparison.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If im wrong back it up. You said nothing to prove my info wrong. Unless you misunderstood me. I did not mean that you run twin pipes with a turbo. I meamt instead of a turbo. I havent gotten to run my setup yet due to a lot of unrelated downtime, but i will be running around 10-12 psi. On straight av gas.

I dont know how to put the popcorn thingy on here but this should get good. LOL

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've rode both a tss machine, and a boost it machine. They had very similar performance attributes. Both running same psi, straight Av. I run a little different setup myself. I also run straight av. Turbos are the way of the future, might as well get on it now. Fuel issues are never a problem. Just try not to smile to much.

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I know who you are... I sold you my factory polaris 155 track That you are putting on your tipped up rails... I will even leave my pro at 6 lbs and I'm sure it will be faster than yours at 12 lbs.

I will be heading to revy after this next snow storm this week, I will let you know what day so you can come out.

Last edited:

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you barefooter. i got to ride a buddies 13 cat with a boondocker race gas setup with a linderman port job and holy crap i fell in love!!! there is no lag at all with his setup. That extra power is so nice when you have to slow down, turn and get right back into it she would just sing and hold the eff on!!! it was also nice because i know how to ride the new cat chassis.

You sure did dangle on that thing!!

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And JP I dont want to start a huge internet war but I am so sick of you telling us how awesome your sled is and challenging every single person to "come to revy I will spank you"You sound like a huge D bag. I am sure your sled goes good and you can ride it like no other but your sled is NOT the only one that works good. THis guy started a thread to ask advice not for you to challenge everyone here that runs boost. Stop acting like a stovepiper.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duck and cover everyone. This could be the real deal!!! If ya got a desk get the flak under it!!!!

INTERNET WAR!!!!!!

bahahahaha

Top Bottom