S-module tweaked if lower a arm is mangled?

Atraz

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know how I might know if my s module is tweaked. Smoked a rock or something pretty good the other day while carving downhill. I think I hit something with the outside of the ski while counter steering hard. Lower a arm is pretty taco'd and the left ski sits back about 3 inches. The upper a arm and the s module look fine but I really wonder. I was thinking of fixing it myself but I do have insurance if it might be worth the $500 deductible to get it fixed from the shop. Any thoughts? Any tips on changing out the lower a arm if that is all it is. Haven't touched the tools for many years now...

thanks!!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Socket set, Drill, some sharp bits, and some simple mechanical knowhow and you could do this yourself in no time.

Lower a arm is about a 2 hour job the first time..

You could see if the holes are elongated beneath the pipe where the front of the a arms mount.

Your lower suspension casting should show signs of trauma... take a square to it and see.

I replacesd just the casting and managed to get mine close to ½" difference. It was close to 2 inches before.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did a '14 that mangled the upper a arm. Got lucky and never bent the s module. Maybe you got lucky too.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could almost see an upper have less trauma. Less metal in total and the arm is shorter, thus reducing the tweak..//

Just did a '14 that mangled the upper a arm. Got lucky and never bent the s module. Maybe you got lucky too.

Vets07

Reaction score
Socket set, Drill, some sharp bits, and some simple mechanical knowhow and you could do this yourself in no time.

Lower a arm is about a 2 hour job the first time..

You could see if the holes are elongated beneath the pipe where the front of the a arms mount.

Your lower suspension casting should show signs of trauma... take a square to it and see.

I replacesd just the casting and managed to get mine close to ½" difference. It was close to 2 inches before.

what he said

canadude

Reaction score
If you have the time and a little know how, I agree with CUSO.I had the S Module off the sled in about 6 hours. It was fine but had to replace the S Module support ( aluminum cast where the a-arms bolt up too). The biggest issue is a 1/4 rivet gun for pulling the larger rivets. Accufast in Edmonton has everything you need. By what you have to from BRP but get every thing else local. You will save lots of $$$$.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can use bolts instead of the rivets also.
Makes it easier the first time and a lot easier the next time. Lol

Dhuey92

Reaction score
You can tell if its tweaked by looking at where your shocking is sitting between the upper a-arm, it should be pretty much centered. Im a huge advocate of the grip n rip s-module and upper and lower a-arm braces. I decided to try them out after replacing my s-module. I smoked a rock in Decemeber and broke the lower a-arm clean. Thanks to the braces my s-module is still in perfect shape.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know how I might know if my s module is tweaked. Smoked a rock or something pretty good the other day while carving downhill. I think I hit something with the outside of the ski while counter steering hard. Lower a arm is pretty taco'd and the left ski sits back about 3 inches. The upper a arm and the s module look fine but I really wonder. I was thinking of fixing it myself but I do have insurance if it might be worth the $500 deductible to get it fixed from the shop. Any thoughts? Any tips on changing out the lower a arm if that is all it is. Haven't touched the tools for many years now...

thanks!!

i destroyed my lower a arm and shock. Was back over 6 inches. S module was fine. Is your shock bent? If so consider buying the whole ras2 front end. If not and is only lower a arm consider the high clearance kit from doo.

sledneckx69

Reaction score
You can tell if its tweaked by looking at where your shocking is sitting between the upper a-arm, it should be pretty much centered. Im a huge advocate of the grip n rip s-module and upper and lower a-arm braces. I decided to try them out after replacing my s-module. I smoked a rock in Decemeber and broke the lower a-arm clean. Thanks to the braces my s-module is still in perfect shape.
I like what you have to say about the grip and rip product. I have $30gs into my sled and for the sake of my marriage, need to try and keep this one minty!!! Where did you get, price, and does any one else use this product, if so, what are your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dhuey92

Reaction score
I like what you have to say about the grip and rip product. I have $30gs into my sled and for the sake of my marriage, need to try and keep this one minty!!! Where did you get, price, and does any one else use this product, if so, what are your thoughts. Thanks.

I bought my braces at a local sled shop. One was $70 and the other was $80 I believe. It saved me from spending $300 again on an s-module. I still have the upper a-arm braces that I have yet to install, I think those were the expensive ones.

Here is the aftermath of the rock I hit. Cant imagine what the s-module would have looked like if I didnt have the braces.
IMG_3084.jpg

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't vouch first hand on how it handles an outright impact, but I grazed the odd stump, rock and so far so good. I bought directly from the source.

Good prices and delivery too.

crazy_cappa

Reaction score
I think it comes down to the kind of impact and luck. I had the grip and rip full brace set on my 14 from day one. I was on a bit of a sidehill in low snow and clipped a rock which stopped the sled dead and sent me over the bars. My lower a arm looked no where near as bad as the one pictured above but had a tweak to it for sure. Put a new a arm on and my shocks are off center a bit and one ski sits back a little farther than the other. Its not real bad and may have been worse if I didn't have the bracing but they don't garantee you won't tweak an s module on minor or major impact either. I have since wondered if the alt impact a arms would have been a better buy.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy mangled his lower A arm, bent shock and tie rod, broke ski .. sled looked pretty mangled !!!

replaced all those parts and everything lined up perfect .. no damage to S module .. he has grip n rip braces .. maybe a testament to how good those are !? maybe he got lucky who knows

Top Bottom