RV power issues

Dexx29

Reaction score
Just bought a used 24 foot travel trailer. The unit has 50 AMP AC service and 12v DC service. I have 2 issues here:

1. When I plug in the trailer in to my house, I am using a 3 prong RV plug to standard 110 plug adaptor, then to an extension cord to a GFI plug on the house. The second I plug this in to the house, the GFI plug on the house receptacle instantly trips. So, thinking the trailer is trying to draw more power than the receptacle has, I shut off all of the breakers on the fuse panel in the trailer and the GFI plug still trips? Why is this? do I have a short somewhere in the system?

2. The RV has a 2 way Fridge, (110v & gas). The fridge control panel wont illuminate, and as such, the burner wont light. The burner should light off the 12v system automatically, but it looks like it isnt working at all. I think there is enough "juice" in the battery because all of the lights work. That being said, the battery is brand new and hasn't really been completely charged yet.

Both of these issues could be because I am a "n00b" (newby) at the whole RV experience, but the trailer is 20 years old, so I don't think I should rule out "gremlins".

Thanks for any help!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Try changing extension cords.Or try using a inverter/ generator to remove the plug in as the problem...Use a plug in from inside the house ?

Last edited:

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is the breaker for the outside wall plug tripping or the gfi trip (the little button on the gfi receptacle)

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like you have a short on the ac side. If you have a ohm meter, check resistance to ground.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk 2

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GFI Tripping
Like Medler said try a different ext cord, GFI's don't like old cords If cord ends are laying in wet grass or getting rained on can cause GFI to trip too. Try plugging into a regular receptacle in your garage or house.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1) try a different extension cord. If the GFCI still trips, you have an electrical problem somewhere. Unplug the trailer from the cord and try again. If it still trips, the problem is the cord. If it doesn't, it's the trailer. Turn each AC breaker off one at a time and try again for each breaker. This should narrow it down to which circuit is the problem. ( trailer breakers).

2) check the fuse for the fridge, sounds like the controls aren't getting any power. The panel should light up when it's on and running on propane.

Older trailers can be a headache, but newer ones often aren't much better. Start with the simple fixes, then get deeper and more complex if they don't work. Try not to get frustrated, and get used to sanding on your head with a flashlight to fix things!! Good luck!!

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you try to start the fridge do you hear it clicking like its trying to light the pilot light ?? If so then maybe the thermo cuppler or might not be getting propane

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like said above unplug trailer, try cord. If it doesn't trip plug in trailer with main breaker off if trips u possibly have a cut wire touching metal between main lugs and plug. If doesn't trip then try each breaker one at a time. Had similar problem, turned out to be cut wires on my rv cord.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will detect the source (ac or gas) and auto switch only when set to automatic. If it is set to gas it will only run on gas

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also make sure the a/c is not switched on and or the 110 element is not on for the hot water tank. Both will draw way more than the fridge.

If u think its the fridge , take the outside cover off and unplug the 110 cord.

99% of the time is plugged into a socket there.

sent from my I phone azz kicking HTC

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the GFI is tripping,it has nothing to do with being overloaded.The GFI trips typically when the white wire (neutral) is joined to the ground (green or bare) wire (Alowing some power to return through ground).Put an ohm meter between the white and ground wires on your RV or cords.Then start to remove white wires from the terminals in your electrical panel till it is found.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Tex and Sledn said...do that first. (it is a 30 amp plug, not a 50 btw)

Biggest draws are the AC, then the elec hot water, then the converter. Fridge draws very little. If you get your plug-in issues sorted, and your fridge doesn't work, check the thermocouple. Could also be the board. Don't buy a factory board....Google "Dinosaur electronics".

JDen

Reaction score
A bunch of us in our area had the same problem with the gfi plugs, solution-get rid of the gfi plugs, problem will likely dissappear. If you drag your cord through the grass it will likely grab ahold of enough moisture to trip the damn thing. As for the fridge, I'd check the fuses as someone stated earlier.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My RV fridge has a tinny switch on the bottom panel, it is easy to miss. If it's in the off position nothing works. Why they would have that switch there I don't know as I have an on and off switch up top as well.....

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
What kinda of fridge? I have a dometic fridge in my trailer and there is now light to tell if it is working the only light that comes on is the interior fridge light and a fault light if it doesn't light. Remember it take about 4 hours on propane to cool down the fridge. I would go to your breaker panel shut everything off then plug in the trailer see what happens then turn 1 off and off at a time to see where there problem is

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you try to start the fridge do you hear it clicking like its trying to light the pilot light ?? If so then maybe the thermo cuppler or might not be getting propane

Had an old camper the the igniter would foul, it would try to start ie hear the clicking, but woulnt light, took it apart and cleaned up the contacts and worked for a couple years till the contacts fouled again....

Like Cdnfireman said, unplug the trailer, turn all breakers off and plug back in to an reg outlet inside the garage, then start turning the breakers on one at a time, it will narrow down the hunt....

Dexx29

Reaction score
Wow - this is all awesome info. Thanks a million guys! I am going to start troubleshooting again tonight. This time I brought a multi-meter to help figure things out.

Top Bottom