Installing 30 amps RV plug into trailer.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had a 120 V 15A plug installed in my trailer but with heat gun lights battery charger and electric heater going it was too much so want to put a 30 Amp service in. I found the receptacle I want to use to plug into but realized I will need some circuit breakers now. What have guys been doing for a circuit panel?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy a plug that will plug into your 15 amp but you will have to make sure the power going in is 30 amp like when you go to a campsite can be 15,30 or 50 amp plugs in your camper will be 15 amp breakers so use more than one plug in

mattlynde12

Reaction score
Not sure if you need the 12v side but this is what I have in my trailer. Pretty slick and compact setup.
c221a936b48afb7d7cad3de07b2c38a9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy a plug that will plug into your 15 amp but you will have to make sure the power going in is 30 amp like when you go to a campsite can be 15,30 or 50 amp plugs in your camper will be 15 amp breakers so use more than one plug in
Sure and the 15 amp wiring melting will help heat his trailer if he has 30 amps worth of load.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had a 120 V 15A plug installed in my trailer but with heat gun lights battery charger and electric heater going it was too much so want to put a 30 Amp service in. I found the receptacle I want to use to plug into but realized I will need some circuit breakers now. What have guys been doing for a circuit panel?

Turn your electric heat off for a 1/2 hour before you plug in after being on the road and you will be fine! Depending on what you have for a charger they will pull a lot of amps when they are first plugged in.

How much heat gun action to you do. A heat gun is usually close to 1500 watts. That is the max a standard 15 amp circuit is designed for. Space heater also usually 1500 watts too.

Yes a 30 amp rv supply would be great at home if you have a rv plug. But on the road you gotta learn to know your big loads and just use one at a time.

Ideally it would be best to fuse your trailer on the weak link side of things so if you forget to turn one of you big loads off and trip a breaker you trip the one you have access too and not the breaker you need the hotel maintenance guy to reset.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your going to wire it for heavy power, mini breakers or din rail mount breakers are an option if you only need a couple circuits. I went with a 120/250 volt 30 amp twist lock system vs a 120 volt 30 amp rv circuit. That gives me the option to use adapters and plug into 2 car plug circuits that are on different phases on the road to get 2 15 amp circuits if needed. But I really only use one.

Just be sure to protect the wire accordingly each time you reduce wire size.

Amazon product ASIN B07S6156QQ

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would throw in a small 4 circuit main lug sub panel, something like this. Then a couple 20amp circuits should cover your needs.

The down side to fusing your trailer circuits at 20 amps is you will Trip the breakers you don’t have access too when your on the road if you leave too much on, before you trip the ones you can reset yourself.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The down side to fusing your trailer circuits at 20 amps is you will Trip the breakers you don’t have access too when your on the road if you leave too much on, before you trip the ones you can reset yourself.
Valid point. As long as that's kept in mind when plugging in to a 15a circuit.

Definitely beneficial if running off a large enough generator or a proper 30a RV circuit.

Top Bottom