Rolling hills fernie

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anybody give me some info on this area!? How far of a ride on trail outta staging area and is there lots of trees in the riding area thanks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is 15 km up the Coal Creek trail to the beginning of the rideable part of the Rolling Hills. It is a huge area with open meadows skirted by thick trees, rolling open/chambered hills, and lots of trees. Some areas have tighter trees than others. I would venture to say the rideable area of the Rolling Hills to be in the neighbourhood of 1600 square kilometres or maybe even larger.

A lot of people have trouble finding good riding areas as they are not very adventuresome. A very large percentage of riders stay to the open areas around the cabins.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree to take a gps if your not familiar with the area. Years back my first time up there we were lost for around 3 hours. It was bluebird and sunny with 2' of powder so it didn't create too much anxiety for the group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is 15 km up the Coal Creek trail to the beginning of the rideable part of the Rolling Hills. It is a huge area with open meadows skirted by thick trees, rolling open/chambered hills, and lots of trees. Some areas have tighter trees than others. I would venture to say the rideable area of the Rolling Hills to be in the neighbourhood of 1600 square kilometres or maybe even larger.

A lot of people have trouble finding good riding areas as they are not very adventuresome. A very large percentage of riders stay to the open areas around the cabins.
Yeah. What he said!!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I should have added that the weather can come in fast (particularly at the higher elevations) and if you don't readily know a way out you will be in trouble. A few circles in the trees will also cause you to get a little disoriented.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Can anyone post pics thanks

Most of my videos are from the Rolling Hills. You can click on the link in my signature. The Cowboy Basin ones are from Elkford and the carving meadows are all from Elkford. There are over 100 to choose from. Should give you a fairly good overview.

You can also look in the 2015-16 Fernie Conditions thread. There are a lot of pics in there.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks and what about a trail pass!? Really appreciate it, how's the safety on the rolling hills

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks and what about a trail pass!? Really appreciate it, how's the safety on the rolling hills

Trail pass is $20. Not many places that are risky. Just have to have your wits about you and be aware of cornices above you in some areas and some steeper drop-ins into a basin in front of the first cabin. There is also a risky area at the Notch if you get that far. Lots to ride before the Notch.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks and what about the trail into the rolling hills is it rough and tricky!? Cause it was rough as chit near Corbin as we rode to limestone it was Brutal on us and our sleds

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am tryin to talk my wife into a mountain ride in the near future as our 12 yr old who has been on sleds since he was 4 is really pushin his mom to come ridin with me to the hills. Is this a good area to take someone who has never rode the mountains as a first ride. Don't want to scare the crap out of her or she will never let our boy come to thr hills with me. At least not til he is 18 anyways. lol TIA for any feedback.
P.S. Are here any outfits for that area that have certified guides. I think this would help ease her apprehension a little..
Derek

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rolling hills area is good for taking a first timer. Even if you stay close to the cabins, maybe ride the pipeline for a bit and get back to the truck without putting her into anything that looks dangerous, she will understand why you go to the mts.
Good luck and ride safe

Top Bottom